Ron Paul

The interplay of politics and the media with music and culture
StilesBC

Ron Paul

Post by StilesBC »

I am interested in knowing what people who visit this website think about Ron Paul, his Campaign for Liberty and Libertarianism in general. He has been correct in predicting a lot of the current problems we are having.

I know John believes that this crisis was inevitable, regardless of politics, and I agree completely. What wasn't (and still isn't) inevitable is it's severity and length. Some generational crises eras blow over relatively quickly, some result in the end of the society altogether. What political idealism is best suited to ensure the former and prevent the latter?

Both McCain and Obama seem to be clueless in regards to what is happening or what "to do about it." Even though we know nothing can be done to prevent it. If these guys are both so useless, what should Americans do?

Sound Off.

John

Re: Ron Paul

Post by John »

StilesBC wrote:II know John believes that this crisis was
inevitable, regardless of politics, and I agree completely. What
wasn't (and still isn't) inevitable is it's severity and length. Some
generational crises eras blow over relatively quickly, some result in
the end of the society altogether. What political idealism is best
suited to ensure the former and prevent the latter?
Unfortunately its severity and length are inevitable, though the
severity and length can't be predicted.

To put it more precisely, there's nothing that any politician can do
that will have a PREDICTABLE effect on what's coming. A politician
may change something unintentionally, and historians looking back may
blame or praise him for it, and may even say that he made the crisis
more or less severe because of it. But there are too many very
powerful forces at work during a crisis for anyone to have any idea
what's coming, when it's coming, how bad it will be, when it will
stop, and what actions will affect it in any non-trivial way.

Exercise for the reader: How did the Normandy landing affect the
length and severity of WW II? What would have happened if an
alternative had been used? Or was the Normandy landing itself forced
by the expectations of the public masses? I don't know the answers
to these questions, but I do know that the answers are very
nontrivial, and may be unknowable.

Sincerely,

John

John J. Xenakis
E-mail: john@GenerationalDynamics.com
Web site: http://www.GenerationalDynamics.com
Forum: http://www.GenerationalDynamics.com/forum

Matt1989

Post by Matt1989 »

StilesBC wrote:I am interested in knowing what people who visit this website think about Ron Paul, his Campaign for Liberty and Libertarianism in general. He has been correct in predicting a lot of the current problems we are having.

I know John believes that this crisis was inevitable, regardless of politics, and I agree completely. What wasn't (and still isn't) inevitable is it's severity and length. Some generational crises eras blow over relatively quickly, some result in the end of the society altogether. What political idealism is best suited to ensure the former and prevent the latter?
Hard to say. A strong centralized government is equally prone to societal collapse compared to a series of decentralized communities, perhaps moreso. History tends to move onward without heed to individual ideology (though societal ideology undoubtedly shapes history), so changes must come from the 'bottom-up.' This sort of realization is mainly a response to prior systems, so for libertarianism to succeed (or at least gain some traction), society would have to recognize the failure of the current statist structure.

Ron Paul (I'm not sure I'd describe him as a libertarian FWIW) did have some popularity among certain groups, but it's clear that for the time being, America isn't heading in that direction. Perhaps in 10-20 years, we'll have some perspective on the efforts of his followers. It may be a flash in the pan or a signal of something greater. Today, we just can't know.
Both McCain and Obama seem to be clueless in regards to what is happening or what "to do about it." Even though we know nothing can be done to prevent it. If these guys are both so useless, what should Americans do?
Protecting yourself and those close to you while educating the rest is infinitely more important than a single pull of the lever.
Last edited by Matt1989 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt1989

Post by Matt1989 »

As an aside, I think it's impossible to separate politics from theory. Or rather, one shouldn't separate the two after acquiring knowledge of generational theory.

StilesBC

Post by StilesBC »

Thanks for the responses guys. I can't say I disagree with any of that.

"Protecting yourself and those close to you while educating the rest is infinitely more important than a single pull of the lever."

This is what I am attempting to do via my new website, futronomics.blogspot.com - socioeconomics are one of the sciences I focus on and I use a generational theory perspective when doing so. Ever since reading "The Fourth Turning" a few years ago, my eyes have been opened up not to just the last few years of history but to all history since the beginning of organized civilization. I only wish I found this site earlier.

Thanks again, John, for all your hard work.

Matt1989

Post by Matt1989 »

StilesBC wrote: This is what I am attempting to do via my new website, futronomics.blogspot.com - socioeconomics are one of the sciences I focus on and I use a generational theory perspective when doing so. Ever since reading "The Fourth Turning" a few years ago, my eyes have been opened up not to just the last few years of history but to all history since the beginning of organized civilization. I only wish I found this site earlier.
Thanks, I'll check it out.