Comments on the election

The interplay of politics and the media with music and culture
Reality Check

Re: Comments on the election

Post by Reality Check »

OLD1953 wrote:Give it a couple of weeks and we'll know.
The sad part is that Obama is even in the running at this point.

President Hoover is the only President in history who had a worse record.

Obama promised to cut the deficit in half, then more than doubled it.

Rode the economy down losing more jobs than any President in history, then, after U.S. jobs hit bottom, Obama could not even create enough jobs to keep up with population growth.

Obamacare, set new records for unpopular, one party legislation.

Fewer People were working in August 2012 than when Obama took office in January 2009. Which is unheard in America three years after the end of a recession. Not since President Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt over 70 years ago has the economy been so bad, for so long.

Obama forced General Motors and Chrysler through bankruptcy, and then bragged about "saving" them.

Trade Deficits with China are up to all time highs, yet Obama brags about how he "changed the relationship" with China.

16 Trillion in Debt and Obama is promising to increase them by $1 Trillion dollar a year for the next 4 years.

Just unbelievable that even 40% of American voters would consider voting for Obama.

But I agree, it is still way to close to call, and Obama is still polling well in Ohio, and as Ohio goes, so goes the election.

gerald

Post by gerald »

"Just unbelievable that even 40% of American voters would consider voting for Obama."

Reality Check ---Maybe this is why

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Ohio is still in play...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-o ... ImDwIZtg_6
From the Linked Article wrote:

In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.

Such a move would crash the economy in towns like Toledo, Ohio, where Jeeps are made and supplied, and rob the community of the economic security they thought Obama's auto bailout assured them...

Obama is such a fan of Jeep that he included a picture of himself speaking at the Toledo plant in his newly released second term agenda binder. In his address to the plant in 2011, Obama said, "I just took a short tour of the plant and watched some of you putting the finishing touches on the Wrangler. Now, as somebody reminded, I need to call it the 'iconic' Wrangler. And that's appropriate because when you think about what Wrangler has always symbolized. It symbolized freedom, adventure, hitting the open road, never looking back."

Well it appears that the taxpayer bailed-out Chrysler is looking back and now considering cutting costs by shifting production of all Jeeps to China, which has a strong desire for Jeeps.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-o ... ImDwIZtg_6

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

I'm seeing a lot of gaming going on, and most of it is meant to show the race as a real squeaker. This is wholly due to wanting that last penny of advertising bucks. I forsee the excuses being that Democrats all vote early and Republicans aren't smart enough to vote early when a hurricane is coming. This myth of dumb Republicans has been building for years now and is a news organization meme. I honestly doubt there's a measurable amount of IQ difference between Democrats and Republicans overall.

BTW, come on now. Doesn't anyone even read the candidate positions? Romney wants to create bigger and better open trade agreements, says so on his website. Any such multinational agreement as his proposed Reagan Economic Zone requires handing off a large part of national soverign authority and ajudication of legal status of laws in the agreed countries to an international committee and also allows companies to sue or ask for enforcement or relaxation of laws due to laws passed in other countries. Given what I've read over the last 20 years, I have to believe most Republicans are against such things.

I've said it before, I'll keep saying it till someone listens, people vote for emotional reasons, not logical reasons.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

You can't make this stuff up. Who dreamed this up anyhow? Do that in the states I live in, you'd be seriously risking your life because somebody is going to get really angry.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/v ... ood-voters

A group called Americans for Limited Government is sending letters to people encouraging them to vote by showing them the voting history of their neighbors.

The letter, which people have reported receiving in at least six competitive states, is presented in the form of a “vote history audit.”

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

And we go right back to the final election results being pretty much what I said they'd be when I started this thread.

The polling game has been taken over by generation X, and the result has been that polls were blatantly skewed starting with the first debate, for the purpose of raking in the money. Or you can believe the public is totally fickle and changed their mind a dozen times, but went right back where they started. Me, I'll go with the money.

John

Post by John »

Dick Morris on Fox News has been predicting for weeks that Romney will
win with 325 electoral votes. He was still certain of that as late as
Monday evening.

On the other hand, I still remember that Morris said that Hillary
Clinton would never run for senator for NY because she could never
win. And he also predicted that Harry Reid would lose in Nevada in
2010. I'm surprised this guy has any credibility left at all.

On the other other hand, some Democratic pollsters on MSNBC were
predicting a landslide for Obama. They should have lots of
credibility now.

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

I knew Obama would win. Not my choice, but then again my choices for 2008 and 2012 lost in the primary. But I knew Obama would win in 2012 back when he won 2008. The man's a power seeker. And when the GOP candidate was Romney, my thoughts were "Why? This is the man that lost to McCain. How can anybody that lost to McCain of all people, hope have a chance to beat Obama?"

And I'm reading the right-wing tweets and I'm thinking they just don't get it. I think generational dynamics explains Obama's victory rather well. The Boomers are being phased out by the Xers. I'm 43, but I don't side the Xers causing the harm that John points out in his articles, fraud should be prosecuted and all that. But I see the outcome of this election as Xers and Millennials coming to power. No amount of spreading a Conservative Message is going to change that. The Progressive Movement has a tremdous amount of momentum; they are well entrenched in education, the media, and entertainment, and practically control the population centers that determine elections. It's like a tsunami that has been building energy for decades and has reached shore. How does one fight a tsunami? You run for higher ground and wait it out. People learn more from experience and mistakes, and the Xers and Millennials are going to have to learn the same way, thus the cycle repeats.

The right-wingers are gearing up for 2014, but I think the GOP will look at this election and eschew the Conservative Movement. They seek power too, and they want to win.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I had hope Romney would in, but he unfortunately lost. The only good news is we're still heading for a crash and Obama may end up getting a good portion of the blame.

Part of the reason the Republicans are so paralyzed seems to be generational fighting. The Democrats are mostly controlled by Generation X, but the Republican Party is split. Most of the establishment Republicans seem to be boomers, while most of the so-called "Tea Party Republicans" Belong to Generation X. If you look at the rising stars of the GOP: Paul Ryan, Nikki Haley, Scott Walker, Marco Rubio... they're all X-ers. Throughout Romney's campaign, I listened to a lot of anger towards him because they felt he wasn't being aggressive enough, that he should have constantly hammered Obama at every opportunity the way he did to Romney. Admittedly, I think they had a point, but it says something about the different attitudes.

Looks like within a few years, the Nomads will be in effective control of both parties.

John

Post by John »

Trevor wrote:The only good news is we're still heading for a crash...
Not a good thing to say.