Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Trevor

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Trevor »

If it was necessary, we could transition to a wartime economy, but such a thing would take 3 years to fully mobilize. In the Second World War, we began transitioning in June 1940 after the fall of France and it took until 1943 to fully do so.

Back in the 1980s, we had twice the number of combat aircraft in the Air Force that we do now. I recently read a report made in 1985 expressing concern that building 250 combat planes per year was insufficient. Taking support and navel aircraft into account, we were able to build several hundred aircraft over the course of a year. Similar for tanks and other vehicles. After the Cold War, however, we dismantled a great deal of our military infrastructure. What we had was considered more than enough, at least until a few years ago.

The best way to cripple China would be to blockade the Strait of Malacca, the Java Sea, and the Sulu Sea. More than anything, Britain's blockade of Germany is what finished them during the First World War. China's dependent on food and oil imports from overseas and while I think they could push us away from their immediate borders while suffering massive losses, they don't have the capability to fight us so far away from home. However, this strategy would be a slow one, once we recognize that this is going to be a long war.

We'd have to mobilize our full strength against a peer competitor for something lasting more than a few months. China would have a similar issue, given it isn't like turning on a light switch. Their ballistic missiles appear intimidating, but they not only have to hunt down our ships in hundreds of thousands of miles of ocean, they need to do so with our own aircraft hunting them down, then getting through our defenses. Both sides would run out of missiles quickly and we won't know how well these missiles perform until the fighting stops.

I wish you the best, John. If the worst happens, thanks for everything I've learned about history and Generational Dynamics.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

We're all praying for you, John.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

John wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am
Apparently, I have to head back to the hospital. I assume that I'll
be coming back home some time, but who knows? Be ready, Higgie.
My best wishes for your health, John.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:35 pm
Yes, for strength and a speedy recovery.

Best to John and to all.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Same here John! All the best.

Hang in there so you can see your predictions come true.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

John wrote:
Get well soon, John!

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Yes, we are!
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Adding to the prayers and hoping you make it just a little longer for vindication. But rest peacefully knowing you've done good work with a good heart, soon enough.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Take care of yourself John, and please recover so you can chew me out for expecting inflation again!
Last edited by Tom Mazanec on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

El Cid M

Post by El Cid M »

John wrote:
Praying for you, John.