Welcome to the Generational Dynamics Forum!

Start here, say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
John

Welcome to the Generational Dynamics Forum!

Post by John »

If this is your first visit, we're glad you're here. Feel free to
post something about yourself.

401kobsessive

Re: Welcome to the Generational Dynamics Forum!

Post by 401kobsessive »

I found this site about a year ago. I had been following Bill Fleckinstien with MSN. That was the first I had heard of the Subprime issue two years ago. Scared me bad enough to pull my money out and wait for the decline. Being an engineer, I am obessive about being ready for the next issue. Trunk of car: First aid kit, Tire pump, flashlight, Pistol, extra fan belt, you get the picture. Anyhow, stumbled on generational dynamics site. I agreed with most of what John was saying, so I became a daily reader. John and I disagree that this thing is mostly generation X's fault. Those to blame are criminals across all gender, race and age groups. Anyhow, I plan to stop in and read your thoughts as a regular. Glad to see I am one of the first to post.

Rafaelloello

Post by Rafaelloello »

401KObsessive: Had to laugh. Also an engineer. Every time I open up the rear of our car I laugh at the big pillowy pair of XL size purple ski gloves that I leave there year round. They're there because I don't want my wife or myself to be there without gloves in case the car breaks down or a tire change is required at -5 degrees.

Welcome to the over-prepared club!

btmiller

Post by btmiller »

I first found this site around 2003 from a link in the Fourth Turning forums and became a semi-regular reader. As events have started moving faster (particularly in the financial industry), I've started stopping by this site daily. I was first introduced to the work of Strauss and Howe in the late '90s, and was intrigued by the predictive power of generational theory.

Many thanks to John for keeping this web site up and running.

isaac

Post by isaac »

Thanks for setting this up. Reading your blog has helped me get into a much safer position and I feel like I'm doing about as best as I can. I feel bad for all the people that are about to lose all of there savings.

Matt1989

Post by Matt1989 »

I found this site in late 2004 after cruising around the fourthturning.com forums. My username was michaeleaston. Although I don't post there anymore (don't have much to add at this point and it can get a bit hectic over there), I still lurk at TFT daily. Together with a few others (especially '1990'), I created a map project that attempted to show the generational status of all countries. In addition, I began a project to project to detail the generational history of many nations covered in the map. Unfortunately, it was never brought to completion due to my sudden lack of enthusiasm for the project. There is a chance that I resume work in the future, but I'm quite busy and have little interest in contributing ATM.

I am very appreciative of what John has done with his work on generational theory, and despite a few minor quibbles, I agree with the basic GD structure. Hope this forum is successful!

MikeShadow

Post by MikeShadow »

Hey, John...I'm sure you recognize me. I've been following your work for several years, now, having followed some of your arguments on the 4T site. I see your work as an "application" of S&H's theoretical studies. As an X-er, I also disagree with your notion that X is largely to blame for what's happening right now. Seems to me too many of these seeds were sown long before X became any kind of a player in society. But, the fun is in hashing out these disagreements! :D

I'm glad you've started a forum, and look forward to visiting here daily. Thank you!

GeminiRising

Post by GeminiRising »

I too found this site about a year ago when I was researching on how to value the stock market. I am an Australian and value John's work and am very concerned for the future of the globe. With the US spending more than 10 times on defense than any other country, it leads me to believe this crash is expected because what will take place shortly after will be mere chaos. It will be good to chat with others users on this forum as it all unfolds and get a chat group going.

kmarkw

Post by kmarkw »

Hi Everyone, my name is Mark. I'm a 44 year old borderline boomer/Xer, and I've been reading the weblog for about a year now. I've noticed that people at work and others I know are afraid because they don't know what's coming. I'm afraid because I do know what's coming.

My oldest, a daughter (22) lives with my mother, and my Partner and I and our youngest son (16) have just sold our mobile home and we are moving in with my Mother. See, I'm not just reading the blog, I'm paying attention :-) Since my Mother's house is paid off, the worst we have to worry about is making sure the taxes are paid. We have about 3 months worth of food stocks put by and are working on extending that.

My friends and coworkers laugh about my "doom and gloom" but you'd be surprised by how many of them listen when I tell them: "Listen, everytime you go to the store pick up a bag of beans or lentils- they're cheap, they store easily and they are high in protein, and they might save your child's life one day soon."

I've noticed an odd trend when I discuss the coming crisis with people. For some reason they seem to think that somehow I'm predicting the "end of days" or "the apocalypse", (which I do believe will occur as some point, after all I believe "He will come again to judge both the living and the dead, whose kingdom will have no end"). I always seem to have to point out that what I see coming is not necessarily the end of the world, just the end of life as we have been living it.
Do any of you also notice people jumping to the same conclusion about you when discussing the coming storm?

limbus

Post by limbus »

Hello everyone, my name's Haydn. I only found out about this site very recently, and imagine my joy at discovering that as I'm 17 I'm going to be one of the ground troops in the greatest war in the history of mankind. Yay.

I'm looking forward to filling in some of the gaps in the GD timeline and feeling worried yet somehow smug as the world goes to hell.

I blame the Boomers rather than the Xers.