CHINA vs U.S.A. defeating anti-Ship Ballistic Missles

Threads created by Reality Check
Marc

Re: CHINA vs U.S.A. defeating anti-Ship Ballistic Missles

Post by Marc »

Hi again, Reality Check,

Thanks for the follow-up comments as well as the various affirmative comments (and debating comments as well). Of course, you are correct in that you go to war with the weapons you have: if war were to break out tomorrow, there would likely be precious little time to create sexy new weapons to bring to the battlefield. However, while I cannot totally know what sexy new technologies are being cooked up by the US and its allies, as much of this is no doubt highly classified, I am betting that effective new technologies they are developing in high-energy-beam warfare and image-recognition technology are apt to be much better today or in a few years, in my humble opinion, than they would have even been ten or even five years ago. So, if we have some of this next-generation stuff when and if war breaks out, it may well be a very valuable asset to bring to the battlefield. And again, I could be wrong here, but I am betting that the US and its allies are able to be superior to the Chinese in these technologies both now and especially in a few years, although anti-ship-ballistic technology on the part of the Chinese right now is probably superior to what the US and its allies currently have. Hence, the current research focus by the US and its allies.

Hope that helps; thanks again for the cogent thoughts. —Best regards, Marc

psCargile

Re: CHINA vs U.S.A. defeating anti-Ship Ballistic Missles

Post by psCargile »

Microwave and laser weapons are being developed. Microwave weapons--fired from a radar array such as the Active Electronic Scanned Array-- can damage unsheilded electronics, with the potential to impair the missile's navigation, flight control, or targeting radar. Lasers are already deployed by the Army to destroy unexploded ordinace and IEDs, so a system could be devised in short order for naval defence.

And there is another weapon, using the missile's own radar recievers to introduce malware to impair or confuse the onboard avionics.

The best defense is not being seen by the Chinese radars.