Polyticks: Bob Butler's Perspective

An alternate home for the community from the legacy Fourth Turning Forum
Clarkmod

Re: Polyticks: Bob Butler's Perspective

Post by Clarkmod »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:52 am
Totally clueless and without any ability to attribute characteristics and categories to the correct entities.

It's not even worth debating if someone doesn't know the authoritarian censorship regime is the media, the cancel culture, the tech corporations, etc. The same one in league with the current regime. But they love "freedom"? You can't make this kind of delusion up.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

FullMoon wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:02 am
I basically agree with Cool. Good choice not quoting it.
I'm not too worried about Dems as they're falling apart in rapid fashion. But all the hardships they've promoted weren't necessary a part of the political party and will probably still linger. Dems are just bigoted fools who actually thought that they were so universally and absolutely correct on such important issues that it was OK to weaponize the government to force their agenda and worldview. I think they were tricked themselves and used as a tool. They were just much more amenable to disposing of freedom and liberty. Some nefarious actors are behind it and probably communists. The 'woke' ideology seems the likely attack vector. Hopefully it's also their downfall as we can see patience has run thin on their lies and criminality.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:54 pm
FullMoon wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:02 am
I basically agree with Cool. Good choice not quoting it.
I'm not too worried about Dems as they're falling apart in rapid fashion. But all the hardships they've promoted weren't necessary a part of the political party and will probably still linger. Dems are just bigoted fools who actually thought that they were so universally and absolutely correct on such important issues that it was OK to weaponize the government to force their agenda and worldview. I think they were tricked themselves and used as a tool. They were just much more amenable to disposing of freedom and liberty. Some nefarious actors are behind it and probably communists. The 'woke' ideology seems the likely attack vector. Hopefully it's also their downfall as we can see patience has run thin on their lies and criminality.
100% spot on. Great analysis.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Bob Butler wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 pm
John wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm
Elon Musk is the perfect person t to develop a content moderation software system. He and his engineering staff are already experts in developing and deploying practical artificial intelligence systems. If a human being can read and understand a tweet, then an AI system can be implemented to do the same. If a human can follow rules to recognize hate speech, then so can an AI system.
Hmm. There are real problems to be understood and solved. Jews have a different religious definition of what is usury, and many Christians were upset that some Jewish bankers got an unreasonable advantage. Then there is stereotyping, that evolved into all Jews are involved in a plot to control the world. There is hatred against those not involved in the alleged and often imaginary flaw. Aside from what justifies that conclusion, an AI would just have to detect it, not justify it. You are looking for a set of attributes associated with a religion, culture or race that just isn’t there.

Some inner city blacks have seen and believe that you have to be a drug pusher, sports star or mother to get ahead. This can result in a prejudice that all blacks are that way.

Some Latinos have lived in environments where drug lords and autocratic governments have made life unacceptable, and wish to move out of such environments. To others, illegal immigration seems like a character flaw which all Latinos share.

As a first pass, you have to discuss and understand the problem, but you cannot attribute flaws to an entire race. This does sound like a problem someone like Musk might be able to solve without getting too close to the singularity.

I also suspect at first that the AI would just detect a problem tweet and pass it to a human. The human would at least not have to examine every single tweet.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Bob Butler wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:18 pm
Tom Mazanec wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 pm
For example, one rule
might be something like : the N word is
hate speech.
So if an African-American tries to post "That policeman called me a 'nigger'." that would be flagged as hate speech?
That is why some minimal understanding of what is being said is necessary. "That policeman" is not a race, culture or religion. Also, just a list of bad words being detected would hardly be considered an AI.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:27 am
Guest wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:55 am
I just took a 30 hour drive across the whole country, and it is remarkable how different people are from state to state and from region to region within states. Leaving any major city and venturing into the countryside is like entering an entirely different world. The main common denominator is that the people are a lot nicer the further you get from major metro areas, but other than that, each state has unique culture of its own.

The only places that are indistinguishable in a "no real culture" kind of way? The mishmashed cities themselves.

I knew all that already, having lived in several different parts of the country, but a long road trip illustrates it in a whole different way.
I too have travelled the country. The first observation is that it is not that cities lack culture, but they have too many cultures. Fiction illustrates. Take the Jets and the Sharks from West Side Story. Two different subcultures mashed too close together with resulting friction. Poor Officer Krupky tries and fails to mitigate. What is easiest to see is the friction, which does not exist in rural areas dominated by single cultures. And like Officer Krupky, the people trying to ease the friction via rule of law get ostracized much as the FBI and DOJ are being today.

The friction with conservatives is when the rural community invades an urban one. A few bad cops and racist organizations will treat groups unequally under law or instigate violence. These are apt to be very much a minority, but they set the tone. One culture is out to retain their superior place by deliberately going after the other cultures. Minorities want the equal place promised by Jefferson’s version of American ideals. Rural cultures assume America is for white people and that they should impose their culture and sense of white superiority on others. Force a bunch of the rural cultures close together, and see if they don’t create friction too.

Then again, most of my travels were in military and high tech areas. That follows from being a military communications engineer. There was generally a major university in urban areas, dominating the area, such as MIT or Stanford. Even when I was in Montana (Maelstrom AFB), Colorado Springs, Arizona near Tombstone (Fort Huachuca) or Vandenberg, the military subculture was dominant enough to suppress the rural cultures that usually dominate country areas.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

thomasglee wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:27 am
Guest wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:55 am
I just took a 30 hour drive across the whole country, and it is remarkable how different people are from state to state and from region to region within states. Leaving any major city and venturing into the countryside is like entering an entirely different world. The main common denominator is that the people are a lot nicer the further you get from major metro areas, but other than that, each state has unique culture of its own.

The only places that are indistinguishable in a "no real culture" kind of way? The mishmashed cities themselves.

I knew all that already, having lived in several different parts of the country, but a long road trip illustrates it in a whole different way.
I too have travelled the country. The first observation is that it is not that cities lack culture, but they have too many cultures. Fiction illustrates. Take the Jets and the Sharks from West Side Story. Two different subcultures mashed too close together with resulting friction. Poor Officer Krupky tries and fails to mitigate. What is easiest to see is the friction, which does not exist in rural areas dominated by single cultures. And like Officer Krupky, the people trying to ease the friction via rule of law get ostracized much as the FBI and DOJ are being today.

The friction with conservatives is when the rural community invades an urban one. A few bad cops and racist organizations will treat groups unequally under law or instigate violence. These are apt to be very much a minority, but they set the tone. One culture is out to retain their superior place by deliberately going after the other cultures. Minorities want the equal place promised by Jefferson’s version of American ideals. Rural cultures assume America is for white people and that they should impose their culture and sense of white superiority on others. Force a bunch of the rural cultures close together, and see if they don’t create friction too.

Then again, most of my travels were in military and high tech areas. That follows from being a military communications engineer. There was generally a major university in urban areas, dominating the area, such as MIT or Stanford. Even when I was in Montana (Maelstrom AFB), Colorado Springs, Arizona near Tombstone (Fort Huachuca) or Vandenberg, the military subculture was dominant enough to suppress the rural cultures that usually dominate country areas.
You've clearly never been to the rural areas of Texas where we have multiple cultures living peacefully together. The problem with the cities are that they're crowded and nobody appreciates personal space and private property.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm
thomasglee wrote:
You've clearly never been to the rural areas of Texas where we have multiple cultures living peacefully together. The problem with the cities are that they're crowded and nobody appreciates personal space and private property.
I didn’t happen to visit Texas, but there are obviously middle areas. In rural areas with lots of room and fewer cultures, there will be less conflict. In other urban areas of Texas it is not a good thing to be Latino. You will not see in rural areas the pressure you see in urban areas, unless of course you are a minority, disagree with the dominant religion trying to force their values on you, or you bump into a bad cop who will gleefully charge you with (fill in the blank) while black. I agree that personal space and private property are part of it, though I would quibble with the word ‘nobody’. Haters, bad cops and religious trying to impose values are hardly everybody. Around Boston, such are very rare lately, though during the bussing crisis of my youth you could find them easily enough. Even the biggest of cities will often be sanctuary cities, ready to welcome people of different cultures. Only in certain areas do you find a lot of hate.

I would add drugs the crime that come with them are a significant factor too.

But the trend is still that if you force multiple cultures closely together you get bad cops, hate groups and violence. Some consider these as problems to be solved. Others just enjoy hating.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Guest wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:10 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm
thomasglee wrote:
I didn’t happen to visit Texas, but there are obviously middle areas. In rural areas with lots of room and fewer cultures, there will be less conflict. In other urban areas of Texas it is not a good thing to be Latino. You will not see in rural areas the pressure you see in urban areas, unless of course you are a minority, disagree with the dominant religion trying to force their values on you, or you bump into a bad cop who will gleefully charge you with (fill in the blank) while black. I agree that personal space and private property are part of it, though I would quibble with the word ‘nobody’. Haters, bad cops and religious trying to impose values are hardly everybody. Around Boston, such are very rare lately, though during the bussing crisis of my youth you could find them easily enough. Even the biggest of cities will often be sanctuary cities, ready to welcome people of different cultures. Only in certain areas do you find a lot of hate.

I would add drugs the crime that come with them are a significant factor too.

But the trend is still that if you force multiple cultures closely together you get bad cops, hate groups and violence. Some consider these as problems to be solved. Others just enjoy hating.
This is the view of a leftist that has never visited America. I'm starting to think that you are just winding people up with all of this.

Clarkmod

Post by Clarkmod »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:40 am
Guest wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:10 pm
This is the view of a leftist that has never visited America. I'm starting to think that you are just winding people up with all of this.
And I am wondering if a 30 hour trip makes you that much of an expert. Granted, my job took me to areas with military and high tech prevalence, but months in Arizona, Montana, California, Maryland, Georgia, Colorado, and Nebraska would count more than a 30 hour drive? Naturally, we both saw what we were inclined to see. Even then I didn't personally encounter shot up minority bars, girls raped then forced to cross state lines, policemen killing folks, riots and the like. Hatred and oppression are none the less real, but your chance of seeing an example in 30 hours is negligible.