Polyticks: Bob Butler's Perspective

An alternate home for the community from the legacy Fourth Turning Forum
John

Re: Polyticks: Bob Butler's Perspective

Post by John »

** 10-Oct-2021 World View: Baghdad Bob Butler
Guest wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:30 am
> Bobby Bish? Explain who this is, please.
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:45 pm
> It is one of my nicknames. Cool Breeze and John choose to respond
> with name calling rather than logic and facts.
That's a lie. I've never called you "Bob Bish." I prefer to refer to
you as "Baghdad Bob Butler," which is more accurate.

Bob Butler

Liar John

Post by Bob Butler »

John wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:32 pm
Guest wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:30 am
Bobby Bish? Explain who this is, please.
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:45 pm
It is one of my nicknames. Cool Breeze and John choose to respond with name calling rather than logic and facts.
That's a lie. I've never called you "Bob Bish." I prefer to refer to you as "Baghdad Bob Butler," which is more accurate.
It is still relying on name calling rather than logic or facts. As I have never been to Bagdad or spoken officially for a Bagdad regime, it is also a lie.
Last edited by Bob Butler on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Butler

Wolves and Lamb

Post by Bob Butler »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:10 pm
"two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch"
An example of the rights of the individual trumping the will of the majority, assuming wolves and lambs vote and have rights. at least under a Democracy. In an autocracy, the wolves would decide lambs do not have rights regardless of numbers.

At least by my definitions.

thomasglee

Re: Truth, Lies and Discernment.

Post by thomasglee »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:51 pm
thomasglee wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am
Truth and lies are often mixed together. Hence the need for discernment.
Plus each individual has his own worldview, his own perspective, thus his own criteria for whether something is true or not. For many, either something matches a particular worldview or is false. Fall into that trap and you cannot objectively judge.
There is only one truth.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

Bob Butler

Truth

Post by Bob Butler »

thomasglee wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:33 am
Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:51 pm
thomasglee wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am
Truth and lies are often mixed together. Hence the need for discernment.
Plus each individual has his own worldview, his own perspective, thus his own criteria for whether something is true or not. For many, either something matches a particular worldview or is false. Fall into that trap and you cannot objectively judge.
There is only one truth.
If you assume your worldview yields the only truth, if you don't bother to learn why the other guys believe in their own perspective, you cannot grow and learn. If you live by a scientific world view whose objective is to truthfully understand everyone's perspective, you learn to dance among many truths with ease. You might even get close to the real objective truth.

John

Re: Truth

Post by John »

** 11-Oct-2021 World View: Real objective truth

You're agreeing with Tom. He says that there's "only one truth." You
refer to the "real objective truth." Those are the same.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

John wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 am
You're agreeing with Tom. He says that there's "only one truth." You refer to the "real objective truth." Those are the same.
The attitude difference between being an extreme partisan and understanding any number of partisan positions is quite different. If you are seeking the alleged real objective truth, depending on how you view things, you end up in a different place.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Bob Butler wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:31 am
John wrote:
You're agreeing with Tom. He says that there's "only one truth." You refer to the "real objective truth." Those are the same.
The attitude difference between being an extreme partisan and understanding any number of partisan positions is quite different. If you are seeking the alleged real objective truth, depending on how you view things, you end up in a different place.
John's right, you're agreeing with me, yet trying to say you're not. It's laughable.

There is only one truth. You may believe your truth and I may believe my truth, but we might both be wrong and the truth is something else.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

thomasglee wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:31 am
John wrote:
John's right, you're agreeing with me, yet trying to say you're not. It's laughable.

There is only one truth. You may believe your truth and I may believe my truth, but we might both be wrong and the truth is something else.
There is a difference in attitude. Yes, there is one objective and final truth. But if you are partisan, you never look beyond the truth one has already found, one never learns and grows. If you care more about proving your partisan outlook correct than finding the truth, you do not learn or grow.

But I guess this is one of those ideas partisans block.

John

Re: Polyticks: Bob Butler's Perspective

Post by John »

What about if you're evil and fanatic, like you and Brower?