Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Cool Breeze

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Cool Breeze »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 am
John may feel this post may be more accurately placed in another thread, but I found this article so compelling that I wanted to put it where I think the most people will see it. It's the most detailed and believable analysis of what appears to be going on in the U.S. now that I've seen.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news ... ty-tyrants

I followed some but not all of the many included hyperlinks, and they all appear to accurately support the points made.
As always, if anyone spots misleading or fallacious claims in the text, I would ask them to share their observations with us.
That's a really important piece. Great find, spotty.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

GUEST wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 am
Trump supporters won't be allowed to leave. They will be herded into gulags and tortured to death by BLM and other leftists. A digital and legal wall is being built to keep taxpayers from fleeing America and allowing only illegals and parasites to come and go freely. Don't believe me?
No, Don't believe you. Yes, the Biden administration will be bad put you're spouting the same over the top BS that the Left did for the past four years.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

GUEST wrote:
Trump supporters won't be allowed to leave. They will be herded into gulags and tortured to death by BLM and other leftists. A digital and legal wall is being built to keep taxpayers from fleeing America and allowing only illegals and parasites to come and go freely. Don't believe me?
Another reason why bitcoin, if you really believe this, is the only hope.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:38 pm
GUEST wrote:
No, Don't believe you. Yes, the Biden administration will be bad put you're spouting the same over the top BS that the Left did for the past four years.
Exacto.

Lightbulb

Post by Lightbulb »

Well I have to thank you all yet again. Especially John for providing the forum.

I live in Oregon and last Friday we had what is being termed an historic ice storm. When I woke up at 5:30 AM Saturday, it was pitch black. Our power was out. I went outside and watched as trees branches fell and power transformers exploded.

Later that day I drove around town. The damage was tremendous. Roads blocked by fallen trees. Limbs blocking driveways. It looked like every tree in town was damaged. Power lines and cables were snapped everywhere. Everything was covered in ice that hung around for the better part of three days. I’ve lived here for 27 years and have never seen anything even close to this level of damage.

The power system was devastated. This event happened to everyone in my community but only a few were prepared. I was one of them. Thanks to you guys.

I thanked you once before because I was prepared for The Great Toilet Paper Panic of 2020 that came after the China Virus shutdown.

Now I thank you because I was prepared for the Ice Catastrophe of 2021.

My preparation started last summer. Because of what I read here in the forum I went out generator shopping. I found a cheap one with good ratings and ordered it online. It came in about a week. I also bought the accessory wheel kit to make it easier to move the heavy beast. I downloaded the instructions on how to operate it and found out it needed oil and a ground rod. I bought the oil and a ground clamp. But didn’t buy the ground rod, I thought I could find a cheaper one somewhere. I also bought a very nice gas can and a siphon pump so I could use my car gas tank to get gas for the generator if I needed it. I also have made it my habit to never let the gas in any car’s tank get below half. I did all this because of what I had learned here.

My wife wondered why I was buying a generator in the summer. I told her it was just in case. In case of what she asked? In case the power grid goes out. I told her it was like insurance. I bought it and hoped I would never have to use it. I left the generator in the shipping box and put it in the garage.

In December after reading Navigator’s book I started making a list of the things I thought I might need to provide for my wife and I. I started accumulating things when they went on sale. One of those things was a -20º sleeping bag. I bought two of them from the outdoor store when they went on clearance after Christmas. I also I bought a compass and flint fire starter.

My wife was now wondered why I was buying camping equipment. I’ve always hated camping. I’ve never bought camping gear in my life. I told her this guy John has a website and another guy who’s name I don’t know wrote a book and these people I don’t know on the internet wrote things I read and agreed with. I tell you it was hard to explain it to her without looking like some kind of a kook. I told her again that it was like insurance. I hoped we would never have to use any of this stuff. I was still accumulating things when the Ice Catastrophe of 2021 hit.

On Saturday as I drove around looking at the damage I saw long lines forming at the gas stations. I haven’t seen gas lines like that since the gas rationing of the 1970’s. People were panicking. But not me. I knew I had a siphon hose and two full tanks of gas. I was still hoping I wouldn’t have to use the generator because at that point the Power Company was estimating power would be restored by Saturday night.

On Saturday night the power company moved up their estimate to Sunday night. Later on they changed it again to the indefinite “many days”. I told my wife the Power Company was lying to us and they had no idea when power would be restored. Just drive around and look at the damage.

Sunday morning I decided we should set up the generator. I didn’t have a ground rod so I went to the hardware store to see if I could get a proper one. My back up was copper pipe which I already had. While I was at the store I asked the salesman if they had any generators. He said yesterday the line was out the door to buy generators. Currently there weren’t any generators available from Portland to Eugene. Which is pretty much the densely populated part of the state of Oregon. I told him I had a brand new generator sitting in my garage. He told me I was smart and sold me a ground rod.

I went home and set the generator up. We now had power for the refrigerator and the freezer. We could charge our electronics, my toothbrush, electric shaver, run the washing machine and microwave oven. Not all at the same time.

We dried the clothes by the natural gas fireplace that ignites with batteries. The natural gas water heater gave us hot water and I had a hot shower every morning. The gas range we lit with matches so we could cook. My wife made me hot coffee every morning.

On Monday the neighbors started moving out. They were going to stay with folks who had power, heat and hot water. Those that didn’t have friends or relatives tried to find a hotel with power. Some huddled in their cars for warmth and to recharge their electronics. Some started fires in their wood fireplaces and seasoned wood became hard to get. I think the wood fires made their houses colder.

The neighbors who stayed couldn’t take hot showers and had to get in their cars and drive to find a fast food place with power so they could stand in line to get their morning coffee. The fast food lines looked like they gas lines. They had to drink their coffee fast because they couldn’t reheat it if it got cold. One neighbor told me his place was only warm within about 3 feet of the fire. He and his family went to live with relatives.

I had none of those worries. I was once again labeled smart because I had listened to you guys.

The best part was that when my wife’s friends would call her asking if we needed help or a place to stay she would say no thank you my husband has thought of every thing. We have hot food, clean clothes and a warm room to stay in. We’re just fine.

She could only tell them that and I could only provide it because I paid attention to what was discussed here and I bought Navigators book. After I his book I sent him more money since I believed then it was worth twice what I paid for it. It was. I’ve learned a lot from it. I also need to thank John for providing the forum and thank you the folks for posting things here. I’ve found it very helpful in a real way.

Our power and internet was restored late yesterday. We are almost back to normal now. But I’m a week behind on almost everything. My week without power has taught me things.

I’ve learned things here on the forum I know I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else. John even took time to educate me me about semicolons.

I want to add thanks to Aeden and Higgenbotham who have posted on the financial forum. They’ve been generous with their insights. I’m still all cash.

A “guest” posted a 22 point list of ways to hammer the plutocracy. I’m not so much interested in hammering anyone. But I don’t want to support them either. The list of suggestions was very helpful to me and I’ve applied some of it.

Just to be clear, I’m not a follower of anyone. I take in what is posted here and I decide for myself what to do. So far what I’ve learned here has allowed me to avoid major problems twice. I’m grateful to be allowed to listen into your conversations. It has helped my decision making immensely. There are some very sharp people who post things here. Thanks John for providing the forum and thanks to you all for sharing what you know.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm
GUEST wrote:
And what happens when we lose the internet? How does bitcoin survive?

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Lightbulb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:55 pm
My wife wondered why I was buying a generator in the summer. I told her it was just in case. In case of what she asked? In case the power grid goes out. I told her it was like insurance. I bought it and hoped I would never have to use it. I left the generator in the shipping box and put it in the garage.

This post has some good advice about how to deal with family members who haven't gotten to the stage of accepting that collapse is coming.

I had read an old book from the 1970s that told how to store food according to the Mormons. I bought some food they recommended that could be both stored long term and provide complete protein, enough food to survive for about a year and about 20 5 gallon pails from Sherwin-Williams. To store the food properly, I rented a nitrogen gas cylinder. I put the hose from the cylinder into the bottom of the bucket, put the food into the bucket, then put the lid over it, turned the valve on, which displaced the air out of the bucket with nitrogen until a match would go out when placed near the bucket, pulled the hose out, and snapped the bucket shut. Then put it all in the back of the closet.

One day, my wife was cleaning out the closet and she asked what was in the buckets. I said it's food storage, just in case. Like just in case the grocery stores are closed and there is no food available. She looked at me like I was nuts. She said this doesn't belong in a closet. I said, well, we can put it in the garage but the summer heat will degrade it more than it being in this closet and if we really need it, someone might see us carrying buckets around when they don't have any food. It went into the garage.

This week we had an ice storm, similar to what you described. The roads were too icy to get to the grocery store safely, many grocery stores were closed, and those that were open had long lines and reduced hours (noon to 5 in this area).

I asked my wife whether she thought that food might be better in the back of the closet. I said what would you do if you were out of food and saw someone carrying a 5 gallon bucket? She said she would ask them for some food, then agreed that the back of the closet is now the best place for that food.

I almost forgot to mention. When I returned the nitrogen gas cylinder, the owner of the gas company asked what I was doing with it. I told him. I asked him if anyone had ever rented a nitrogen gas cylinder for that purpose. He said no, not in the 25 years he'd been in that business had he ever heard that.

The food storage isn't for the kind of crisis that happened in Texas this week. It's for the kind of crisis that could have happened if the power grid had gone down for months (the news says that it came dangerously close to doing that) or more likely the crisis that is coming our way after the financial system collapses.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Good posts, men. Thanks.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

DaKardii wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm
Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm
GUEST wrote:
And what happens when we lose the internet? How does bitcoin survive?
It survives, but may be delayed. If the internet is lost, we have much bigger fish to fry. If the internet is lost, gold doesn't do much good either. If the internet is lost, you still need supplies like we would have in any case to try to fend for ourselves and do our best.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. It's much more likely that the internet isn't lost and your standard of living gets worse and worse and worse ... without having bitcoin. BTC can even get you away to a different region before drastic things happen that dramatically enhances your ability to avoid the worst of the worst doomsday scenarios.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Lightbulb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:55 pm

We dried the clothes by the natural gas fireplace that ignites with batteries. The natural gas water heater gave us hot water and I had a hot shower every morning. The gas range we lit with matches so we could cook. My wife made me hot coffee every morning.
Living in a hurricane-prone area, I can attest that natural gas, if available, is a great backup when the grid goes down. We have a 20kw natural gas generator that comes on automatically when the power goes out. We have had several instances of power outages for several days, and I must confess I feel a little guilty, everyone else is living like cavemen, and I don't even have to turn the stereo down. I'm sure an earthquake would take out the gas supply, societal collapse, who knows. I have friends who have many month's supply of underground propane tanks, but that's in another league.