Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by John »

** 02-Feb-2020 World View: Immunity
richard5za wrote: > So even if this becomes the world's worst pandemic I won't catch
> this horrible thing, or it will be very mild, My immunity will
> protect me. I am 73 years old, still working full time and
> planning on 103 or 107
Proverbs 16:18

Post by Guest »

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

I'm enjoying the show.

John

Post by John »

** 02-Feb-2020 World View: China's stock market opens

The Shanghai and Shenzen stock markets just opened a few minutes ago
for the first time since they were closed on January 23 for the Lunar
New Year celebrations, and then for the Wuhan coronavirus crisis.

Chinese stock markets fell 9% at the open, but then rebounded to 8%
down.

richard5za

Post by richard5za »

John wrote:** 02-Feb-2020 World View: Immunity
richard5za wrote: > So even if this becomes the world's worst pandemic I won't catch
> this horrible thing, or it will be very mild, My immunity will
> protect me. I am 73 years old, still working full time and
> planning on 103 or 107
Proverbs 16:18
Encouraging excellent health and substantially increased immunity to achieve less, milder or no viral illness is not (repeat not) a haughty spirit. A healthy spirit? And being positive about not becoming ill through this virus or only a mild dose, is also very healthy. I should have added in the need to sort the emotional side too because stress, anxiety, etc can cause big trouble like heart disease, cancer, autoimmune illness, and so on. I look back 55 years now at my schools friends in my last year of school - all the uptight guys are dead. Its the easy going guys who looked after their health who are still working full time and in great health.
So I wish all readers good health.

richard5za

Post by richard5za »

The other suggestion I have is read up on people in the Blue Zones, people on different parts of this planet who live very long lives in great health (and happiness). Once this Wuhan epidemic is over it will be very interesting to look at the infection and death rates in the Blue Zones compared to other populations.

richard5za

Post by richard5za »

John wrote:** 02-Feb-2020 World View: China's stock market opens

down.
I take your point on the unexpected causing panic which results in a seriously damaging sequences of economic and political events. The Chinese drop was expected and in fact the CCP said they were going to inject massive liquidity in the a reverse repo to cushion a serious drop. The SP 500 is in a bubble and a reversal / correction has been expected for a while, in fact last week the 5 dma fell below the 21 dma which many analysts regard as a trend change. But say China attacks Taiwan without warning that will be unexpected and will cause panic possibly leading to flash crashes

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Is the Coronavirus Outbreak China's Chernobyl?
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... nobyl.html
It was the failure of the Soviet system in dealing with a coordinated response that shook the faith of the people. They began to question whether the Soviet government had abandoned the interests of the people in favor of propaganda. The conclusion was that it certainly was not the health and welfare of the people which was first and foremost in Soviet governmental policy. Gorbachev himself wrote in 2006:

“The nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl… was perhaps the true cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union.”

It is clear that Gorbachev could not bring himself to admit that it was Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy which was the underlying cause. Regardless of the causes of the collapse, it seems history is about to repeat itself.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

richard5za

Post by richard5za »

Tom Mazanec wrote:Is the Coronavirus Outbreak China's Chernobyl?
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... nobyl.html
The death rate of the Spanish Flu was 10% to 20% because it was before antibiotics; this is the serious flaw in an otherwise interesting speculation. I grew up in a part of the world where penicillin only became available when I was age 7 and I am very aware that pneumonia without antibiotics is a real killer. Wuhan coronavirus is a viral pneumonia but antibiotics are needed to kill the secondary bacterial pneumonia infection which will probably also develop.

richard5za

Post by richard5za »

richard5za wrote:
John wrote:** 02-Feb-2020 World View: China's stock market opens

down.
I take your point on the unexpected causing panic which results in a seriously damaging sequences of economic and political events. The Chinese drop was expected and in fact the CCP said they were going to inject massive liquidity in the a reverse repo to cushion a serious drop. The SP 500 is in a bubble and a reversal / correction has been expected for a while, in fact last week the 5 dma fell below the 21 dma which many analysts regard as a trend change. But say China attacks Taiwan without warning that will be unexpected and will cause panic possibly leading to flash crashes
Just continuing with the point of the unexpected, one of the main events leading to the market crash of 2007/8 was the unexpected collapse of AIG the giant American and global insurer who had been insuring CDO's and other rogue paper. I remember early in 2007 asking a few financial adviser types how the math of CDO's worked, and they all didn't know and all said it must be OK because AIG was insuring them. Well it wasn't OK.

John

Post by John »

** 03-Feb-2020 World View: Wuhan coronavirus story in the news

I've watched three different networks this morning, and here's what I
saw:
  • On CNBC, the biggest story is the Wuhan coronavirus story, and
    its effects on investment strategies and other companies, particularly
    airline stocks.
  • On Fox Business Network, the biggest story is the Wuhan
    coronavirus story and its effects on investors, and a secondary
    political story is Trump's State of the Union speech on Tuesday.
  • On MSNBC, they specifically announced that there are just two big
    stories today: Trump's continuing impeachment trial and the Iowa
    caucasus. No mention at all of the Wuhan coronavirus story. These
    people truly live on a planet of their own.