Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by John »

** 30-Nov-2023 World View: Fatherly Advice
Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:48 am
> He has said that self driving cars
> would happen each of the last 6
> years, as well.

> Pay no attention to that,
> though. The singularity will happen
> soon! LOL

> So that you can defend yourself,
> however, with a prediction "that is
> apparently spot on" what do you mean
> exactly when you say that
> computers will be smarter or more
> intelligent than human person X?
>
I think you should ignore everything I
say and just go on with your life.

In fact, here's some fatherly advice:

Just go on living as you are today and
then, about ten years from now, take a
small slice of your Bitcoin fortune and
use it to purchase a beachfront mansion
in the Florida keys, and just retire
there for life.

DT Subscriber

Post by DT Subscriber »

War is coming. The time for doing business with China is finished
Xi Jinping can't be happy with the way things are shaping up
The recent attempt by China’s President Xi Jinping to halt worsening relations with the US in San Francisco – and so help his ever-downward-spiraling economy – was widely celebrated by the financial press, which noted the standing ovation American business elites gave Xi in San Francisco, after he told them that China is a “big market” and a willing “partner and friend” of the US.

While the White House read out of the meeting between President Joe Biden and Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the APEC Summit was fairly circumspect in tone, noting the tension between “potential cooperation” and “areas of difference”, the overall feeling in the US is still one of deep concern over Chinese ambitions across the region and over the island-nation of Taiwan, set to hold elections in early January. And America and its allies have every reason to worry.

Despite the flurry of minute steps taken by Xi in the so-called “thaw” – cracking down on fentanyl precursor chemicals, encouraging foreign investment into China, and restoring US-China military ties – Xi has made the “rejuvenation of the Chinese nation” a central plank of his decade-long rule. In a major speech given to the Party and the nation in 2021, Xi said that “resolving the Taiwan question and realizing China’s complete reunification is a historic mission and an unshakable commitment of the Communist Party of China”. And he has spent billions on the Chinese military, trying to create the ability to take the island nation by force if necessary. This year’s budget (2023) is more than double that of 10 years ago.

The business elites that wined and dined the Chinese leader, were, no doubt, oblivious to the Chinese J-10 and J-16 aircraft and helicopters operating off of central Taiwan and to the island’s southwest, crossing over the Taiwan Strait’s median line at will – this was once an unofficial barrier between the two sides – and pushing Taiwanese forces to respond. Monitoring these maneuvers, Taiwan’s military noted the increase in activities like this year-on-year since Xi came to power. As those American elites gave Xi a standing ovation, Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen said that the country faced “mounting military intimidation, gray-zone campaigns, cyber-attacks and information manipulation”, as it geared up for its elections.

The elections, set for January 13th, promise to enflame an already brittle peace, since the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) – despised in Beijing as separatists – look more and more likely to make gains against opposition parties that have failed to band together to form a pro-China alliance, as was expected. President Tsai Ing-wen – barred from running again – is less and less relevant as her Vice President Lai Ching-te moves the DPP presidential bid forward as its nominee for 2024.

While he has already committed to maintain “peace in the Taiwan Straits” and continue Tsai’s careful approach towards Taiwanese-Chinese relations, Lai Ching-Te described himself as a “pragmatic Taiwan independence worker” this past August. His choice of running mate, Bi-khim Hsiao – until recently Taiwan’s lead envoy to Washington and also known for her pro-independence stance – is a remarkably adept move, intended to keep the United States close to Taiwan over coming years.

For Beijing, the DPP ticket is a disaster. A mainland spokesman has warned that any moves towards “Taiwan independence” would mean war.

While the US has long held a position of “strategic ambiguity” – uncertainty as to whether it would defend Taiwan in a war with China – it has become a hallmark of Joe Biden’s presidency that the United States would not stand idly by and permit any attempt to use military force by Beijing against Taiwan. Famously, he said this openly in October 2021, the year that Russia invaded Ukraine. This support for Taiwan is shared on both sides of the House in Congress, where recent years have seen an uptick in American lawmakers visiting and pledging their support for the democratic island.

There is also an uptick in bills or draft bills that mention Taiwan, many of which explicitly side with the island, such as the Taiwan Peace through Strength Act, the Stand with Taiwan Act, the Taiwan Protection and National Resilience Act, the Taiwan Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act, and the Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act, all of which were put forward in 2023. The Biden Administration’s success in transferring Taiwan to its foreign military financing program – normally reserved for sovereign nations – has already boosted the US’ ability to help the Taiwanese defend themselves.

So while American business elites in the San Francisco Hyatt Hotel fancied themselves as peace-makers-for-profit, applauding a leader that the UN has said is responsible for “serious human rights violations”, their efforts are irrelevant to whether there is peace or war in the Indo-Pacific between the world’s largest and second largest powers. The fact is the decisive factor over whether there is war in the Taiwan Strait may boil down to the way that the Taiwan election is fought, won, and lost. And that should make all of us very attentive, and frankly, nervous.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... tion-navy/

God help us

Post by God help us »

Our governments are at war. Not with our enemies. They're at war with you.

Government unleashed military contractors to wage a psychological operations against Americans who held unwanted opinions.

Shellenberger: "US and UK military contractors" deployed "sophisticated psychological operations and disinformation tactics... against the American people."

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

https://www.newsweek.com/china-says-us- ... te-1848393

"The U.S. instigated and emboldened the Philippine side to infringe upon China's sovereignty, which escalated maritime tensions," Chinese Defense Ministry spokesperson Wu Qian said, in reference to Second Thomas Shoal, a Philippines-held reef China also claims jurisdiction over—as it does most of the resource-rich South China Sea.

Tensions between Manila and Beijing have escalated sharply in recent months as Chinese maritime forces obstruct and intimidate Philippine fishermen and coast guard missions. These incidents have occurred within the Philippines' Exclusive Economic Zone, an area extending 200 miles from its coastline.

Wu denounced U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's recent expression of support for the Philippines, with which the U.S. shares a mutual defense treaty.

Austin met with his Philippine counterpart Gilberto Teodoro Jr. on November 15 on the sidelines of an Association of Southeast Asian Nations defense ministers' meeting in Indonesia.

He reiterated President Joe Biden's statement that the U.S.' defense commitment to Manila is "ironclad" and Washington "stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the Philippines in defending its sovereign rights and jurisdiction in its Exclusive Economic Zone."

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/southc ... 54539.html

Everyone focuses on Taiwan but we're a small miscalculation, or some idiot doing something stupid, from the conflict going Kinetic. China is trying to get their way using bullying tactics and it might backfire. Or maybe that's what they want. Either way, they're playing with fire and everyone will get burnt.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

John wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:02 pm
** 30-Nov-2023 World View: Fatherly Advice
Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:48 am
> He has said that self driving cars
> would happen each of the last 6
> years, as well.

> Pay no attention to that,
> though. The singularity will happen
> soon! LOL

> So that you can defend yourself,
> however, with a prediction "that is
> apparently spot on" what do you mean
> exactly when you say that
> computers will be smarter or more
> intelligent than human person X?
>
I think you should ignore everything I
say and just go on with your life.

In fact, here's some fatherly advice:

Just go on living as you are today and
then, about ten years from now, take a
small slice of your Bitcoin fortune and
use it to purchase a beachfront mansion
in the Florida keys, and just retire
there for life.
Duly noted. Thanks.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

God help us wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:40 pm

Government unleashed military contractors to wage a psychological operations against Americans who held unwanted opinions.

Shellenberger: "US and UK military contractors" deployed "sophisticated psychological operations and disinformation tactics... against the American people."
This has been my thesis for the entire time I've been here. Yet for bringing up such points you get called a troll from another country.

I've always wondered why the legacy Americans won't admit what is obvious, at this point.

Post by Guest »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:10 pm
God help us wrote:

This has been my thesis for the entire time I've been here. Yet for bringing up such points you get called a troll from another country.

I've always wondered why the legacy Americans won't admit what is obvious, at this point.
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/ ... 2906298686

Journalist reporting on ‘Twitter Files’, Michael Shellenberger:

US and UK military contractors deployed sophisticated psychological operations and disinformation tactics... against the American people.

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Cool Breeze wrote:
God help us wrote:

Obvious? Tyranny? It's obvious some places and hidden others. You're still doing whatever you want so you're not subject to tyranny by any measure. Sure they could flip the switch when necessary. If you're that worried, you might be doing stupid stuff. Posting on here and prepping doesn't worry me.

Post by Guest »

FullMoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 am
Cool Breeze wrote:
God help us wrote:

Obvious? Tyranny? It's obvious some places and hidden others. You're still doing whatever you want so you're not subject to tyranny by any measure. Sure they could flip the switch when necessary. If you're that worried, you might be doing stupid stuff. Posting on here and prepping doesn't worry me.
America is already Brazil.

Soon it will be Zimbabwe.

And finally, it will become Haiti.

Ggge

Post by Ggge »

Where I grew up, it already is Haiti.

I can't believe how quickly the US and the UK have tanked.

The elites seems to think their money will protect them. It's always interesting when rich person gets carjacked and murdered by one of their pets.