Middle East

Topics related to current and historical events occurring in various countries and regions
John

Security Council resolution

Post by John »

A few minutes ago, the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution calling
for a cease-fire from Israel's side.
The resolution did not mention Hamas or the rockets.

The U.S. had opposed any resolution that did not call for a cease-fire
on the Hamas side.

The surprise was that the US abstained, rather than vetoing it. So it passed
14-0, with one abstention.

My guess: Condoleeza Rice conferred with Barack Obama's staff, and they
told her not to veto it.

Interesting times.

John

JimZ

Re: Middle East

Post by JimZ »

Whatever Israel plans to do, they better do it by Jan 20. I have a feeling they are about to experience the International aspect of "elections have consequences". Although Obama has signaled support for Israel, I am suspicious. I actually am very surprised that Israel has not bombed Iran yet - I really doubt an Obama administration will support it after Jan 20. And for those who think that Israel can act independent of the US, realize that a lot of their re-supply of bombs, plane parts, etc has to come from the US - along with a lot of financial support. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

StilesBC

Re: Middle East

Post by StilesBC »

JimZ wrote:Whatever Israel plans to do, they better do it by Jan 20. I have a feeling they are about to experience the International aspect of "elections have consequences". Although Obama has signaled support for Israel, I am suspicious. I actually am very surprised that Israel has not bombed Iran yet - I really doubt an Obama administration will support it after Jan 20. And for those who think that Israel can act independent of the US, realize that a lot of their re-supply of bombs, plane parts, etc has to come from the US - along with a lot of financial support. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
Jim,

Obama's chief of staff is Rahm Emmanuel. As such, I don't see any noticeable change in policy toward the middle east.