Moderatly Speaking

An alternate home for the community from the legacy Fourth Turning Forum
Bob Butler

Moderatly Speaking

Post by Bob Butler »

I just spent a little time reading the rules of the site. The basically covered only one thing. If someone uses the 7 bad words, starts a flame war, or insults blatantly, the person would be stepped on. No problem with that.

I have come to consider two other policies that are not officially mentioned in the rules, but might be added.

One is if a discussion is started which is well separated from the purpose of the thread. It happens. John acting independently or prompted by the creator of the thread might move the conversation elsewhere. If the Generational Dynamics News thread should be protected in this way, might other threads be protected too?

A similar issue might be listening to a thread creator. Right now, no one but John is posting to my Polyticks thread. That’s nice. If someone comes onto a thread and starts throwing around insults, the moderator might be more inclined to take action to make sure the thread creator’s intent is honored. He might become inclined to honor the request of the creator of a thread.

This would just make what is good for the goose good for the gander. I would just feel better if the censorship of ideas became a respect for the intent and flavor of the initiator of the thread. Going off in a different direction could be done in another thread. Meanwhile, people should feel that if they respond to the words of the author of the thread with ideas rather than insults of flame, the moderator should not act unless the ideas expressed take are really starting a separate conversation. I mean, a post quoting the Bible was recently moved. If the only rule is do not post flame stuff, what is that? Censor the Bible?

Anyway, a thought. Just trying to make the rules match the policy.

Bob Butler

Re: Moderatly Speaking

Post by Bob Butler »

In moving my post suggesting Antartica is not the ideal place to move, John seriously violated the rules of the site and disqualified himself from being moderator. He should be replaced.

As far as I can tell, the closets I came to insulting somebody was in spelling Havahd as it is commonly pronounced around here. Is anyone hear from Havahd and take it amiss?

John

Post by John »

** 17-Jan-2021 World View: Moderatly [sic] Speaking

Your post on Antartica was fine, until the last paragraph:
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:33 pm
> The people down there might be WEIRD. They read a lot. They
> examine things from an abstract scientific mind set. It is like
> John at the corner of MIT and Havahd. If you have a tribal
> mindset, as a lot of folks around here do, your are not apt to
> find as enthusiastic audience as you might. Look for more rural
> environments I think?
This paragraph was extremely offensive to the members of this forum,
most of whom are a lot smarter than you.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

John wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Your post on Antartica was fine, until the last paragraph:
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:33 pm
The people down there might be WEIRD. They read a lot. They examine things from an abstract scientific mind set. It is like John at the corner of MIT and Havahd. If you have a tribal mindset, as a lot of folks around here do, your are not apt to find as enthusiastic audience as you might. Look for more rural environments I think?
This paragraph was extremely offensive to the members of this forum, most of whom are a lot smarter than you.
Intelligence does not effect how tightly you cling to your worldview. Dumb people and smart will cling. The assumption that someone with a similar mindset to your own is more intelligent than you is entirely spurious.

That opinion was in earnest. It is part of WEIRD that more rural areas are apt to be tribal, more urban WEIRD. It is not just in the US. A tribal person might be more comfortable elsewhere.

As is, you violated the rules by taking action baselessly. At minimum, you should block yourself from posting for a time.