Millennials

The Silent Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, Generation-X, the Millennial Generation (or Generation-Y) and the Pivotal Generation (Generation Z)
Tom Mazanec

Millennials

Post by Tom Mazanec »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Tom Mazanec

Re: Millennials

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Millennials are the worst generation http://nypost.com/2016/07/04/im-a-mille ... ion-sucks/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CrosstimbersOkie

Post by CrosstimbersOkie »

I don't buy any of it. I'm a Gen-Xer, born in 1963. I work in federal law enforcement, and we have been hiring Millennials in large numbers beginning in about 2009. They are a pleasure to work with. Strauss & Howe hit the nail on the head in describing them. They, in just a few years have changed the culture of my agency significantly. Once they begin to enter supervisory positions in large numbers I predict that they will turn the agency around for the better.

They truly are team players and extremely easy to get along with, especially compared to older Boomers and mid generation Gen-Xers. If I have to criticize them it would be on their being too ready to do what they are told by persons in authority, and too unwilling to dig in and find answers themselves. For instance, when I began working in law enforcement in 1990, if you wanted a statute or an agency policy, you had to find a law library or beg an administrative assistant for a copy. But, people still knew law and policy to a much greater extent than they do today. Today, everything is literally available at your fingertips but Millennials don't seem to possess the energy to let their fingers do the walking and discover for themselves the proper way of doing things. They would rather be told. Which makes them vulnerable to manipulations that we older Gen-Xers would never tolerate.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

This has been a strange Fourth Turning, especially if it began in 2001 like John thinks. If this were a winter, we would have had half an inch of snow on Thanksgiving, and none since...and it is almost Valentine's Day. Not to wish for Chinese "interesting times" but by the sixteenth year of any other Fourth Turning the world would have been torn apart by now. Since Millennials are the generation maturing in this turning, they may be unique also.
Gen Z, whatever they may end up being called, are likely to be even more different, since they are being born and raised in this odd time.

jmm1184

Post by jmm1184 »

Table of America and other nation's mid-cycle periods, from climax of a crisis war to the next regeneracy event, and an equivalency to today's mid-cycle period.

Post-Civil War mid-cycle period, 1865-1941 (1945-2021)
Post-Revolutionary War mid-cycle period, 1781-1861 (1945-2025)
New England: Post-King Philips War mid-cycle period, 1678-1775 (1945-2042)
Western Europe: Post-War of the Spanish Succession, 1709-1792 (1945-2028)

It's not uncommon for the crisis war to happen late in the fourth turning, or even extend into the fifth turning. The Millennials still have 5 years until their crisis era exceeds that of their grandparents.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

xkcd on Millennials:
https://www.xkcd.com/2165/

agropilot

Post by agropilot »

Another one interesting about Millennials https://sites.duke.edu/thefinregblog/20 ... vestments/