Access

The Silent Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, Generation-X, the Millennial Generation (or Generation-Y) and the Pivotal Generation (Generation Z)
John Vidi

Access

Post by John Vidi »

Hi. I'm a late X. I want to promote cooperation with the Boomers. Peace and love, etc.

But I had a thought related to culture. It was prompted by a conversation with my 60 year old friend. It is possible for someone my age to know Boomer culture better than a boomer, and this only because of access.

The conversation pivots on a small point. For my friend, Bruce Lee is the beginning and end of all martial arts films. No doubt he was the bright shining star. Today, however, we have access to just about every single MA film, and many of these can be watched instantly, many more than someone could ever watch. These are usually uncut and many in their original language. Wouldn't you say we have better access and less emotional attachment and so would be better qualified to judge? You could find similar examples with music. Imagine that someone loves Herman's Hermits because they never heard a masterpiece like "Forever Changes," on that old, narrow spectrum of media. I really feel lucky to be relatively young in a period of such access. What is a 10 year old going to prefer? Such free access is all he's ever known. In the doom and gloom, there's some hope here.

I said before. I acknowledge Boomer culture as superior, but I don't worship it.

sarahS4621

Re: Access

Post by sarahS4621 »

I would have to agree with you on the access being so much better for evaluating the "best" of a culture. The kids today who only know such access are at such a great advantage to better themselves; the question is will they use or waste that advantage?