Gear Advice

Read Navigator's book, How To Prepare For The Coming Storms,
for valuable detailed information on what what's coming.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/coming-storms-preparation
Tom Mazanec

Re: Gear Advice

Post by Tom Mazanec »

"One Second After" is one of the few books (I have read thousands of Scifi books) that really scared me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Tom Mazanec wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:25 am
"One Second After" is one of the few books (I have read thousands of Scifi books) that really scared me.
I know I should read this book to help at least mentally prepare, but knowing that something like it is being probably going to occur makes living happily now almost too difficult. I know John has said something of the sorts more than once and it didn't register for me on a visceral level. His prognostication was well before most and now it's reality.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

The book really is depressing. The only consolation I draw is that it really does expose you to a worst-case scenario, very arguably worse than simply being killed by a nuclear blast. Lots of people in the book commit suicide because conditions are so bad.

I try to draw some consolation by realizing that the book describes a PERFECT emp attack, and I think there's reason to believe any actual attack might not be so completely successful. I hope.

tim

Post by tim »

I've made a Faraday cage out of PVC pipe for the frame and 100% aluminum attic radiant barrier.

You can tell if the Faraday cage works if no AM radio signals are received inside the cage.

AM radio waves, being from 500 feet long to over 1000 feet long, will easily penetrate any holes in your cage.
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; - Exodus 20:5

tim

Post by tim »

There are some Emergency Deep Well manual water pumps on ebay that use PVC and can reach down 110 feet.

They are pretty much a poor man's bison pump but are an affordable way to draw the clean well water from your deep well when there is no electricity.
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; - Exodus 20:5

tankbuilder

Post by tankbuilder »

Old Microwave ovens make quick and cheap faraday cages. Garage sales are your friend...

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

tankbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:49 pm
Old Microwave ovens make quick and cheap faraday cages. Garage sales are your friend...
Nice, thanks for that.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

The old microwaves don't even need to work. They just need to have a good electromagnetic seal. Test this the same way as a faraday cage. Put a transistor radio tuned to a station in the microwave and close the door. If you hear nothing but static, its good.

You could also test with your cell and trying to call it inside the microwave, but the radio test is better.

tankbuilder

Post by tankbuilder »

Cell phones are very difficult to block but it can be done. There is an app called Faraday Bag Tester that I have that works very well. I have also fabricated cages from 50 cal ammo boxes very easily following this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hbKbw5 ... l=HodgeHub

Post by Guest »

tankbuilder wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:54 am
Cell phones are very difficult to block but it can be done. There is an app called Faraday Bag Tester that I have that works very well. I have also fabricated cages from 50 cal ammo boxes very easily following this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hbKbw5 ... l=HodgeHub
A metal garbage can works well.