Race and Racism

As requested, this sub-forum is for partying, fun, gossip, conundrums, flirting, comedy, tragedy, or whatever.
Erica1327

Re: Race and Racism

Post by Erica1327 »

ironclark wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:05 am
pbrower2a1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am
There is a difference between a culture and a race. I guess the major example is the ghetto culture. If you believe if you are going to get ahead, you have to become a sports star, a drug pusher, or a mother, you get stuck in a rut. And yet, with people not hiring minorities that display that culture, there is enough truth in it. You cannot understand urban problems without understanding the urban culture.
Sports stars are usually winners -- if they don't mess up. But that is a high-reward, low-likelihood career choice. Getting away from the ghetto is itself a rebellion from the ghetto. ("Ghetto" obviously does not mean "black"; there are lily-white areas such as much of Appalachia in which the housing isn't crowded. If a self-destructive way of life is so entrenched in a place that one must rebel against it to escape it, then that area has problems).
But race is not culture. If you grew up in a region where the self defeating beliefs are not obvious, you are likely to grow up without the ghetto culture. My career was software development for the military. I worked with people who have an engineer’s or military perspective. Assume ghetto culture and you are way off. The minorities if they had once been tainted with it had long since had it overwhelmed by other experience.
Having steady work with a middle income is non-ghetto. Getting a solid education is non-ghetto. Getting people in a ghetto to give up ways that consign them to failure is non-ghetto... and heroic.
So you have to know ghetto culture exists, and that you have to deal with it to deal with urban problems, but you cannot assume that all people with a given skin tone fit one particular pattern.
Most of us know examples. Speaking proper English, refusing to use profanity except under stress, having good work habits... maybe we are surprised at times, but then some people defy stereotypes.
I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to omegle cps test get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.
But England has its ways, and people adapt or fail. So it is if one is from some dying city in Ohio.
thank you!
Totally agree about racism isn't part of culture.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Time preference is a quality associated with races, thus one of the large differences, among many others.

Feelings and egalitarianism are almost complete lies, definitely unreliable.

AlbertRichmond

Post by AlbertRichmond »

Bob Butler wrote:
There is a difference between a culture and a race. I guess the major example is the ghetto culture. If you believe if you are going to get ahead, you have to become a sports star, a drug pusher, or a mother, you get stuck in a rut. And yet, with people not hiring minorities that display that culture, there is enough truth in it. You cannot understand urban problems without understanding the urban culture.

But race is not culture. If you grew up in a region where the self defeating beliefs are not obvious, you are likely to grow up without the ghetto culture. My career was software development for the military. I worked with people who have an engineer’s or military perspective. Assume ghetto culture and you are way off. The minorities if they had once been tainted with it had long since had it overwhelmed by other experience.

So you have to know ghetto culture exists, and that you have to deal with it to deal with urban problems, but you cannot assume that all people with a given skin tone fit one particular pattern.

I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.
I agree with your words and want to add some more. Race refers to the concept of dividing of individuals into different groups on basis of various sets of physical characteristics and the process of ascribing social meaning to those groups. Culture describes the ethnicity of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion, norms customs etc.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

AlbertRichmond wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:38 pm
Bob Butler wrote:

I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.
I agree with your words and want to add some more. Race refers to the concept of dividing of individuals into different groups on basis of various sets of physical characteristics and the process of ascribing social meaning to those groups. Culture describes the ethnicity of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion, norms customs etc.
Doesn't that make all people who talk about group X "racists"? Why do some people who talk about groups, dividing them to point out that they should be helped, for example, get a pass?

Post by Guest »

JCP wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:57 am
richard5za wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 am
Higg, I read with great interest your recent posts. My observation is that the bulls and the bears of Wall Street have become paranoid about inflation and what that means the FEd will do with interest rates. At the last two CPI announcements I made very good money watching which way the market was going after the announcement and within one minute of the announcement trading in that direction. Very short term of course

Both in October and November I made my monthly target with that event alone, so I have had two excellent months thanks to Wall Street paranoia

My view is that the market will chop around until December 13 when the next CPI announcement happens. It remains to be seen how profitable it might be
What terrifies me is the violent reaction of the ethnic minorities (or POCs) when economy crashes and welfare benefits no longer cover their rent and expenses. Western cities in North America and Europe are already no go zones, soon they will be dead zones. The sounds of shattering money bubbles will soon fill the air, along with the screams of the dying.
As a young estate agent at the end of the 1980's I sold a house for a Metropolitan Police Sergeant. He told me that young black men are very different to deal with than white men. He said that with a lot of black men there's barely any warning that violence is on the cards before they explode. He also said they were prone to a level of violence far out of relation to the nature of the incident they are involved in. Not long after, I moved to west Wales (bliss) and while working on a building site I got chatting to a lorry driver delivering to the site. He had a London accent so I asked what he was doing so far west. He said he'd been a fireman in London but got fed up with black kids throwing bricks at him when attending fires, set deliberately to lure them in for stoning. I'm now in my 50's and my conclusion to much of the trouble that we see is that black people don't value family life. This leaves their children without a moral compass. They are cannon fodder in a society that rewards women for breeding without building a family with a father at the table. And they cement their place at the bottom by voting for left leaning politics and screaming victim instead of pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and making the best of themselves.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

AlbertRichmond wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:38 pm
Bob Butler wrote:

It is not only race that results in prejudice against a group, or a belief that many in a group behave in a certain way. I see many intense religious wishing to expand their religious doctrines into cultures that do not share their faith. I see the MAGA crowd dealing with the Big Lie and various conspiracy theories, to be ready to believe known liars.* These seem like reasonable conclusions to come to as long as you don’t assume it correct of all members of the group. If I have an attitude towards Republicans, I have to remember there are traditional Republicans still who want to preserve the best of American culture. You cannot assume a blanket prejudice, even if there is some basis for it. Yet you have to acknowledge that some trends exist in order to address problems.

* Judging from the midterms, the trend to believe liars and deny elections seems to be fading. Most of the election denying Trump candidates lost, yet conceded their loses, are not going around election denying without evidence. The voters have overdosed on that and are quashing it.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Guest wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:38 pm
JCP wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:57 am
richard5za wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 am
Higg, I read with great interest your recent posts. My observation is that the bulls and the bears of Wall Street have become paranoid about inflation and what that means the FEd will do with interest rates. At the last two CPI announcements I made very good money watching which way the market was going after the announcement and within one minute of the announcement trading in that direction. Very short term of course

Both in October and November I made my monthly target with that event alone, so I have had two excellent months thanks to Wall Street paranoia

My view is that the market will chop around until December 13 when the next CPI announcement happens. It remains to be seen how profitable it might be
What terrifies me is the violent reaction of the ethnic minorities (or POCs) when economy crashes and welfare benefits no longer cover their rent and expenses. Western cities in North America and Europe are already no go zones, soon they will be dead zones. The sounds of shattering money bubbles will soon fill the air, along with the screams of the dying.
As a young estate agent at the end of the 1980's I sold a house for a Metropolitan Police Sergeant. He told me that young black men are very different to deal with than white men. He said that with a lot of black men there's barely any warning that violence is on the cards before they explode. He also said they were prone to a level of violence far out of relation to the nature of the incident they are involved in. Not long after, I moved to west Wales (bliss) and while working on a building site I got chatting to a lorry driver delivering to the site. He had a London accent so I asked what he was doing so far west. He said he'd been a fireman in London but got fed up with black kids throwing bricks at him when attending fires, set deliberately to lure them in for stoning. I'm now in my 50's and my conclusion to much of the trouble that we see is that black people don't value family life. This leaves their children without a moral compass. They are cannon fodder in a society that rewards women for breeding without building a family with a father at the table. And they cement their place at the bottom by voting for left leaning politics and screaming victim instead of pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and making the best of themselves.
Research r vs k selection in evolution, Guest.

Combine that with the bishes of the world and you see all the fires that your fireman talked about, both literal and metaphorical.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:28 pm
Doesn't that make all people who talk about group X "racists"? Why do some people who talk about groups, dividing them to point out that they should be helped, for example, get a pass?
Generational Dynamic points out that many cultures attempt to oppress or conquer other cultures, and that could imply race, religion, values, etc... This is good to be aware of, bad to encourage in your own group. If you focus on insulting, degrading, oppressing, conquering or otherwise giving another race a hard time, you are apt to attract the 'racist' label. If you are out to help someone out who may be from a group often behind, you are less likely to attract that particular label.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Your system is anti-christ, as you think that groups will stop vying for power, no matter who they are. The losers are being given power by the overlords right now, and you rejoice. But you can't see the irony - certain groups are far more competent at certain things, yes more advanced, than others. Without Jesus Christ, your MO is always resources, power, and games, including tribalism. That's because that's the trick of the evil spirits and their master, in this world.

You still haven't figured it out. It's sad.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Christ’s approach is love. The early church was centered on charity. The approach was to share and help those in need. Thus you have the modern sanctuary cities and helping refugees, things which the Democrats tend to support.

Like the people and organizations of New York, Martha’s Vineyard or Washington DC being willing to help refugees, but the governors of Florida and Texas with their political stunts do not have the common curtesy to ask where to send people or say when they are coming. They hope to gather a following by hurting those in need, rather than by helping them.

Yes, certain groups are more competent at different things. Unfortunately some are better at conquest, oppression, harassment and prejudice. This is quite the opposite of the Christian approach, quite in keeping with much of the conservative community. I would suggest the progressive habit of domestic spending is in line with the original Christian love and sharing. It is more secular than religious these days, but still.

Evil? Autocratic powers who care most for selfish power for the elite. Corporations who care more for immediate profit than sustainability. Criminals who seek their own benefit without regards to the situation of others. Seeking political power for one’s own kind rather than serving the people in need. Caring more for the immediate results in one’s life time and ignoring long term continuity. Caring for one’s own group, for those like you, than others from another culture, religion, race or other.

Today it was conservative Hope Hicks thinking that the great crime of January 6 was in making her unemployable. She thought of herself rather than America. Evil.

Love thy neighbor. We are all your neighbors. You need to really read the Bible, with special emphasis on the New Testament, to figure out what Christianity is all about. You still haven’t figured it out. It’s sad.