Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The Silent Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, Generation-X, the Millennial Generation (or Generation-Y) and the Pivotal Generation (Generation Z)
thomasglee

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Post by thomasglee »

We've all heard this quote and I am curious as to your (the members') thoughts on this subject. It appears as if the process of Generational Dynamics prevents us from NOT repeating history.

I am a Christian that believes in the end-times and as such, I believe I know from study where we are headed. But for the sake of argument and for the purpose of discussion, let's take Biblical prophecy out of the picture and just discuss this from a theoretical stand-point. Can history be stopped from repeating? I think not and perhaps that is what the Bible was preparing us to understand.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

VinceP1974

Re: Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Post by VinceP1974 »

Before the Iraq War, I had hope that the country was in the hands of reasonably competent people. It had appeared as if they had done some crash-study of Islam in the immediate period following 9/11

I had confidence that we weren't going to be making the suicidal mistakes the Europeans were with capitulating to the demands of Muslims and the suicidal debasement of thier own heritage

But then in 2004 after the election it seemed like Bush decided that everything he did in his first term should be reversed or undermined. And it seems like the State Departmentification of the government happened overnight. Bush stopped talking about Caliphates and instead there were language codes that "Islamic" shouldn't be used to describe terrorism.

The Democrats, God love them, have taken to holding to any position as long as its the diameteric opposite of Republicans , no matter if it's appropiate or not. So because Republicans have taken to the Defend Country against Islamic Jihad position, Democrats have settled on the USA creates Jihad position.

So now we hvae total incoherence. There's only a few people in Congress who will speak honestly about this and other problems and everyone else just seems complacent.

I've gone through a decade-long total disillusionment about this country and the prospects for the future.