9-Oct-18 World View -- UN: We have just 12 years to prevent global warming catastrophe

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
FishbellykanakaDude

Re: 9-Oct-18 World View -- UN: We have just 12 years to prevent global warming catastrophe

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

shoshin wrote:John confuses horse shit (local catastrophe) with ecosystem collapse (systemic catastrophe). But that's ok, our lord and savior technology will redeem us....or something....
Ecosystems donʻt collapse.

They re-equilibri-ize, or somesuch makeshift term that means "finds a new equilibrium".

Thatʻs the way the world works, and if you believe that the present system is "perfection" then you fight against letting it do what itʻs going to do,.. and if you think that it doing what itʻs going to do is "perfection" then you let it do what itʻs going to do.

But it still boils down to "try to minimize your messes", assuming you don't like a messy ecosystem.

Trying to "engineer" the worlds overall ecosystem is simply the height of hubris.

I understand the "indoctrination" that young (and/or naive) minds have gone through so as to ease the way for those tyrants that would establish the "Amway Slavemaster Multimarketed Tyranny", but look at the real world, take a few deep breaths, and consider the robustness of the world and what has actually happened in the past that makes the "climate change horror show" rather laughable.

Stuff works out. You'll be fine, or at least fine enough to choose happiness if that's what you want.

..or you'll be dead,.. and then you won't care in the least.

And don't make any more messes than you have to, and encourage others to do the same.

Choose happiness. It's a much more sensible option. Aloha to ya'all. :) <shaka nui!>

Tom Mazanec

Re: 9-Oct-18 World View -- UN: We have just 12 years to prevent global warming catastrophe

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Horse manure was a
huge world problem, and was fixed by technology because it had to be,
not because of some international horse manure treaty.

No, it was solved by technology because it became profitable to do so.
If the corporations could not have made money by selling cars over horses, we would be buried in horse manure in 2018.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Post by Guest »

How long is the owner of this site going to avoid the coming civil war in America? Yes, America will head to war, but we will be engaged in a civil war at that time. So many people have forecast the end of America, yet this site says nothing about the divisions which are tearing America apart. America will no exist in a few years, yet this site is silent on it. The abyss is somewhere in the darkness, but it will come.

John

Post by John »

Tom Mazanec wrote: > Horse manure was a huge world problem, and was fixed by technology
> because it had to be, not because of some international horse
> manure treaty.

> No, it was solved by technology because it became profitable to do
> so. If the corporations could not have made money by selling cars
> over horses, we would be buried in horse manure in 2018.

The reason it made money and was profitable is because it had to
happen.

John

Post by John »

Guest wrote: > How long is the owner of this site going to avoid the coming civil
> war in America? Yes, America will head to war, but we will be
> engaged in a civil war at that time. So many people have forecast
> the end of America, yet this site says nothing about the divisions
> which are tearing America apart. America will no exist in a few
> years, yet this site is silent on it. The abyss is somewhere in
> the darkness, but it will come.
There is no American civil war coming. There is no sign that Nevada
is raising an army to invade California. I used to think that there
might be a regional conflict between Latinos and Yanquis in southern
California, but even those tensions have lessened in recent years.
When China attacks the United States, Democrats, Republicans and
Mexicans will all be on the same side.

FishbellykanakaDude

Guest wrote:How long is the owner of this site going to avoid the coming civil war in America? Yes, America will head to war, but we will be engaged in a civil war at that time. So many people have forecast the end of America, yet this site says nothing about the divisions which are tearing America apart. America will no exist in a few years, yet this site is silent on it. The abyss is somewhere in the darkness, but it will come.
Hey, Guesty,.. give us the lowdown on this (soon?) coming US Civil War 2.0..!

I'm intrigued. :) Looking forward to your elucidation.

..and you can use an identifying name without having to "register", by the way. There are FAR too many "Guest"s around here.

Aloha no! <shaka nui!>

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

John wrote:
Tom Mazanec wrote: > Horse manure was a huge world problem, and was fixed by technology
> manure treaty.

happen.

Just because something is needed and "has to happen" is no guarantee you will get it.
In 1968, when my mother was 40 and I was 10, she needed a cure for her cancer.
She did not get it.
She died on Halloween.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Post by Guest »

Tom Mazanec wrote:
John wrote:
> manure treaty.

happen.

Just because something is needed and "has to happen" is no guarantee you will get it.
She did not get it.
She died on Halloween.
So true. You are right. Sometimes science can't come to the rescue.

Sorry about your loss, Tom.

FishbellykanakaDude

Tom Mazanec wrote:
John wrote:
> manure treaty.

happen.

She did not get it.
She died on Halloween.
The necessity of something happening can't be determined before it happens, though many things are utterly inevitable.

We will all die. That is inevitable. When any one person will die is "a mystery". Being "saved" by a "miracle" is neither inevitable nor a necessity,.. unless the miracle happens, and then it was a necessity.

The tautology that "what is is" is a tautology, but it's also the truth.

If it happened, it had to happen, because it did happen.

The way of "real" alternative history is delusion and madness, that produces much unhappiness. Happiness is a choice, and only granted to those who don't play such perverse games.

To someone at the time who was working on "stored energy to kinetic energy conversion engines for personal transport" the manure problem was laughable, and trivial.

Therefore, the "widely held belief" that manure would encase us all was, in truth, an unfounded "belief".

Just because a belief is widely held doesn't make it true.

Acceptance of reality, by the avoidance of trying to "slip the timeline", is the only healthy attitude while alive.

If you want to NOT be alive, or want to waste your time being alive, living the fantasy of "many worlds" will get you there faster than any other means available.

I personally have a terrible, seemingly inborn, proclivity towards imagining "alternative histories" within which I was "better placed" and "more appreciated and happier". That terrible habit stirred my anxieties, from a very early age, into being "not well suited" for the actual real world.

..so I write about my imaginings of "alternative history", and cast that anxiety off, and have learned to accept that I can choose happiness regardless of my circumstances.

Anxiety is the great enemy, and it will kill you far before your time if you feed it with internalized "what ifs".

John

Post by John »

Tom Mazanec wrote: > Just because something is needed and "has to happen" is no
> guarantee you will get it. In 1968, when my mother was 40 and I
> was 10, she needed a cure for her cancer. She did not get it.
> She died on Halloween.
First, I offer my deep sympathy for your loss.

But ok, you said that the automobile solved the horse manure problem
because the automobile made money.

But a cure for cancer would have made a lot of money, but there's
still no cure for cancer.

I said that the automobile solved the horse manure problem because it
had to happen.

The reason it had to happen is because the streets of the world would
otherwise be buried in horse manure. Civilization could not have
continued without some solution to that huge environmental problem. A
solution was found because a solution had to be found for civilization
to continue.

But unfortunately, a cure for cancer does not have to happen.
Civilization goes on with or without it. My mother died from
Alzheimers. A cure for Alzheimers doesn't have to happen either.