The split of the US from Britain in the Saeculum 1776

The Silent Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, Generation-X, the Millennial Generation (or Generation-Y) and the Pivotal Generation (Generation Z)
Alosito79

The split of the US from Britain in the Saeculum 1776

Post by Alosito79 »

Strauss and Howe have stated that the US was part if the Anglo-American lineage. That’s still the case, but a splitting point occurs when the 13colonies/US in 1776 is in a crisis mode due to the revolutionary war and yet Britain is still in an Unraveling so the American war of independence was not a crisis war for Britain. The USCrisis is resolved yet after the war, Britain heads towards a crisis with the Napoleonic wars at the turn if the 18th-19th century. Where the US had Jefferson in 1776, the Brits have Nelson in 1805 embodying their Hero Archtypes. George III was nemesis to the US crisis yet for Britain their crisis nemesis well was Napoleon. Yet Napoleon was actually an Artist generation more akin to the Kaiser than Hitler. The US resolution was after the Whisky revel putdown in 1789 and Bill of Rigths, yet the UK crisis resolution was the congress of Vienna 1815.Yet like the Anglo-American lineage, the US/UK even after WWII still remains on track, for Britain the High:Queen Elizabeth 1952, the Awakening: Beatles, Swinging London,
Unraveling rise of Thatcher and Blair and deep criticism of the monarchy and now the crisis of 2008. The US side is chronicled in the Fourth Turning. Any thoughts?

Alosito79

Re: The split of the US from Britain in the Saeculum 1776

Post by Alosito79 »

I think it was the colonies and England where in the same Unraveling era in the 1770’s, it was the American Colonies soon to be the Unites States when the Revolutionary war breaks out that gets the “First Turning Reset”. While Britain’s Unraveling gets a extension until it’s Catalyst with the French Revolution in 1789.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

The problem with that is the American War of Independence has very little significance in Britain. From their perspective, it's just one of many wars they fought during the 18th century.

Our timelines didn't merge until the Civil War and World War II. The English Civil War had a smaller impact in the colonies. Strauss and Howe's own descriptions don't mesh with Britain and the United States being on the same timeline.

What makes it more complicated is that the colonies themselves were on separate timelines.

Alosito79

Post by Alosito79 »

Trevor wrote:The problem with that is the American War of Independence has very little significance in Britain. From their perspective, it's just one of many wars they fought during the 18th century.

Our timelines didn't merge until the Civil War and World War II. The English Civil War had a smaller impact in the colonies. Strauss and Howe's own descriptions don't mesh with Britain and the United States being on the same timeline.

What makes it more complicated is that the colonies themselves were on separate timelines.
The American Revolution and I believe was a Crisis war for all the colonies. It was a Third Turning conflict to Britain and it wasn’t significant. Many Brit’s themselves were opposed to the war and thought George III mad.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Alosito79 wrote: The American Revolution and I believe was a Crisis war for all the colonies. It was a Third Turning conflict to Britain and it wasn’t significant. Many Brit’s themselves were opposed to the war and thought George III mad.
Yes, but I would say the Northern Colonies were deepest into a crisis war. The Southern Colonies didn't play a major role in the world until the last couple of years. I did a bit of research and there are some Indian Wars I think would make good candidates. I just want to avoid confirmation bias.

Alosito79

Post by Alosito79 »

That’s interesting that each of the colonies were on seperate timelines. But how would the crisis play out if Britain actually won the Revolution?

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I gave that some thought. Say, after Yorktown, the British decided to continue fighting, which if about 20 votes had gone the other way, they would have. The French were questioning whether it was worth the price of the war and the colonies were bankrupt.

If they won, what comes to mind is... a few of the Founding Fathers are executed, more are imprisoned, but a surprising number are granted clemency. Britain treated the colonists with a lot more leniency than they treated the Irish. Although I don't think they would have been able to hold onto it in the long term. An ocean separates us and the size of the colonies make permanent peace difficult. Even if we lost, we might get some of what we wanted.

Alosito79

Post by Alosito79 »

I’m interested in where does France fit in the Generation pattern.

Alosito79

Post by Alosito79 »

Now I wonder where Britain is headed with the Brexit and how it foresees the clash of Civilizations??

AL2021

Post by AL2021 »

Britain had a similar attitude towards the war of 1812 when Britain was in a Crisis with Napoleon but had a more consolidated attitude with North America by then. But what were the chances of a Turning reset for the US by 1814.