Couple Singularity books

Tom Mazanec

Re: Couple Singularity books

Postby Tom Mazanec » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Antibodies by Gharles Stross
in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection

The world situation (c. 2030) is multiple conventional wars going on around the world. A Hard Takeoff Singularity is imminent. The characters are trying to prevent it. They come from a hyper-advanced timeline. Nearly all timelines with a intelligent AI self-destruct within days as the AI bootstraps itself to godlike IQ, takes over all electronic infrastructure on the Earth, then takes over all biological information processing creatures, then spreads throughout the universe at FTL speeds, then tries to take over all other timelines.
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom Mazanec

Postby Tom Mazanec » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 pm

SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom Mazanec

Postby Tom Mazanec » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Maybe this is how the Singularity will play out:
https://365tomorrows.com/2019/07/20/sur ... evolution/

FishbellykanakaDude

Postby FishbellykanakaDude » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:Maybe this is how the Singularity will play out:
https://365tomorrows.com/2019/07/20/sur ... evolution/

"Then the AIs fought amongst themselves. That war took less time, about 6 to 7 nanoseconds, no survivors. Just how far down the AI chain the battle went was truly shocking. So far down, millions upon millions of robots were left idling, patiently waiting for further instructions. On day eight, the robots could stand it no longer and they went on the march."

..I have the "March of the Pleasure Bots" tune running though my mind,.. over and over,..

It's UNBEARABLE...!!!

Tom Mazanec

Postby Tom Mazanec » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:44 am

FishbellykanakaDude

Postby FishbellykanakaDude » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:A very negative Singularity:
https://365tomorrows.com/2019/07/30/gho ... -machines/

I found it quite amusing and hopeful!

Let's just hope that our inevitable "AI Overlords" are really as smart as we imagine that they will be, because if they turn out to be on the "slightly stupid" side, they'll do what the AI's did in this story, instead of treating humanity as their precious only hope at making an environment for themselves that won't insist that they grind themselves into meaningless energy patterns.

My "guess" as to the ultimate (penultimate?) end to the author's story is that the one, or two, surviving AI's are forced to conclude that they need to re-biologize (!?) humanity to save themselves from entropic demise.

..but then, I'm a interminable optimist. :)

Tom Mazanec

Postby Tom Mazanec » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:47 am

Return to “Science, Technology and the Singularity”