Criticism of Generational Dynamics

An alternate home for the community from the legacy Fourth Turning Forum
Bob Butler

Re: Criticism of Generational Dynamics

Post by Bob Butler »

John wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 am
You know, I feel exactly the same -- useless and worthless. I've managed to find my niche of usefulness by providing the Generational Dynamics website and forum. I'm still worthless because this doesn't make any money, and in fact I'm a hated pariah (Cassandra Curse), but even though I'm worthless and hated, I'm at least still useful for a few thousand people.
More a lack of tact in advocating tribal thinking in a WIERD place. Tribal does have it’s worth about many parts of the world, but being forward about your worldview where different ideas are dominant is a good way to get unpopular.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

How is John worthless and hated?

I don't see either of those being the case.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Most people that have been attracted to this site don't see him as worthless and hated. He has gathered a group of posters that think comparably to him. Even I know that nukes, insurgent wars, proxy wars and computers are the major technological changes bringing about the Information Age. Thus, when these things are not dominant, he has much valuable to say and certainly does his homework.

But note John describes himself as worthless and hated. There are many who are into WEIRD rather than tribal, roundhead rather than cavalier, blue rather than red. If he pushes his worldview hard on those who do not share it, he will get a reaction similar to what I have gotten here, as opposed to the reaction I get on blue or neutral sites. He just blames it on different things.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Just think on how we look at each other. I view John as being stubbornly behind and refusing to learn the Ages perspective, WEIRD, and the difference between cavalier and roundhead culture. He is just committed to his own way of looking at things to the total exclusion of others. He views me and any who do not share his point of view as being a troll, idiot and (shudder) blue. In order to maintain his perspective unchanged, he has to. Learn? Grow? Listen? He obviously has no need to. If his reaction to me is similar to how he reacts to others - name calling while not listening - how would you expect most people to react?

The difference is that my perspective includes his as a subset.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:52 am

The correct Venn diagram may actually be several separate sets, one real, the others all false.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:58 pm
Bob Butler wrote:

The correct Venn diagram may actually be several separate sets, one real, the others all false.
Out of curiosity, which do you consider which?

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm
spottybrowncow wrote:
Bob Butler wrote:

I didn't say I considered anything to be anything, actually. I just stated one of many possibilities.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

I fear the sin is one of despair. It's a type of pride, though most people don't realize it as such. That you are so "special" because of how "useless" you are. It is a pathology and it is a sin, just like pride and narcissism are.

Jesus Christ provides hope and healing for all of us, we just have to admit it and change to make things for the glory of God (all goodness), not ourselves.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:08 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm
spottybrowncow wrote:

I didn't say I considered anything to be anything, actually. I just stated one of many possibilities.
It is just hard to respond to vague unspecified possibilities.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:48 pm
I fear the sin is one of despair. It's a type of pride, though most people don't realize it as such. That you are so "special" because of how "useless" you are. It is a pathology and it is a sin, just like pride and narcissism are.
Well, it is John that says he is useless. A reasonable statement otherwise. I'm no more or less useless than most retired guys. I was useful enough in my time.
Cool Breeze wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:48 pm
Jesus Christ provides hope and healing for all of us, we just have to admit it and change to make things for the glory of God (all goodness), not ourselves.
I had an argument with God, who was even less willing to respond and grow than John. Under what conditions is He willing to intervene in the world? Who am I to beg Him to make an exception? I'm afraid it was resolved more through parapsychology and quantum physics than philosophy or religion, but you go with where you are anchored.