Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Higgenbotham

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:32 pm
The Coming Dark Age

Blog/Understanding Cycles

Posted Sep 20, 2016 by Martin Armstrong
These are the key points I've taken from Armstrong's blog entry.
The cause is always political corruption.

Coinage is debased because of the corruption in government. The system as we know it is always doomed to failure simply because we are satisfied as a whole with bread and circuses and let politicians run wild in their greed.

We can understand what is coming and WHY, and perhaps take that first step out of darkness and move into the light of a realistic political system that ends the bribing of citizens and this eternal battle of political corruption.

These are some of the general thoughts I've had on the topic posted here over the years.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:00 pm
I'm going to make a novice attempt to define the difference between the beginning of a Dark Age and a typical fourth turning crisis era.

First attempt: A Dark Age is defined as the social and political breakdown of a regional or world hegemonic power which creates a power vacuum for which there is no clear and immediate successor.

Now I'll use Tuchman's words to further attempt to define a Dark Age.

"Mankind was not improved by the message. Consciousness of wickedness made behavior worse."

This is a clear distinction in my view and we are seeing Dark Age behaviors today, behaviors that have not been seen to this extent in seven centuries. As the financial crimes go unprosecuted, the consciousness of that knowledge has apparently increased the willingness to commit even bigger financial crimes.

"Rules crumbled, institutions failed in their functions. Knighthood did not protect; the Church, more worldly than spiritual, did not guide the way to God."

Another clear distinction. Today's dominant institution, the nation-state, which displaced the decrepit 14th century institutions, is failing in its functions, is not protecting, and is morally bankrupt.

"The towns, once agents of progress and the commonweal, were absorbed in mutual hostilities and divided by class war."

This hasn't happened yet, but the flash mobs, Anonymous and Occupy Wall Street movements are probably the beginning of the mutual hostilities and class war.

"The population, depleted by the Black Death, did not recover."

This hasn't happened yet, but if 14th Century timelines continue to hold, permanent population depletion will happen (in the US) within 5 years and maybe 10 at the outside. It's already happened in the former Soviet Union.

"The war of England and France and the brigandage it spawned revealed the emptiness of chivalry's military pretensions and the falsity of its moral ones. The schism shook the foundations of the central institution, spreading a deep and pervasive uneasiness."

Already discussed somewhat above, and there does seem to be a deep and pervasive uneasiness.

"The oppressed were no longer enduring but rebelling, although, like the bourgeois who tried to compel reform, they were inadequate, unready, and unequipped for the task."

Already discussed somewhat above, and the Occupy Wall Street crowd, for example, clearly does seem inadequate, unready, and unequipped for the task of governance. If we are entering a Dark Age, it will be found that nobody can govern and part of the reason, I believe, is simply that the US as it exists is ungovernable. As mentioned before, I don't think any dictator in his right mind will want to take over the US and try to restore order because it can't be done. Also, see my definition above.

"They lived through a period which suffered and struggled without visible advance. They longed for remedy, for a revival of faith, for stability and order that never came."

I believe this in a nutshell is the future for the next several decades at least.

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 am
Higgenbotham wrote:I would expect the beginning phases of a descent into a Dark Age to be milder than if an actual cleansing and regenerative process were to occur instead. In a descent into a Dark Age, one way to look at it is we continue to borrow more from the future instead of stopping at some point and replenishing the future. That is what clearly continues to happen, as we can see. There are many symptoms of that, but an obvious one is the failure to have enough children to replenish the population and we see that across all of the Western societies with Japan taking the lead. As Peter Drucker has commented, this is unprecedented.

The fifth horseman of the apocalypse
By Spengler

The essay below appears as a preface to my book How Civilizations Die (and Why Islam is Dying, Too).

Population decline is the elephant in the world's living room. As a matter of arithmetic, we know that the social life of most developed countries will break down within two generations. Two out of three Italians and three of four Japanese will be elderly dependents by 2050. [1] If present fertility rates hold, the number of Germans will fall by 98% over the next two centuries. No pension and health care system can support such an inverted population pyramid. Nor is the problem limited to the industrial nations. Fertility is falling at even faster rates - indeed, at rates never before registered anywhere - in the Muslim world. The world's population will fall by as much as a fifth between the middle and the end of the 21st century, by far the worst decline in human history.
Population decline, the decisive issue of the 21st century, will cause violent upheavals in the world order. Countries facing fertility dearth, such as Iran, are responding with aggression. Nations confronting their own mortality may choose to go down in a blaze of glory. Conflicts may be prolonged beyond the point at which there is any rational hope of achieving strategic aims - until all who wish to fight to the death have taken the opportunity to do so
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Eco ... 3Dj05.html

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 am
Higgenbotham wrote:A permanent reduction in population over some time scale longer than, say, a saeculum seems to be characteristic of a Dark Age as opposed to a normal crisis period. Naturally, this is a case of arbitrarily defining something as opposed to something else and giving it a name.

So how could a scale of population reduction that is 10 times that of the prior saeculum occur? My thesis is that a Dark Age scale population reduction can only come about through large scale individual moral and institutional failure. This is harder to quantify, but my previous post describes what that looks like as opposed to typical crisis period failure.
"Spengler's" article linked above elaborates on the meaning of the above 2 paragraphs posted a few months back.

Within the past 45 years, rationalizations for furthering the death of culture and civilization have been encoded into the belief system of the Western nation-state. As "Spengler" points out, it is beyond fixing. It's no longer understood exactly what it is that perpetuates a culture and a civilization and what does not. Technological progress does not and "Spengler" adequately points out the disadvantages of emphasizing technological progress on the birthrate and the linkage of that to a descent into a Dark Age (he doesn't use that exact term but alludes to it) but, at the same time, civilizations that encroach on indigenous or technologically inferior cultures cannibalize the cultures that they come into contact with. There doesn't seem to be any way out of that trap.

The tipping point will be reached when there is nothing left to borrow from the future and nothing left on the periphery to cannibalize.

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 pm
aeden wrote:I think your dark ages theme points out some stark realities on ethics...
Back in late 2011 I posted:
My thesis is that a Dark Age scale population reduction can only come about through large scale individual moral and institutional failure.
I think it has to be, at its root, an ethics problem. There are a lot of commonalities to, let's say, the pervasive belief that it is acceptable for an institution not to be Triple A, not to have pristine credit. It's become acceptable, even considered preferable, not to be or exhibit pristine anything on both an individual and institutional level.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:11 pm
I think it has to be, at its root, an ethics problem. There are a lot of commonalities to, let's say, the pervasive belief that it is acceptable for an institution not to be Triple A, not to have pristine credit. It's become acceptable, even considered preferable, not to be or exhibit pristine anything on both an individual and institutional level.
Interesting analysis Higgie, and I wonder if you are not correct. Your comments brought Harry Reid's "Great Lie" about Mitt Romney to mind. It was the first time I saw an elected figure in a position of great power freely admit that lying to achieve a political goal was not just OK, but smart. Now, it's the norm. I've no doubt that some republicans practice this (notice I did not say "conservatives"), but for democrats it's now the modus operandi. That realization was at least one component in the democrats' (yes it was brilliant) play to steal the last election - loosen up the rules, knowing that their side was much more likely to cheat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... not-sorry/

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

It is interesting that Higgy said
This hasn't happened yet, but if 14th Century timelines continue to hold, permanent population depletion will happen (in the US) within 5 years and maybe 10 at the outside. It's already happened in the former Soviet Union.
In 2011. It is now 10 years later and the population depletion isn't anywhere close. It may pick up if the WEF continues its grand conspiracies with vaccines, plandemics, and the coming cyber polygon, but it's curious that we have yet another example of a decade prediction going nowhere.

By the way, the answer is that the country forgot God. When you think you can do everything on your own (the sin of Adam and Eve, yes, all humans if they are not careful and vigilant) you end up destroying yourself because your reality of something that is whole only with the Creator is gone.

That's why institutions break down, hard work is shunned, women try to be like men (of course unsuccessfully) and don't have babies, etc.

John

Post by John »

** 20-May-2021 World View: Israel and Hamas agree to an Egypt-sponsored ceasefire deal

• Damage to a home in Sderot on May 15 from a Gaza rockets (AFP)
Israel and Hamas have agreed to a "simultaneous and mutual ceasefire"
to take place at 2 am local time (7 pm ET). Egypt will send security
delegations to Tel Aviv and the Palestinian territories to "negotiate
measures to ensure the stability of the situation permanently."

The reports of the ceasefire talk only about the exchange of rockets
and missiles between Gaza and Israel. The reports are silent about
the clashes between Palestinians and Israeli settlers in the East
Jerusalem area. I assume that no ceasefire has yet been negotiated
for that.

The last 11 days of fighting have been a shock to both sides, much
worse than the seven weeks of fighting in 2014.

The people of Tel Aviv, described as "carefree" by the BBC, have now
had their confidence deeply shaken by the shower of rockets that
reached that city. In 2014, the Gaza rockets were not powerful enough
to reach Tel Aviv.

In Gaza, the damage was far worse than in 2014. One building after
another was knocked down by Israeli missiles, entire areas were
flattened, and thousands of people lost their homes. Israel claims
that it destroyed many Hamas tunnels, and killed several Hamas
military commanders. 4,300 rockets were launched from Gaza, and
Israel's Iron Dome knocked down 90% of them. The Iron Dome system was
developed jointly by the US and Israel.

The fact that the damage done in 11 days was much greater than the
damage done by the war in 2014. This may be the reason why both sides
were willing to agree to a ceasefire.

The ceasefire was not greeted approvingly by everyone in Israel. The
city of Sderot, in southern Israel, has been targeted by many Gaza
rockets over the years, and Mayor Alon Davidi is denouncing the
ceasefire, saying that Netanyahu is "not interested in defeating
Hamas."

Update: I just heard Biden announce the ceasefire agreement, and there
were two things of note. First, Biden said that the US will continue
to sell weapons systems to Israel, repudiating demands by AOC and the
loony left. Second, Biden emphasized that his main contact among the
Palestinians would be Mahmoud Abbas and the Palestinian Authority.
This is necessary because the US views Hamas as a terrorist
organization, and so has to contact it through the PA, but it also
serves to try to block Hamas's attempts to take over the PA.

----- Sources:

-- UPDATED: Egypt-sponsored ceasefire deal reached in Gaza
https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsConten ... -in-G.aspx
(Al Ahram, Cairo, 20-May-2021)

-- Middle East -- Israel and Hamas agree Gaza truce to end 11 days of
conflict
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 021-05-19/
(Reuters, 20-May-2021)

-- Israel, Hamas reach cease-fire to halt Gaza conflict
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/isra ... t-n1268004
(NBC, 20-May-2021)

-- Mayor of rocket-battered Sderot denounces ceasefire
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_ ... ceasefire/
(Times Of Israel, 20-May-2021)

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:11 pm
It is interesting that Higgy said
In 2011. It is now 10 years later and the population depletion isn't anywhere close. It may pick up if the WEF continues its grand conspiracies with vaccines, plandemics, and the coming cyber polygon, but it's curious that we have yet another example of a decade prediction going nowhere.

By the way, the answer is that the country forgot God. When you think you can do everything on your own (the sin of Adam and Eve, yes, all humans if they are not careful and vigilant) you end up destroying yourself because your reality of something that is whole only with the Creator is gone.

That's why institutions break down, hard work is shunned, women try to be like men (of course unsuccessfully) and don't have babies, etc.

Nobody seems to want to say it yet, but the preliminary numbers are showing that, in December 2020, the US population started to decline (nine months after covid). That's even taking immigration into account.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:11 pm
Interesting analysis Higgie, and I wonder if you are not correct. Your comments brought Harry Reid's "Great Lie" about Mitt Romney to mind. It was the first time I saw an elected figure in a position of great power freely admit that lying to achieve a political goal was not just OK, but smart. Now, it's the norm. I've no doubt that some republicans practice this (notice I did not say "conservatives"), but for democrats it's now the modus operandi. That realization was at least one component in the democrats' (yes it was brilliant) play to steal the last election - loosen up the rules, knowing that their side was much more likely to cheat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... not-sorry/

When I reposted that, my thought was that I need to be careful stating or implying that something is a cause. Armstrong said the cause is always political corruption. I'm not sure about that, but I think it would be accurate to say political corruption is at least a symptom. All of the things I mentioned are, I think, symptoms. It's a judgement call as to how meaningful it is when people like Reid cross lines that have never been crossed before. I posted something years ago: "I can't remember the exact quote, but in the 1930's the US Central Bank was quoted as saying to the effect that, "We did all we could to stop the deflation." Now I need to add to that, "We did all we could to stop the deflation within the moral precepts that confined activity at that time."" To me, what Reid did and what the Fed has done now versus the 1930s are both meaningful in that in both cases lines like those are being crossed that should not be crossed if our civilization is to be preserved intact. And the fact that Reid, the Fed, and many others, particularly others who have the power to change that, don't agree with me is, I believe, problematic.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:03 pm
Nobody seems to want to say it yet, but the preliminary numbers are showing that, in December 2020, the US population started to decline (nine months after covid). That's even taking immigration into account.
Are these the statistics you're referring to?

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... c5577af58c

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

DaKardii wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:33 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:

Yes, I haven't seen that particular article, but the preliminary birth data for December 2020, January 2021, and February 2021 make it likely that deaths exceeded births starting in December 2020. That's according to something else I read earlier this week that I wasn't able to find when I posted that.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Exclusive: Inside the Military's Secret Undercover Army
https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-insi ... my-1591881

Another source just in case you're unable to read the Newsweek article:
https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/pentagon- ... -of-60000/

Our government is run by criminals.

Post by Guest »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 pm
DaKardii wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:33 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:

Yes, I haven't seen that particular article, but the preliminary birth data for December 2020, January 2021, and February 2021 make it likely that deaths exceeded births starting in December 2020. That's according to something else I read earlier this week that I wasn't able to find when I posted that.
The EWet is breeding from the bottom. Never good.