Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
DaKardii

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by DaKardii »

DaKardii wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 pm
I've mentioned Friedman on here before. John isn't a fan; he thinks Friedman doesn't know what he's talking about. But since you're interested, I'll elaborate on what Friedman believes anyway.

Friedman believes that the 2020s will be defined by a Second Cold War, one that pits the US against China and Russia. In the end the US will win once again, but at a price. As China and Russia fragment, key American allies (particularly Japan, Poland, and Turkey) will begin pursuing their own expansionist policies within the resulting power vacuums, while the US struggles to keep them in check (and thus maintain its own de facto empire).

The 2030s and 2040s will be defined by the US losing ground across Eurasia. As Japan and Turkey displace American power (in East Asia and the Middle East, respectively), the US will begin treating them not as allies, but as enemies. Meanwhile, the rise of Poland will severely disrupt the balance of power in Europe, and eventually lead to another East-West divide. Except this time, the US and the UK will side with the East (led by Poland), resulting in the West (led by France and Germany) becoming an enemy of the US as well.

Around 2050 or so, the continued fragmentation of the US' de-facto empire will result in the outbreak of a Third World War, pitting the US, the UK, Poland, India, Korea, and what remains of China against Japan, Turkey, France, Germany, and possibly Mexico. In essence, it will be like a replay of World War II, except this time the Middle East and possibly Mexico are aligned with the Axis. And once again, the Allies would be the victorious party.

The rest of the century will be defined by a Third Cold War, this time pitting the US against Poland and especially Mexico. Regardless of how badly it suffers during World War III, Mexico will make a comeback during the second half of the century, and its geopolitical power will reach unprecedented heights. The rise of Mexican power will dramatically inflame nationalist and irredentist sentiments among Mexican-Americans, especially in the Southwest. By 2100, the US will be facing its greatest internal crisis since the Civil War, with many in the Southwest calling for secession. However, Friedman does not elaborate on what would occur beyond that, as he is not interested in making predictions beyond the 21st century.
Personally, I can see a way to reconcile John's predictions with Friedman's predictions, by incorporating Navigator's predictions.

John's World War III prediction comes true, and the US is victorious against China. Meanwhile, regardless of who's aligned with who in World War III, Friedman's prediction for the 2030s and 2040s still comes true. The 2030s and 2040s serve as the interwar period that Navigator talks about, and dictators rise in France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Poland, and Turkey. Friedman's World War III prediction comes true, but that war is actually the World War IV that Navigator talks about. The rest of the century plays out as Friedman predicts.

Post by Guest »

Friedman is a sociopathic neocon. America has never been his primary concern...

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Guest wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:50 pm
I won't go to that extreme, but I've read his book, "The Next 100 Years" and while it has some decent "predictions" in it, it's mostly BS.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

El Cid M

Post by El Cid M »

Some of you can chose to runaway--for whatever reason--but I will die fighting for America, even though it is overrun with illegals and ingrates. It's still the only country I have ever had or wanted.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

El Cid M wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 am
Some of you can chose to runaway--for whatever reason--but I will die fighting for America, even though it is overrun with illegals and ingrates. It's still the only country I have ever had or wanted.
Like I said in another post, I will fight and die for my community. Whether that be the town I live in, the county, the state, or the country has yet to be determined. My first line of defense is my family. Right now, I am having to protect my family against the overreach of my government (country). Why would I fight for the very people that I am resisting?

If you're identity is tied up in your "country", then you have bigger problems.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Is this really news? I thought Russia has always viewed Taiwan as part of Communist China.

Russia Says Taiwan is Part of China

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Interesting. I think the general framework that Friedman suggests (I don't support him necessarily) is what I've said is a highly likely potential outcome, since as I've said before, it's all about probabilities, unlike the GD claims from the heavy hitters here that things MUST happen. That is, there doesn't have to be a war, another cold war could happen for many reasons, putting off the WWIII for decades. In fact, the world is so different now the cycles don't have to be abandoned (the objection by GD and other cycle predictors), but they can easily but delayed or put back, which is my whole point.

I think someone pointed out Peter Turchin in the past, and John said he was generally no good. Is that correct? At his blog (cliodynamica?), a few informative posts I ran across were (these were from 2013):

Szopeno said:
My idea: as the cooperation grows, and people trust more each other, this creates easy opportunities for sociopathes and other social parasites to exploit the rest of the society, which increases inequality. Then crisis comes when parasites are too numerous and too powerful for the society to function properly. Crisis wipes the wealth and limits parasite growth. As parasites are cleaned out, general trust increases.

Inequality, IMO, is just the symptom, not the cause.
Then Joe said:
The article intentionally avoids the obvious – multicultural societies become non-cohesive over time. Homogeneous societies are simply more cooperative. The idea that cultural diversity within the same geographical area is an inherently good thing is nothing but an article of faith. There is massive evidence to the contrary but its ideological adherents are as difficult to convince with science and logic as any religious fundamentalist.
These accurately describe America in the last 60 years. Regardless of the propaganda efforts to constantly portray them as victims (and this is not all of them, but history is replete with them as the classic example), the influence and position of "jews" in a society is precisely a cycle, which would be a classic reference to what Szopeno is referring to.

Not all that unrelated, Joe references a reality of human beings that is a version of Babel, which of course is another reason why it doesn't work. Interestingly enough the very parasites that the first quote references hide behind the "multiculturalism" and similar, religious type ideas to further their goals. And get richer. It's not a coincidence that divide and conquer, and marxism, are aligned and overwhelmingly supported and promoted by certain people.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Guest wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:50 pm
Very possible. Again, that would fit my post above, which is hardly a coincidence, either.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Time isn't necessarily on China's side, even if it might appear that way. They're only beginning to realize how badly they've screwed themselves over with their one-child policy, not to mention all the environmental damage.

In 1941, Hitler attacked the Soviet Union in part because Germany was as strong as it was ever going to be versus them. If he waited and allowed the Soviets to fully prepare, he'd be in a much worse position. In 1941, the Red Army was still weak and disorganized from the purges.

Similar to the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor. We were mobilizing for war and already matching them in production. If they waited, we'd bury them in ships without firing a shot. (Though we ended up doing so anyway)

I expect China will make a similar calculation, given the demographic and economic problems they're facing. Bad as things are for us, we're doing better than many.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

How quickly do you think they act, Trevor?