Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Navigator

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Navigator »

I agree that we should protect the vulnerable, and part of that is all of us wearing masks to PROTECT OTHERS. It is a sign that we respect others and want them to be well.

Instead of protecting the vulnerable, the lockdown has kick-started what will be an rapidly accelerating financial catastrophe. At the same time we have accelerated the timeline for the coming great war.

Right now only a few percent of the country are in dire straights, including families who have lost loved ones. This will increase greatly as financial meltdown affects a much larger percentage. Then, of course, everyone will be affected by the great war.

The "institutions of man" will all fail. These include: financial markets, social security, pension plans, the government (ours and everybody else's).

I believe it will take a bit more than a decade for collapse. It will take a global war to do it, and I believe we will come out of it in the condition of WW1 France (bankrupt, an entire generation basically wiped out, massive infrastructure damage)

To answer an earlier question, I would move to the Intermountain West. Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana are the best bets IMHO. Lesser desirable, but better than any coastal or midwestern urban area would be Colorado, northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, Nevada (outside of Las Vegas). other midwest areas (non urban - west of Mississippi) would be below that on my priority list. I would not go anywhere where lack of Air Conditioning can kill you, as I expect the power grid to be "iffy" when war starts.

A well known financial blogger, Mike Shedlock, has written extensively on leaving Chicago and moving to southern Utah. (see MishTalk).

BTW, anyone who would like to communicate more directly with me is free to contact me with a private message. Just keep it civil.

mooreupp

Post by mooreupp »

Sweden appears to have hit herd immunity. The press is poo pooing it, but cases have collapsed despite more testing and they never shut down (although did take some actions). That is really hard to explain any other way. Karl Denninger of Market Ticker thinks we are a few weeks behind and I'm generally in agreement. We'd be there now if not for lockdowns.

As for masks, I actually mostly disagree about the idea of wearing them. Avoid nursing homes and hospitals if you can or wear them there, but we are hitting herd immunity no matter what. We want the young and healthy to get this given the numbers aren't bad for them. We also want them to get it sooner than later as that leaves less time for it to get into nursing homes which causes problems.

Beyond all that, asystematic transmission is rare at most even by the WHO at this point and there is no evidence of asymptomatic respitory transmission still. The masks are just inducing fear at this point and trying to show they are doing something.

mooreupp

Post by mooreupp »

One final note, herd immunity does not mean we get zero cases, but does mean numbers cant pick up at same rate. We'll get spikes here and there as they hit previously untouched places, but we gradually decline at that point.

It becomes an issue again if we get mutations (which we probably will, this isn't going anywhere).

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

Navigator wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm
To answer an earlier question, I would move to the Intermountain West. Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana are the best bets IMHO. Lesser desirable, but better than any coastal or midwestern urban area would be Colorado, northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, Nevada (outside of Las Vegas). other midwest areas (non urban - west of Mississippi) would be below that on my priority list. I would not go anywhere where lack of Air Conditioning can kill you, as I expect the power grid to be "iffy" when war starts.
Mostly just stay out of dense metro areas. The outer ring suburbs and rural areas should be fine. You don't need to be a survivalist, just avoid the hordes in the inner city.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

The problem with many states is that they are controlled by a liberal legislature that will only tax more and protect less. Even if you are in a rural area. So living in Peoria may give you some protection from what is going on in Chicago, it won't protect you from what the legislature in Illinois does (or doesn't do).

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

I live in an exurb between Cleveland and Akron...is that a good place?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Illinois is ranked as the worst state in terms of governance and fiscal responsibility. Ohio is 41 out of 50, so at the low end. It appears the fiscal demands and political clout of the urban areas are overwhelming the rest of the state.

I prefer west of the Mississippi as the culture out here includes a lot that will promote people helping each other while the government and its programs fall apart. Of course the Pacific coast and New Mexico are different.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Tom Mazanec wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 am
I live in an exurb between Cleveland and Akron...is that a good place?
John Michael Greer wrote a fictional book called Retrotopia where the area in the US between the Ohio River and the Great Lakes (the future Lakeland Republic, which I think is headquartered in Ohio) has a relatively bright future compared to the rest of the US. Although fictional, in his blog near the time the book was published, he gives his reasons as to why he believes that part of the country may do better than the rest of the US after it descends into civil war and chaos.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

John

Post by John »

** 14-Jul-2020 World View: Akron
Tom Mazanec wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 am
> I live in an exurb between Cleveland and Akron...is that a good
> place?
Higgenbotham wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am
> John Michael Greer wrote a fictional book called Retrotopia where
> the area in the US between the Ohio River and the Great Lakes (the
> future Lakeland Republic, which I think is headquartered in Ohio)
> has a relatively bright future compared to the rest of the US.
> Although fictional, in his blog near the time the book was
> published, he gives his reasons as to why he believes that part of
> the country may do better than the rest of the US after it
> descends into civil war and chaos.
Also, why would China want to waste one of its missiles on Akron?

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

The WWIII Alliance shaping up:
High Alert (July 14,20) US-Russian Send 92 Tanks and Missile to Help Indian Amid Tension with China
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mX60PARcA
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain