Religion / Theology

Topics related to theology.
Navigator

The Results of the Final Judgement

Post by Navigator »

Almost everything in this life is temporary. Some of the things that are not are:
1. Our relationship with God (as in, do we draw near to him and follow his commandments?)
2. Our relationships with our families and fellow mortals (as in, how do we treat them?)
3. Our personal self-development (our educational and spiritual growth)

Note that nowhere on this list is anything about money, possessions, titles, status, popularity and so on. Those things are meaningless in the eternities.

The final judgement is really about the three things listed above.

Our eternal reward is based on how we did in relation to these things.

There is a LOT of information that is available to me through my faith on the afterlife. I have decided, after some internal debate, to lay out the basics here. I don’t want to go too far into the details, as they are not for casual perusal, but are meant for those that are seriously investigating such things.

For, as it states in Matthew 7:14 “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it”. In this verse, Matthew is talking about eternal life (which means eternal existence after mortality in the presence of God the Father).

The implication is that most in mortality will fall short of achieving this goal. Anyone and everyone could achieve it if they want to, but most, unfortunately, are concerned with the temporary (and ultimately meaningless) things of earthly mortality.

To achieve the goal, eternal life with our Heavenly Parents, there are very specific things that we need to do, covenants (sacred agreements) that we need to make with our Heavenly Father, and then we need to keep our part of the agreement.

Failure to make these covenants, or to live up to them, would be to pass up eternal opportunities, and have eternal consequences. This is the most significant part of item 1 above, our relationship with God during our mortal life.

I believe, that ultimately there are three ultimate options for us in eternal life. These are described in 1 Corinthians 15: 40-42
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... =40-42#p40

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

There are three options for each of us after the resurrection of the dead. One is to be raised to a level of celestial glory (the glory of the sun), another is to be raised to a level of terrestrial glory (the glory of the moon), and the last is telestial glory (the glory of a star seen in the night sky).

The allegory of “light” is apt, and the differences between the light provided by each of these sources is distinctly different.

The sun illuminates that day and provides bright light. Moonlight is barely adequate. You can use it to avoid trees and other large obstacles, but it is certainly not enough to read or be very productive. A single star, on its own, provides almost no light at all, yet is better than absolute darkness.

In this post, I will start at the bottom of the ladder, and discuss those that are resurrected to telestial glory.

These are those that were wicked in this life. This is where murderers, thieves, cheats, and other reprehensible people end up for eternity. It is also where those who make sacred covenants with God, and then break those covenants, end up.

All of these people failed to repent of their evil deeds. Thus, they have no part in the mercy provided by Christ’s atonement. They will have to personally suffer all of the pain and anguish they have inflicted on others, and probably then some more as punishment. Some of these individuals will have to suffer for quite some time, but it will ultimately end.

They will exist for eternity as resurrected beings, as they did not rebel against God prior to mortality (as Lucifer and his followers did). Their reward is thus to have their bodies restored. Their eternal existence, after their suffering for their sins, will not be one of pain and torment, yet their ability to grow and progress is halted. Halted for eternity. Personally, I believe that the anguish over knowing what they could have had, for Eternity, versus where they end up and what they get, will be worse than the suffering they go through for their sins. There will be no way for them to fix what they have done (or didn’t do) after the final judgement.

They will be engaged in activities for the rest of eternity. They won’t just lie around. They will most likely be assigned as helpers and assistants to those who have been resurrected to higher rewards. Yet they will never again be allowed in the presence of our Heavenly Father or even Christ. Their own shame at what they have done with their mortal lives prevents it. They suffer the “second death”, which means eternal separation from God. While they exist eternally, they do not have “eternal life”, which means life with God, and having the opportunity to become more like him.

This is NOT where you want to end up.

I will post more in the next couple of days on the other two states of Glory.

Tom Mazanec

Re: Religion / Theology

Post by Tom Mazanec »

If God was once a human being, where did God come from? Who created Him? And if that 'whom' was once human, who created HIM? Where does it end?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Where does eternity begin and end? Maybe at some point we will have answers to this.

But right now it is important to focus on what we need to do in this life, and what the end results can and will be (and why). That we do have revealed knowledge of.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

I meant to write most this when I posted last time. I apologize for my delay. I had an opportunity to go to Hawaii with my family, and I focused on that, but I am now back home. Hopefully I can get this done soon.

Again, from last time:
Almost everything in this life is temporary. Some of the things that are not are:
1. Our relationship with God (as in, do we draw near to him and follow his commandments?)
2. Our relationships with our families and fellow mortals (as in, how do we treat them?)

Note that nowhere on this list is anything about money, possessions, titles, status, popularity and so on. Those things are meaningless in the eternities.

There is a LOT of information that is available to me through my faith on the afterlife. I have decided, after some internal debate, to lay out the basics here. I don’t want to go too far into the details, as they are not for casual perusal, but are meant for those that are seriously investigating such things.

For, as it states in Matthew 7:14 “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it”. In this verse, Matthew is talking about eternal life (which means eternal existence after mortality in the presence of God the Father).

The implication is that most in mortality will fall short of achieving this goal. Anyone and everyone could achieve it if they want to, but most, unfortunately, are concerned with the temporary (and ultimately meaningless) things of earthly mortality.

To achieve the goal, eternal life with our Heavenly Parents, there are very specific things that we need to do, covenants (sacred agreements) that we need to make with our Heavenly Father, and then we need to keep our part of the agreement.

Failure to make these covenants, or to live up to them, would be to pass up eternal opportunities, and have eternal consequences. This is the most significant part of item 1 above, our relationship with God during our mortal life.

I believe, that ultimately there are three ultimate options for us in eternal life. These are described in 1 Corinthians 15: 40-42
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

There are three options for each of us after the resurrection of the dead. One is to be raised to a level of celestial glory (the glory of the sun), another is to be raised to a level of terrestrial glory (the glory of the moon), and the last is telestial glory (the glory of a star seen in the night sky).
The allegory of “light” is apt, and the differences between the light provided by each of these sources is distinctly different.

The sun illuminates that day and provides bright light. Moonlight is barely adequate. You can use it to avoid trees and other large obstacles, but it is certainly not enough to read or be very productive. A single star, on its own, provides almost no light at all, yet is better than absolute darkness.
In this post, I will discuss the next rung up in the ladder, having previously described the Telestial kingdom. So this is about those that are resurrected to a higher glory, that compared to the light of the moon, the Terrestrial kingdom.

These are those the good people in this life, who, while they did good things and helped others, decided that religion and Christ were not for them. They were presented with the opportunity during mortality to accept Christ and his gospel, but they rejected it. However, after mortality, while in the spirit world (see my earlier post on what happens after death), they again were given the chance to accept the gospel, and at that point, they did. So, these are the good people who rejected the gospel on earth but afterward received it in the spirit world. They are the honorable people on the earth who were blinded to the gospel of Jesus Christ by the craftiness of men. These are also they who received the gospel and a testimony of Jesus but then kind of didn’t do much about it (they are like the “inactive” players on a team, they are on the roster, but they aren’t really contributing on the field). Those in this kingdom will be visited regularly by Jesus Christ but they will never again enter the presence of their Heavenly Parents.

As a result of being unable to endure the presence of Heavenly Father, they too suffer the “second death”, which means eternal separation from God. While they exist eternally, they do not have “eternal life”, which means life with God, and having the opportunity to become more like him.
However, this degree of Glory is far better than the lower Telestial Glory. These people will be rewarded for their good deeds but their failure to make covenants with God when they had the opportunity to, or their failure to actively participate in assisting Christ in this life has limited them.
Again, this is not really where you want to end up, as those in this kingdom also have their potential eternally limited by their choices and actions.

It is not enough to just be a “good person” in this life. God offers us everything if we will follow Christ’s example, and make covenants with him, beginning with Baptism by someone with the proper authority (Christ sought out John the Baptist for this exact purpose).

Navigator

The Ultimate Goal

Post by Navigator »

In writing these posts, it is my hope and prayer that each of you will prayerfully consider what I put down. Anyone is able to discern the truth or error of what I am writing by praying about it, and asking God if it is true, while being willing to take action if you are given a witness of the truth (or else why should God give you a witness, if you have no intention of doing anything about it).

To me what I am writing here is about the ultimate goal of mortality. It explains many of the mysteries of the universe. For example, why are there billions of Galaxies? What is the ultimate destiny of man? What could someone do for eternity that wouldn’t ultimate get very boring?

Not all questions are answered, as not all answers are necessary for us to understand what our personal and family destiny can be, and what it is we need to accomplish in this life. But it does answer most questions, and, most importantly, lets us know what is at stake due to the decisions and actions that we take in this life.

Again, from before:

In this post, I will discuss the top rung up of the “ladder”, having previously described the Terrestrial and Telestial kingdoms. So, this is about those that are resurrected to the highest degree of eternal glory, that compared to the light of the Sun, the Celestial kingdom.

Those in the Celestial kingdom are “They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized, … that by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit.” These are they who overcome the world by their faith. They are just and true so that the Holy Ghost can seal their blessings upon them.
(See D&C 76:51–53.) All who inherit the celestial kingdom will live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ forever (see D&C 76:62).

Through the work done in temples, all people who have lived on the earth can have an equal opportunity to receive the fulness of the gospel and the ordinances of salvation so they can inherit a place in the highest degree of celestial glory. None are banished from God’s eternal presence only because they did not have a chance in mortality to accept his gospel and to make covenants with him.

The Celestial kingdom itself is divided into three levels. The levels are based on the highest level of covenant made and kept by an individual. The levels are based on:
1. Making and keeping Baptismal Covenants.
2. Making and keeping basic Temple Covenants.
3. Entering into a Temple Marriage and keeping that covenant. The promise of which, in combination with the other two covenants, is the attainment of Exaltation, the highest level of the Celestial kingdom.

Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life God lives. He lives in great glory. He is perfect. He possesses all knowledge and all wisdom. He is the Father of spirit children. He is a creator. We can become like our Heavenly Parents. This is exaltation.

If we prove faithful to the Lord, we will live in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom of heaven. We will become exalted, to live with our Heavenly Father in eternal families. Exaltation is the greatest gift that Heavenly Father can give His children.

Our Heavenly Father is perfect, and He glories in the fact that it is possible for His children to become like Him. His work and glory is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39).

Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, “All things are theirs” (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people:
1. They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).
2. They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.
3. They will receive a fulness of joy.
4. They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19–20).

Requirements for Exaltation

The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’”.

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:
1. We must be baptized.
2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
4. We must receive the temple endowment (the basic temple covenant).
5. We must be married for eternity, (either in this life or in the next. If post mortality, by proxy temple work).

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
1. Love God and our neighbors.
2. Keep the commandments.
3. Repent of our wrongdoings.
4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
6. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.
7. Have family and individual prayers every day.
8. Teach the gospel to others by word and example.
9. Study the scriptures.
10. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

After We Have Been Faithful and Endured to the End

The Lord has said, “If you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God” (D&C 14:7). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, “If we will continue in God; that is, keep his commandments, worship him and live his truth; then the time will come when we shall be bathed in the fulness of truth, which shall grow brighter and brighter until the perfect day” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:36).

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave”

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did”

Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.

Imagine what joy each of us will have when we return to our Heavenly Father if we can say: “Father, I lived according to Thy will. I have been faithful and have kept Thy commandments. I am happy to be home again.” Then we will hear Him say, “Well done … ; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord” (Matthew 25:23).

Navigator

Personal Responsibility for Action on Gained Knowledge / Witness

Post by Navigator »

I have covered the basic points of my beliefs. There is a LOT more to it.

Understanding it and taking personal actions to accomplish the Ultimate Goal require that you do something.

The starting point is to discuss what I have written, and your questions with those that can answer your questions and provide you with additional information and insight applicable to your own personal situation.

Here is a way to learn more:
Use this tool to find a congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ near you. You can visit it, or you can use this page to help you communicate with others in a way you are comfortable with -
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/com ... g?lang=eng

If English is not your native language, click on the globe icon to the top right, and pick your language. The vast majority of languages are available.

Navigator

Book of Mormon - Lehi's Vision

Post by Navigator »

Earlier in my explanation of my personal religious beliefs, I pointed to the Book of Mormon as a source of my testimony in the truthfulness of the things I have been writing about.

This Book is the keystone of my religion/faith, as it either is a true record of God’s dealing with a specific people, and it came forth as Joseph Smith said it did, or it is a complete fabrication and lie. There are no other options.

To find out if the Book of Mormon is what it purports to be, you actually have to read at least some of it. So, as I have prayed about what to post here next, it came to me that I should put in excerpts from the Book of Mormon that are meaningful to me.

This is the first of two parts about a vision that a prophet in the Book of Mormon has about the purpose of this life, and what is going on around us in this world. The prophet’s name is Lehi, and he lived about 600BC. He was instructed by the Lord to leave Jerusalem prior to its imminent destruction. He has done so, and is in the wilderness along the Red Sea with his family at this time.

Lehi’s family consists of himself and his wife Sariah, along with their four sons; Laman, Lemuel, Sam, and Nephi. This is Nephi’s account of what his father tells them about his vision. In my next post I will describe Nephi’s own account of his similar vision, and its interpretation.

I would encourage any and all to read this, to ponder it, and to ask God if this is part of his gospel or not.

Book of 1 Nephi, Chapter 8

1 And it came to pass that we had gathered together all manner of seeds of every kind, both of grain of every kind, and also of the seeds of fruit of every kind.
2 And it came to pass that while my father tarried in the wilderness he spake unto us, saying: Behold, I have dreamed a dream; or, in other words, I have seen a vision.
3 And behold, because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam; for I have reason to suppose that they, and also many of their seed, will be saved.
4 But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
5 And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.
6 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.
7 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
9 And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spaciousafield.
10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.
13 And as I cast my eyes round about, that perhaps I might discover my family also, I beheld a river of water; and it ran along, and it was near the tree of which I was partaking the fruit.
14 And I looked to behold from whence it came; and I saw the head thereof a little way off; and at the head thereof I beheld your mother Sariah, and Sam, and Nephi; and they stood as if they knew not whither they should go.
15 And it came to pass that I beckoned unto them; and I also did say unto them with a loud voice that they should come unto me, and partake of the fruit, which was desirable above all other fruit.
16 And it came to pass that they did come unto me and partake of the fruit also.
17 And it came to pass that I was desirous that Laman and Lemuel should come and partake of the fruit also; wherefore, I cast mine eyes towards the head of the river, that perhaps I might see them.
18 And it came to pass that I saw them, but they would not come unto me and partake of the fruit.
19 And I beheld a rod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood.
20 And I also beheld a strait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head of the fountain, unto a large and spacious field, as if it had been a world.
21 And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.
22 And it came to pass that they did come forth, and commence in the path which led to the tree.
23 And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost.
24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.
26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.
27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.
29 And now I, Nephi, do not speak all the words of my father.
30 But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.
31 And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.
32 And it came to pass that many were drowned in the depths of the fountain; and many were lost from his view, wandering in strange roads.
33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.
34 These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away.
35 And Laman and Lemuel partook not of the fruit, said my father.
36 And it came to pass after my father had spoken all the words of his dream or vision, which were many, he said unto us, because of these things which he saw in a vision, he exceedingly feared for Laman and Lemuel; yea, he feared lest they should be cast off from the presence of the Lord.
37 And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them, and not cast them off; yea, my father did preach unto them.
38 And after he had preached unto them, and also prophesied unto them of many things, he bade them to keep the commandments of the Lord; and he did cease speaking unto them.

Navigator

Explanation - Part 1

Post by Navigator »

This is Nephi, Lehi’s son, writing about his experience after he asked the Lord to explain his father’s vision to him. This is the first part of what is revealed to him as a result.

Book of 1 Nephi, Chapter 11
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1?lang=eng

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
2 And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what desirest thou?
3 And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father saw.
4 And the Spirit said unto me: Believest thou that thy father saw the tree of which he hath spoken?
5 And I said: Yea, thou knowest that I believe all the words of my father.
6 And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying: Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the earth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired.
7 And behold this thing shall be given unto thee for a sign, that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God.
8 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me: Look! And I looked and beheld a tree; and it was like unto the tree which my father had seen; and the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow.
9 And it came to pass after I had seen the tree, I said unto the Spirit: I behold thou hast shown unto me the tree which is precious above all.
10 And he said unto me: What desirest thou?
11 And I said unto him: To know the interpretation thereof—for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.
12 And it came to pass that he said unto me: Look! And I looked as if to look upon him, and I saw him not; for he had gone from before my presence.
13 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.
14 And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?
15 And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.
16 And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God?
17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.
18 And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.
19 And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!
20 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms.
21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw?
22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.
23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.
24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.
25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.
26 And the angel said unto me again: Look and behold the condescension of God!
27 And I looked and beheld the Redeemer of the world, of whom my father had spoken; and I also beheld the prophet who should prepare the way before him. And the Lamb of God went forth and was baptized of him; and after he was baptized, I beheld the heavens open, and the Holy Ghost come down out of heaven and abide upon him in the form of a dove.
28 And I beheld that he went forth ministering unto the people, in power and great glory; and the multitudes were gathered together to hear him; and I beheld that they cast him out from among them.
29 And I also beheld twelve others following him. And it came to pass that they were carried away in the Spirit from before my face, and I saw them not.
30 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the heavens open again, and I saw angels descending upon the children of men; and they did minister unto them.
31 And he spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Lamb of God going forth among the children of men. And I beheld multitudes of people who were sick, and who were afflicted with all manner of diseases, and with devils and unclean spirits; and the angel spake and showed all these things unto me. And they were healed by the power of the Lamb of God; and the devils and the unclean spirits were cast out.
32 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world; and I saw and bear record.
33 And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world.
34 And after he was slain I saw the multitudes of the earth, that they were gathered together to fight against the apostles of the Lamb; for thus were the twelve called by the angel of the Lord.
35 And the multitude of the earth was gathered together; and I beheld that they were in a large and spacious building, like unto the building which my father saw. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Behold the world and the wisdom thereof; yea, behold the house of Israel hath gathered together to fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
36 And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Thus shall be the destruction of all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, that shall fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Navigator

Explanation Part 2(a)

Post by Navigator »

These next two posts are the continuation of the explanation of Lehi's vision by Nephi.

Book of 1 Nephi, Chapter 12

1 And it came to pass that the angel said unto me: Look, and behold thy seed, and also the seed of thy brethren. And I looked and beheld the land of promise; and I beheld multitudes of people, yea, even as it were in number as many as the sand of the sea.
2 And it came to pass that I beheld multitudes gathered together to battle, one against the other; and I beheld wars, and rumors of wars, and great slaughters with the sword among my people.
3 And it came to pass that I beheld many generations pass away, after the manner of wars and contentions in the land; and I beheld many cities, yea, even that I did not number them.
4 And it came to pass that I saw a mist of darkness on the face of the land of promise; and I saw lightnings, and I heard thunderings, and earthquakes, and all manner of tumultuous noises; and I saw the earth and the rocks, that they rent; and I saw mountains tumbling into pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth, that they were broken up; and I saw many cities that they were sunk; and I saw many that they were burned with fire; and I saw many that did tumble to the earth, because of the quaking thereof.
5 And it came to pass after I saw these things, I saw the vapor of darkness, that it passed from off the face of the earth; and behold, I saw multitudes who had not fallen because of the great and terrible judgments of the Lord.
6 And I saw the heavens open, and the Lamb of God descending out of heaven; and he came down and showed himself unto them.
7 And I also saw and bear record that the Holy Ghost fell upon twelve others; and they were ordained of God, and chosen.
8 And the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold the twelve disciples of the Lamb, who are chosen to minister unto thy seed.
9 And he said unto me: Thou rememberest the twelve apostles of the Lamb? Behold they are they who shall judge the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, the twelve ministers of thy seed shall be judged of them; for ye are of the house of Israel.
10 And these twelve ministers whom thou beholdest shall judge thy seed. And, behold, they are righteous forever; for because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood.
11 And the angel said unto me: Look! And I looked, and beheld three generations pass away in righteousness; and their garments were white even like unto the Lamb of God. And the angel said unto me: These are made white in the blood of the Lamb, because of their faith in him.
12 And I, Nephi, also saw many of the fourth generation who passed away in righteousness.
13 And it came to pass that I saw the multitudes of the earth gathered together.
14 And the angel said unto me: Behold thy seed, and also the seed of thy brethren.
15 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the people of my seed gathered together in multitudes against the seed of my brethren; and they were gathered together to battle.
16 And the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold the fountain of filthy water which thy father saw; yea, even the river of which he spake; and the depths thereof are the depths of hell.
17 And the mists of darkness are the temptations of the devil, which blindeth the eyes, and hardeneth the hearts of the children of men, and leadeth them away into broad roads, that they perish and are lost.
18 And the large and spacious building, which thy father saw, is vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible gulf divideth them; yea, even the word of the justice of the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God, of whom the Holy Ghost beareth record, from the beginning of the world until this time, and from this time henceforth and forever.
19 And while the angel spake these words, I beheld and saw that the seed of my brethren did contend against my seed, according to the word of the angel; and because of the pride of my seed, and the temptations of the devil, I beheld that the seed of my brethren did overpower the people of my seed.
20 And it came to pass that I beheld, and saw the people of the seed of my brethren that they had overcome my seed; and they went forth in multitudes upon the face of the land.
21 And I saw them gathered together in multitudes; and I saw wars and rumors of wars among them; and in wars and rumors of wars I saw many generations pass away.
22 And the angel said unto me: Behold these shall dwindle in unbelief.
23 And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.
Last edited by Navigator on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Navigator

Explanation Part 2(b)

Post by Navigator »

This part speaks about the formation of nations in the Americas from those that emigrated here.

Book of 1 Nephi, Chapter 13

1 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld many nations and kingdoms.
2 And the angel said unto me: What beholdest thou? And I said: I behold many nations and kingdoms.
3 And he said unto me: These are the nations and kingdoms of the Gentiles.
4 And it came to pass that I saw among the nations of the Gentiles the formation of a great church.
5 And the angel said unto me: Behold the formation of a church which is most abominable above all other churches, which slayeth the saints of God, yea, and tortureth them and bindeth them down, and yoketh them with a yoke of iron, and bringeth them down into captivity.
6 And it came to pass that I beheld this great and abominable church; and I saw the devil that he was the founder of it.
7 And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined linen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots.
8 And the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold the gold, and the silver, and the silks, and the scarlets, and the fine-twined linen, and the precious clothing, and the harlots, are the desires of this great and abominable church.
9 And also for the praise of the world do they destroy the saints of God, and bring them down into captivity.
10 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld many waters; and they divided the Gentiles from the seed of my brethren.
11 And it came to pass that the angel said unto me: Behold the wrath of God is upon the seed of thy brethren.
12 And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land.
13 And it came to pass that I beheld the Spirit of God, that it wrought upon other Gentiles; and they went forth out of captivity, upon the many waters.
14 And it came to pass that I beheld many multitudes of the Gentiles upon the land of promise; and I beheld the wrath of God, that it was upon the seed of my brethren; and they were scattered before the Gentiles and were smitten.
15 And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.
16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that the Gentiles who had gone forth out of captivity did humble themselves before the Lord; and the power of the Lord was with them.
17 And I beheld that their mother Gentiles were gathered together upon the waters, and upon the land also, to battle against them.
18 And I beheld that the power of God was with them, and also that the wrath of God was upon all those that were gathered together against them to battle.
19 And I, Nephi, beheld that the Gentiles that had gone out of captivity were delivered by the power of God out of the hands of all other nations.
20 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that they did prosper in the land; and I beheld a book, and it was carried forth among them.
21 And the angel said unto me: Knowest thou the meaning of the book?
22 And I said unto him: I know not.
23 And he said: Behold it proceedeth out of the mouth of a Jew. And I, Nephi, beheld it; and he said unto me: The book that thou beholdest is a record of the Jews, which contains the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; and it also containeth many of the prophecies of the holy prophets; and it is a record like unto the engravings which are upon the plates of brass, save there are not so many; nevertheless, they contain the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; wherefore, they are of great worth unto the Gentiles.
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.
25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.
26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.
27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.
29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
30 Nevertheless, thou beholdest that the Gentiles who have gone forth out of captivity, and have been lifted up by the power of God above all other nations, upon the face of the land which is choice above all other lands, which is the land that the Lord God hath covenanted with thy father that his seed should have for the land of their inheritance; wherefore, thou seest that the Lord God will not suffer that the Gentiles will utterly destroy the mixture of thy seed, which are among thy brethren.
31 Neither will he suffer that the Gentiles shall destroy the seed of thy brethren.
32 Neither will the Lord God suffer that the Gentiles shall forever remain in that awful state of blindness, which thou beholdest they are in, because of the plain and most precious parts of the gospel of the Lamb which have been kept back by that abominable church, whose formation thou hast seen.
33 Wherefore saith the Lamb of God: I will be merciful unto the Gentiles, unto the visiting of the remnant of the house of Israel in great judgment.
34 And it came to pass that the angel of the Lord spake unto me, saying: Behold, saith the Lamb of God, after I have visited the remnant of the house of Israel—and this remnant of whom I speak is the seed of thy father—wherefore, after I have visited them in judgment, and smitten them by the hand of the Gentiles, and after the Gentiles do stumble exceedingly, because of the most plain and precious parts of the gospel of the Lamb which have been kept back by that abominable church, which is the mother of harlots, saith the Lamb—I will be merciful unto the Gentiles in that day, insomuch that I will bring forth unto them, in mine own power, much of my gospel, which shall be plain and precious, saith the Lamb.
35 For, behold, saith the Lamb: I will manifest myself unto thy seed, that they shall write many things which I shall minister unto them, which shall be plain and precious; and after thy seed shall be destroyed, and dwindle in unbelief, and also the seed of thy brethren, behold, these things shall be hid up, to come forth unto the Gentiles, by the gift and power of the Lamb.
36 And in them shall be written my gospel, saith the Lamb, and my rock and my salvation.
37 And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day, for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost; and if they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb; and whoso shall publish peace, yea, tidings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be.
38 And it came to pass that I beheld the remnant of the seed of my brethren, and also the book of the Lamb of God, which had proceeded forth from the mouth of the Jew, that it came forth from the Gentiles unto the remnant of the seed of my brethren.
39 And after it had come forth unto them I beheld other books, which came forth by the power of the Lamb, from the Gentiles unto them, unto the convincing of the Gentiles and the remnant of the seed of my brethren, and also the Jews who were scattered upon all the face of the earth, that the records of the prophets and of the twelve apostles of the Lamb are true.
40 And the angel spake unto me, saying: These last records, which thou hast seen among the Gentiles, shall establish the truth of the first, which are of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, and shall make known the plain and precious things which have been taken away from them; and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto him, or they cannot be saved.
41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.
42 And the time cometh that he shall manifest himself unto all nations, both unto the Jews and also unto the Gentiles; and after he has manifested himself unto the Jews and also unto the Gentiles, then he shall manifest himself unto the Gentiles and also unto the Jews, and the last shall be first, and the first shall be last.