Abortion

Topics related to theology.
Bob Butler

Wasting Time

Post by Bob Butler »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:24 pm
Do you really think I'm going to waste my time going to Langan's theory to find out if he really said that?

No, I am not.

The first reason, as you know, is because I don't have any interest in what he said.
Are we allowed to agree on something?
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:24 pm
After that, you told me, "Read Strauss and Howe," as if I haven't.
You then should act as if you did. Folks here tend to ignore the conservative collapse which came with prior crises. I view crises as a mechanism to advance the culture, to change our values, usually for the better. For example, reject nobility, being the target of colonial imperialism, end slavery, contain autocratic expansion. A lot of conservatives seem to resist such advance, at least during the change itself.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:24 pm
I've found that those who more and more shrilly insist as time goes on that God doesn't exist are sexual deviants, and perhaps more.
Now that's what I have more come to expect of posters around here, personal attacks on those you disagree with.

Re: Wasting Time

Post by Guest »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:33 am
You then should act as if you did. Folks here tend to ignore the conservative collapse which came with prior crises. I view crises as a mechanism to advance the culture, to change our values, usually for the better. For example, reject nobility, being the target of colonial imperialism, end slavery, contain autocratic expansion. A lot of conservatives seem to resist such advance, at least during the change itself.
Pol Pot could not have said it better :!:

P.S. Europe is heading for a massive social explosion. Mass immigration is about to bare its bitterest fruit. Europe is weeks, perhaps even days away, from civil war. I'm sure America will follow.

Something will emerge from the ruins. A piece of the Westerners that survive, and bits and pieces for the third world migrants to starve in.

Higgenbotham

Re: Wasting Time

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:33 am
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:24 pm
I've found that those who more and more shrilly insist as time goes on that God doesn't exist are sexual deviants, and perhaps more.
Now that's what I have more come to expect of posters around here, personal attacks on those you disagree with.
I know it's hard for you to imagine, but not everything is about you. Or the books that you never quote from.

This is a forum, so nobody is concerned about anybody here in the physical sense.

But it reminded me of something I wrote about several years ago and expanded on several months ago in the Dark Age Hovel. Which, to be clear, was not about you.

In real life, if one happens upon an older man who has the following characteristics:

1. More and more shrilly insists God does not exist;
2. Is single or has been divorced for a long time; and
3. Has done a lot of travel.

Be on the lookout. And keep him away from your kids, even if you are homeless. That's all.

I would add that the guy had a work van with no windows in the sides or back, except for the driver's and passenger's windows.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Re: Abortion

Post by Higgenbotham »

In the early 1990s, one of my tenants who had 3 kids moved and I started a 2 or 3 month project on the outside of the house. During the first few days, several kids came up on the porch to look for the kids who had lived there and I firmly chased them off.

But there were two 5 year old girls who lived down the block who kept coming back. They were good kids and wanted to learn about what I was doing, so I let them hang around at the house as long as they stayed where they could be seen. I was aware that it was a risk. I was 30 at the time and in that town most 30 year olds had kids. Anybody else could be suspect. Had I been one of the parents down the block, I would not have let my 5 year old daughter hang around with a 30 year old single male who I didn't know. I told one of the fathers that I had told his daughter to be in the front of the house where she could be seen. He wasn't concerned.

There was a woman next door who was a liberal fanatic and always in everyone's business. She had a 17 year old son and a 12 year old daughter, as well as a henpecked husband. Partially to appease her, I hired her 17 year old son very briefly and paid him well. He was a good kid. Years later, when he was 37, he committed suicide. Anyway, one day I came around the corner and one of the 5 year old girls was loudly and adamantly insisting to the 12 year old daughter that I had never touched her. It was in such a way that I knew the 12 year old had been very persistent in her questioning. I immediately knew the source of the questioning was gossip from her fanatical mother.

I didn't say anything. If I'd been able to even have a conversation with this fanatic here's approximately what I would have said: "You can be on the lookout. That's a good thing. Feel free to come onto the property. Put surveillance cameras anywhere you want. Put listening devices anywhere you want. If in your fanatical state, you think any kids are inside the house, look through the windows, pound on the door, and call out a search party if you so desire. But don't spread gossip in such a way as to suggest to anyone that I'm harming these kids." But I knew it would be impossible to have a conversation with this fanatic so I didn't even try.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

I must admit I have a certain affection for Bob Butler. No, that doesn't mean I'm gay.

I've wondered - why is that? Why is that the case when it is so clearly evident that most here do not?

Most here can see the world collapsing around them and can point to fanatical liberals as one reason for that. The consequences are clearly coming home to roost.

Yet, Bob remains blissfully unaware.

So, I've wondered, does this affection stem from the fact that I've been surrounded by fanatical liberals all my life? My mother was a Kennedy fanatic. I like Kennedy. But when Clinton got elected, she gleefully proclaimed, "This is the most exciting thing since John and Jackie celebrated their election!" Then she looked at my sister and me and said, "I know you don't feel that way." The list of fanatical liberals may start there, but it doesn't end there and is very long indeed.

But I don't think that's the reason.

My conclusion is that it's nostaglia. For most liberals, as for the rest of us, the chickens have come home to roost or are well on their way. For the fanatical liberal described in the post above, in the early 1990s, the chickens had not yet come home to roost for her. Everything was still normal on the surface. Her son hadn't committed suicide yet, her henpecked husband hadn't divorced her, and her daughter wasn't yet a 40 year old single, fat blob covered with tattoos who works in a nursing home. Now all she's got to hang onto is her new age amulet that she proudly wears around her neck.

Bob Butler, in the way that he present himself, is sort of the last vestige of liberalism not yet personally gone awry. He remains blissfully unaware. The chickens have not yet come home to roost for him. When I read Bob, I can still get that last little drop of what's left of that delusional early 1990s feeling.

Another guest

Post by Another guest »

I miss the 90s. They were my glittering zenith.

Bob Butler

Collapse

Post by Bob Butler »

Guest wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:17 am
P.S. Europe is heading for a massive social explosion. Mass immigration is about to bare its bitterest fruit. Europe is weeks, perhaps even days away, from civil war. I'm sure America will follow.

Something will emerge from the ruins. A piece of the Westerners that survive, and bits and pieces for the third world migrants to starve in.
It seems a lot of people here are predicting collapse, including me. Different collapses. Putin has military problems. Xi has economic problems. Trump has legal problems. You can see that all three are heading in the wrong direction. Autocratic leaders tend toward strange decisions, corruption, surrounding themselves with yes men and believing themselves above everything. Sorry, no.

Gaza is the new one. I am looking at recent history and seeing what has happened when various Arab groups have tried to take on Israel. They generally lose land to Israel every time. Why? Their territories of origin are different. In the Middle East deserts dominate and horse archers were the most common military arm. The common wisdom is that if you are getting into trouble, retreat. With speed and range, it is easy and prudent to get in that habit. In Europe you had forests and well armored infantry with melee weapons. You bore down grimly and fought. It isn’t about which group has the superior DNA, but about how their cultures were shaped by history.

I expect these cultural tendencies to repeat. Hamas will try to hide in their tunnels. They will give Israel the initiative and ability to concentrate. Israel will talk about saving hostages, but the priority will be diminishing Hamas. It will still be ugly for a while, but the result will be the usual.

The problem of mass immigration is real. Aside from people wishing to leave the autocratic Middle East, the cause of it is of course global warming. Conservative insistence on staying the same, depending on fossil fuels, has been too dominant. Sure, ignore the science if convenient. Recently we have had an abundance of fires, hurricanes, droughts, mudslides, etc…. Still, it did not become a crisis issue. It will therefore get worse. Not addressed firmly this crisis, lurking for the next one, the question is whether we will have an awakening as active as the 1960s. Is an active awakening part of the Information Age pattern? Will the various problems be severe enough that we will do something about it immediately, not just propose new values to be implemented later? Will the S&H pattern of turnings be accelerated?

I’m not saying the various problems aren’t pretty serious. Things are heading for collapse all around. However it is the conservative stay the same factions that are heading that way. Beyond that, you can see the traditional new birth of freedom.

Beyond that, though, is the next problem.

John

Post by John »

Of course global warming. Hilarious!

Bob Butler

Insults?

Post by Bob Butler »

I may have an unusual attitude towards personal attacks. If someone switches from issues, facts and logic to personal attacks, he has lost the argument. God forbid one acknowledge the loss. Instead of caring about the insults, I generally feel a touch of glee. One carves a figurative notch in of one’s keyboard.

Some posters who switch to personal attacks at the drop of the hat I consider worthy of contempt.

I do note, however, that Higgenbotham has proclaimed himself an expert in the practice of deviant homosexuality and perversion. How did he acquire that expertise?

Higgenbotham

Re: Insults?

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:56 pm
I may have an unusual attitude towards personal attacks. If someone switches from issues, facts and logic to personal attacks, he has lost the argument. God forbid one acknowledge the loss. Instead of caring about the insults, I generally feel a touch of glee. One carves a figurative notch in of one’s keyboard.

Some posters who switch to personal attacks at the drop of the hat I consider worthy of contempt.

I do note, however, that Higgenbotham has proclaimed himself an expert in the practice of deviant homosexuality and perversion. How did he acquire that expertise?
Bob, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad to the point that you start making wild accusations.

My comments were based on long association with liberals such as yourself. Rather than speak in generalities, we need you here as a poster child to demonstrate first hand how how stupid "know it all" liberals are, you know, demonstrations of things like "of course global warming". Yes, of course!

"Of course abortion" fill in the blank straight from the gods of materialism to your empty skull. Yes, of course! Of course, these are "medieval superstitions". Yes, of course!