Generation Debt is in for a Rough Ride

The Silent Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, Generation-X, the Millennial Generation (or Generation-Y) and the Pivotal Generation (Generation Z)
StilesBC

Generation Debt is in for a Rough Ride

Post by StilesBC »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... m_mostview

Article written by a GenXer blaming the Boomers for all their problems. I suppose a Generation who has never been very responsible can't be expected to take responsibility for their actions. This seems very characteristic in that sense. But it irks me to see Xers blaming Boomers for their problems.

Perhaps someone wants to send an e-mail to this writer and set her straight.

Centuron

Re: Generation Debt is in for a Rough Ride

Post by Centuron »

StilesBC wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... m_mostview

Article written by a GenXer blaming the Boomers for all their problems. I suppose a Generation who has never been very responsible can't be expected to take responsibility for their actions. This seems very characteristic in that sense. But it irks me to see Xers blaming Boomers for their problems.

Perhaps someone wants to send an e-mail to this writer and set her straight.
The Boomer blaming from the author, justified or not, is irrelevant by now. That's what is irksome to me, lots of finger pointing but not much thinking. What's done is done, and now's the time to plan, brace and hope for the best. Shame and blame will fall where it needs to, so I'm not worried about setting people straight.
However, I have seen trends amongst my peers recently that confirm the younger generations have been getting hit steadily harder by this economic trouble. Not that elders haven't; I've seen trends there too that are just as ominous.

I've been lucky as most of the elders I know still have employment, but with cutbacks and layoffs their workloads have grown to almost the equivalent of two jobs for one. I personally worry about the health of my father and uncle because of this, though I thank the stars they still have work at all. I've seen others laid off or homeless, and more of them on the street.

What's been especially alarming is how scarce jobs have become for my age range. I know a few people already graduated from college who have searched for jobs for months and have had no success. This year, a startling majority of my peers can't even find a seasonal job despite their efforts, and we're all clinging to what work we have. This is a very awkward age to have to deal with financial crisis as most of us are in school or just starting out. Some have had to drop school all together. With barely any income during school, disappearing prospects after graduation, and mounting debt, moral is lowering. I can only imagine what those in high school are dealing with. I think the views in the video in the Millennials Wondering topic are spreading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WMTTrOrKVI

I found this article from last year about French unemployment. It seems to reflect a more stark version of the attitude progression I've been noticing.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/133243.html

I've also been seeing more older people in jobs where younger people are often expected, like entry-level work. This is understandable, as the older generations are having to go back to work to compensate for losing jobs or money elsewhere. It's ominous, though, because it means the already shrinking job market for younger generations is getting pinched further by the return of older workers into the market.

Right now these are still emerging patterns, mere observations of mine, not too dire at least in my sphere. But I expect things will get worse before they get better. My parents have also said "Don't worry about us, we worry more about you." Younger generations are indeed feeling like Generation Debt, and it looks like we are, in fact, in for a rough ride. I hope we're ready...