Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Navigator

Re: Wider Repercussions of Ukraine War

Post by Navigator »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:47 am
Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:59 pm
There are multiple serious implications and repercussions of what is going on in Ukraine.

I’ve already discussed the Russian need to replace incompetent leadership (and planners) with people who know what they are doing. War illuminates who is and who isn’t up to the task very brightly. I would imagine that we will learn of some “up and comers” in the Russian Army very soon.

In no particular order (other than which order they popped up in my head while writing), here are some of the other things that must be considered:

• Ukraine was hung out to dry by Europe/USA.
In the end, the Ukrainians are going to hate the West almost as much as the Russians because of this.
I'm sure Ukrainians aren't happy, but I think they also understand. Getting NATO involved runs the risk of nuclear missiles flying. They might bear a grudge, but they'd do the same.
First off , let me say that in overall general terms, I hope you are right about things. I would like to think that everything is covered, and that all of the current affairs are nothing but a major “tempest in the teapot”, and that our political, economic, and military affairs are well in hand.

However, I do doubt that, so let me go back through your thoughtful comments.

To this point, I guess it really doesn’t matter what Ukrainians think of us. The only problem would be if they turned around later and then stabbed us in the back, which is extremely remote.
• Europe has actually further denuded itself of defensive capabilities.

if Ukraine isn’t involved in a Russian aggression against NATO, like the Baltic States, there may not be enough anti-tank missiles to meet the new threat.

Of course, this is assuming the Russian Army can refit and resupply to engage in such activity.
Raytheon is going to make a lot of money. Stingers and Javelins aren't that complex to make so manufacturing isn't a big problem. The question is how quickly will orders be placed. Putin has been a gold mine for defense manufacturers and this latest invasion has been even the most reluctant countries wake up and start spending. Even Germany will be making its 2% pledge.
You are right, the problem how quickly orders will actually be placed, and if companies like Raytheon have the manufacturing ramp up capability.

My guess is that militaries will try to budget to replace the used munitions over 5-10 years. This is because ammunition is VERY low on budget priorities. I have even seen conservative politicians say that the US has too much ammunition, and that is an area where they believe cost cutting could be done.

Still, this is a short-term problem. Remains to be seen if the bad guys could take advantage of it.
• The Biden Administration has proven itself “War Averse”.
What this means is that China has a pretty good idea that if it invades Taiwan, who does not have a defense treaty with the USA, the USA will not get involved.
Taiwan has a kind of treaty and it is almost vital for Western economies. Japan has already at least implied that it would fight to defend Taiwan and I suspect South Korea feels the same. Taiwan and Ukraine are in different categories plus it would be much more difficult to invade Taiwan.
Ukraine had a “kind of treaty” when the USA guaranteed its security in return for giving its nuclear weapons (which it had as a result of the USSR breakup) to Russia. It also had additional worthless guarantees after Russia grabbed the Crimea.

My point is that a “weaselly” anti-war administration is going to try very hard to find an excuse to not engage, especially if it means conflict with a nuclear power.

Yes, Taiwan is much more vital to the Western economy than the Ukraine, but I don’t think this argument will make the “anti-war” crowd change their mind about actively engaging.

Yes, the Japanese have stated their intention to come to Taiwan’s aid, the South Koreans have not, but this will probably change with the new SK President. This could then lead to the eventual entanglements that bring the US in if China invades Taiwan, it just may be too late at that point to do something significant about it.

• The sanction on Russia will have economic consequences for the world.
European banks are the most exposed (natch) so they likely will get some nice handouts from the EU. Russia can nationalize assets, but that doesn't mean they will get any use out them. For instance, a bill was passed allowing the expropriation of leased airliners but the lack of parts and maintenance will ground them within a year or so. And doing so will have long term effects like never being able to lease planes again. There may be a limit to the Pyrrhic actions that are taken.

Oil is fungible and someone is going to buy it. If China gets a discount it will buy that and then not buy from Gulf states. Or someone else will.

Fertilizer may be a problem for a year or so, but Russian/Belarusian percentage has been more an issue of them having the capacity so why build more? Wheat will be an issue for this year but a shortage will lead the changes in planting. The US has plenty of capacity to go more; getting rid of the ethanol mandate would free up oodles of land.

I don't think we're going to see a bubble burst. Stock markets are the only place you can make any investing money. It's more likely that it will be more difficult to fight inflation since central banks won't want to jack up interest rates right now.
Again, I hope you are right, but we are in a SIGNIFICANT economic bubble. There is little to nothing holding up the world economic order, which is based on unimaginable and unsupportable levels of debt. Once debt starts to be called in, it will start a cascade failure of economic implosion.

Of course governments will act to bail out whoever is losing money. We have been doing this for decades. So why won’t it work in perpetuity? Because it never has. Every bubble bursts.

Regarding fertilizer, how long does it take to increase capacity? Probably a couple of years. Wheat shortages will happen this year. Good luck with the politics of ending the ethanol mandate, unless we are in WW3, that isn’t going to happen.

In the meantime, there is going to be a massive food shortage, and that will lead to famines and other problems.
Yes, it has been arranged, thanks to idiotic Fed Policies required by massive government borrowing, that the only place you can “make money” is in the stock market. Luckily, the stock market has never ever gone down dramatically {sarcasm obviously}. P/E ratios are beyond unrealistic and I think everyone can agree that the market has changed from fundamental investing to rampant speculation. This too has a history of turning out quite badly.

• The economic downturn would probably have military repercussions.

The Chinese will blame the USA. This will greatly increase the chance of war.

The Russians will blame the USA/Europe, and economic hardship could trigger the “Mortal Threat to Mother Russia” bit, and cause them to want real revenge on NATO.

The US will focus on domestic issues rather than the gathering war clouds in the leadup to war. Chief among these are the concerns about Global Warming. Right now we need to be gearing up domestic production of every important resource and product that we might need in time of war. Instead, we continue to follow these asinine green policies that probably originated in (and are certainly heavily financially supported by) China in the first place.
China will blame the US because it's convenient. The chance of war will increase only if the situation seems to benefit China more that the US.

Russia blames the US for being powerful while Russia is not. Taking revenge on NATO? The West has been pretty united so Russia really doesn't have a wedge issue. NATO is also much stronger that Russia militarily. It's hard to conceal that after the poor performance we've seen in Ukraine.

I suspect we're going to see big changes in Congress this fall. Most likely Republicans will take the House and possibly the Senate. That will put great limits on what the Biden administration can do. I suspect the US will start to follow Europe in realizing that energy stability is more important than green virtue signalling.
[/quote]

In the case of a severe economic downturn, the Chinese will do more than just verbally “blame” the US for its problems. It will need a way to distract their population from their economic troubles and focus them on something else. War is the best way to quickly unify people, quash opposition, and put the idea into their head of “taking it out on the people that caused this”.

In regards to Russia, Putin has to pin the blame on what has happened on someone other than himself and the Russian military. I think his best option is to blame NATO, which includes US (so I wasn’t thinking of a wedge issue).

Russia will need to really get into the rearmament and mobilization business to act on this. And I think that is where this will head. You can say that he doesn’t have the money to do this. I would counter that he can do a national mobilization, where everyone’s time and resources are the dictator’s to command. This is what Stalin did, and what Putin would have to revert to in order to pull this off. He is certainly capable of attempting to do so.

NATO’s strength is almost entirely in its airpower. If Russia decides to attack Western Europe, tactical nukes against the airbases could be a viable option. On the ground, Russia has to make obviously make VERY significant changes. And replace equipment. Again, a national mobilization would be required.

I too believe the Republicans will make huge gains in congress this fall. That is one reason why I think the Russians, and later the Chinese, are moving this year.

And I am sure that once war actually breaks out, the green policies will go away. It will just be that we lost a lot of time and opportunity to increase defenses and domestic production before that happens.

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Guest »

— Great Britain banned the export of luxury goods to Russia, introducing an additional 35% tariffs on the import of a number of goods, stops financing all exports to Russia and Belarus

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

DaKardii wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm
Cool Breeze wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:26 pm
DaKardii wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:23 pm
Shit is about to hit the fan...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arab ... 1647351541
We tried to tell you guys. But no, you gotta listen to the narrative and Biden/Pelosi/Witch Woman
"We?"

I was the one warning people here about the petrodollar. And you were THE biggest voice against that warning on this site. And now you want to take credit?

Unless I'm misunderstanding that reply. Am I?
You get credit, but I still maintain my stance that the petro issue is not as important as you think it is, since it is only 7% of world GDP. The movement of in general forgetting or abandoning the USD as world reserve is the larger issue, and that has to do with profligacy of the pols/US gov etc, but yes also somewhat to do with the oil issues, indeed.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Guest wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:58 pm
I don't see people in Europe or North America or even places like Japan using a petro yuan currency. China is going the way of North Korea. The Chinese are losing factories and the products they make for domestic consumption are substandard, crap really. The US dollar is valuable everywhere you go; the yuan is not.

I see manufacturing returning to the US, even it it may end up being heavily automated.

I don't see the Saudis dumping the US dollar or British pound because the Saudis like London and New York, even LA, not toxic Beijing or Moscow. The oil states love Western luxury and (believe it or not) the western lifestyle. I've seen Saudi princes partying in Paris with my own eyes. They will not replace Paris or London with Changchun or even Shanghai. The rich Arabs shop at Chanel and Asprey, not Walmart. The Saudi Crown prince is an a-h, and everyone knows it. Is he going to use his Yuan to buy houses in Mayfair and Rolls Royce's? Saudi Arabia is ruled by a jaded and corrupt family. They like Western luxuries. MB is playing games, but he will lose.

Another point: China and Russia are unreliable and even dangerous friends. Would you trust your them to deal honestly with you and come to your defense? China and Russia will steal as much as they can. Any deal one makes with Russians and Chinese becomes worse by the day.

A new Cold War has began. I don't think the oil states want to end up behind the Iron Curtain. I don't.

What products are they going to buy with Yuan? Russian pharmaceuticals? Russian cars? Russian fashion brands? Russian products are low quality. Why are the Russians that can afford to leave leaving? They don't want to live like Soviet peasants.

The West has Rule of Law, Russia and China rule from the barrel of a gun. Why do the oligarch's (and Putin) keep most of their money in Western banks?

I think nuclear power is about to make a huge comeback...
I liked this post. While I don't agree with all of it, the only thing you totally whiff on is what I bolded. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of just how irreverent "western powers" are to the rule of law, there basically is none at this point, either. The West has degraded judges barely hanging on, has authoritarian leaders apparently you guys never talk about (Trudeau among others that care nothing for the law) and once the money runs out (also a lot is their fault for lack of ruling with the actual law) no one will pay them mind anyway.

Still, at least we can work with this type of guest posting, it was quite good.

Cool Breeze

Re: Wider Repercussions of Ukraine War

Post by Cool Breeze »

Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:59 pm
There are multiple serious implications and repercussions of what is going on in Ukraine.

I’ve already discussed the Russian need to replace incompetent leadership (and planners) with people who know what they are doing. War illuminates who is and who isn’t up to the task very brightly. I would imagine that we will learn of some “up and comers” in the Russian Army very soon.

In no particular order (other than which order they popped up in my head while writing), here are some of the other things that must be considered:

• Ukraine was hung out to dry by Europe/USA. Nobody really came to their defense. Sure, we provided them with anti-tank and anti-air weapons, but NOBODY sent troops or did combat air patrols or anything like that.

The West, at this point, I think smugly thinks that they have completely contained the war, and that it won’t spill over into a wider conflict (except maybe the addition of Belarus, which is expected). So people in Europe can get on with their lives of consumption and worry about what the real threat is in their mind, Global Warming.

This has made Ukrainians quite mad. They don’t say this because they need the weapons and any kind of support they can get while the shooting is going on, but they are seriously upset (and rightly so) that they are carrying the ENTIRE burden of Russian aggression.

In the end, the Ukrainians are going to hate the West almost as much as the Russians because of this.

• Europe has actually further denuded itself of defensive capabilities. I would gather that the majority (if not overwhelming majority) of anti-tank weapons in Europe/NATO have been sent to the Ukraine. I would guess like a decade’s worth of military/industrial production.

When the Ukraine War ends, the Ukrainians are not going to ship the remaining stocks back to NATO. And if Ukraine isn’t involved in a Russian aggression against NATO, like the Baltic States, there may not be enough anti-tank missiles to meet the new threat.

Of course, this is assuming the Russian Army can refit and resupply to engage in such activity.

• The Biden Administration has proven itself “War Averse”. While this sounds like a good thing (wars are bad), it isn’t if it means abandoning liberty and those that enjoy it (wars to defend liberty are needed if liberty is to be maintained).

What this means is that China has a pretty good idea that if it invades Taiwan, who does not have a defense treaty with the USA, the USA will not get involved.

We have telegraphed this to China for decades, as we have “unrecognized” Taiwan as a nation, were OK with giving the CCP the China seat in the UN (with its veto on action), and are too worried about our current economic ties with China to abandon them.

In the case of China, I can’t even see the Biden administration putting meaningful economic sanctions on the Chinese in case of an invasion of Taiwan. We would probably act like the Germans do now regarding Ukraine. Say we are against them, and then attempt to continue “business as usual”.

It would probably eventually get so messy in Asia that the US would eventually get sucked in anyway, but not until after the best military opportunities are lost.

• The sanction on Russia will have economic consequences for the world.

The world economy is currently hanging on by a thread. The sanctions make it very likely that the Russians will default on their debts. This could cause the collapse of some banks (which could start a chain reaction).

Russia will also probably nationalize the assets of foreign companies. They will eventually stop sending natural gas to Europe.

The Russian Oil is probably not coming back to the market for the US or Europe, and the increased gas prices will start to have more and more second and third order economic effects.

Russian and Belarus fertilizers will not be available for the foreseeable future, and will cause a huge increase in food production costs. Ukraine will not be exporting wheat for a while, and this will cause both food shortages (probably famines) and also add to increases in food costs.

All of this could lead to the final bursting of the current economic bubble. As in major stock markets tanking, financial institutions failing, and even defaults on national debts.

• The economic downturn would probably have military repercussions.

The Chinese will blame the USA. This will greatly increase the chance of war.

The Russians will blame the USA/Europe, and economic hardship could trigger the “Mortal Threat to Mother Russia” bit, and cause them to want real revenge on NATO.

The US will focus on domestic issues rather than the gathering war clouds in the leadup to war. Chief among these are the concerns about Global Warming. Right now we need to be gearing up domestic production of every important resource and product that we might need in time of war. Instead, we continue to follow these asinine green policies that probably originated in (and are certainly heavily financially supported by) China in the first place.
Finally! A spot on post. You nailed it here, Navigator.

Man I was beginning to worry that most of you all had lost your noodles completely.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

March 16, 2022
Why Russia Invaded Ukraine
By John Horvat II
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... raine.html
There is a method to this madness. One final result of the Ukraine war will be this permanent division between East and West. It will signal the failure of the post-Cold War experiment that was supposed to signal the end of history. A major geopolitical realignment will take place that could have dramatic consequences and lead to world war.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

John

Post by John »

** 16-Mar-2022 World View: Navigator's analysis
Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:51 pm
> Russia has always had trouble with war UNTIL there is a
> psychological trigger for them. I would call this the "Mortal
> Threat to Mother Russia". Until this is triggered, the Russian
> Army in its history, has been pretty poor. But once this is
> triggered, they become a different animal. So far, this has only
> happened 3 times, the war with Sweden in the 1700s (Poltava being
> the culmination), Napoleon, and then Hitler's invasions. Once this
> happens, the Russian military, and people, react quite
> differently, as Napoleon and Hitler learned.
Thank you for this analysis. I'd like to build on it.

The interesting thing about the three wars you mention is that they
were all non-crisis (Awakening Era) wars for Russia, fought in
conjunction with a crisis war for Europe (War of the Spanish
Succession / Great Northern War, French Revolution / Napoleon's
invasion, WW II / Hitler's invasion).

As you point out, they all follow the same pattern: the Russians are
incompetent with a foreign invader, but they win in the end -- often
because the invader can't tolerate the cold Russian winter -- when the
war becomes an existential crisis for Russia.

Russia's crisis wars for the last few centuries were internal
rebellions -- the Razin's peasant rebellion in the 1600s, Pugachev's
Rebellion in the 1770s, the Crimean War in the 1850s, and the
Bolshevik Revolution in the 1910s.

In other words, Russia has never had a successful expeditionary crisis
war. And let's not forget the the Mongols conquered Russia in 1206
and imposed the hated "Mongol Yoke" that lasted two centuries.

So when you say that the Russian army only becomes competent when it
is "triggered" by an existential threat to Russia, I would say exactly
the same thing in a different way: The Russian army is only competent
inside RussiA, and incompetent outside Russia. In other words, the
Russians don't have the skills to fight an expeditionary war.

I would contrast this sharply to the American experience. England has
had centuries of experience with expeditionary wars, and we inherited
those skills. We built on those skills since WW II with the Korean,
Vietnam, Iraq and Afghan wars. All of these wars have been
politically controversial, but one thing they unequivocally
accomplished was giving the American army the skills to fight an
expeditionary war.

**** China

The incompetence of China may be worse than Russia's. At least the
Russians could defend themselves internally. I think it's amazing
that nobody ever points out how incompetent the Chinese are at
governing themselves. The Mongols conquered China, and the Manchus
conquered China and governed it from 1600 to 1912.

I sometimes joke that it's not true that China signed "unfair
treaties" in the 1800s, since China didn't even exist in the 1800s.
The country could be called "Greater Manchuria," and it was the
Manchus who signed the "unfair treaties."

Since 1912, China's self-governance has been one disaster after
another. First, there's the civil war that lasted for decades until
1949, in the middle of which the US had to save China from Japan.
Then there were the twin disasters of Mao's Great Leap Forward and the
Great Cultural Revolution.

Deng Xiaoping tried to fix China with his "Reform and Opening Up" of
China, but Xi Jinping has completely destroyed those attempts, and is
now desperately facing one crisis after another, and wondering how he
and the CCP are going to survive.

As I've written before, the Ukraine invasion has completely destroyed
China's fantasy delusion of world domination in 5-10 years, and has
even called the invasion of Taiwan into question. I still think it's
possible that the Chinese Communists will choose first to invade
Russia's Far East and Sevastopol, since that will be an easier
conquest than Taiwan, given that the entire Russian army is now in
Ukraine.

**** Warplanes, nuclear missiles and WMDs

Russia and China are aware that they can't fight the West as a
traditional expeditionary war, and so they'll have to resort to
warplanes, nuclear missiles and WMDs.

We've already seen one version of this in Syria. Bashar al-Assad was
losing that war in 2015, so he called in troops from Iran and
warplanes from Russia. Russia resorted to massive bombing combined
with chlorine, phosphorus, and Sarin gas, turning Aleppo and other
cities into rubble.

(It's interesting that Russia is drafting 16,000 Syrians as
"volunteers" to fight in Ukraine. Syria is in a generational
Awakening/Unraveling era, so the Syrian Alawites have no desire to
fight at all, let alone in Ukraine.)

So we can expect to see the same Russian playbook in Ukraine. The
incompetent Russian army has so far failed to taken any large city --
Kharkiv, Mariupol, Kiev. Many people are fearful that Putin will turn
these cities to rubble when he gets desperate enough. Bombing Kiev
will be a PR disaster because of all the Churches and historical
monuments.

**** Eastern Europe

I just want to mention a brief comment I heard from an analyst: The
statement is that America and the Western Europeans do not understand
any of the east European countries, and that the east European
countries view the Ukraine war very differently than the Western
countries.

Unfortunately, there was no further discussion, and I didn't make a
note of who said it. But there may be an issue here that needs
exploring.

Post by Guest »

Do you not see what is going on? Do you honestly believe that all the “America hating” protesters are suddenly now “America loving” freedom fighters? It’s not a rebirth. First, they didn’t let a good pandemic go to waste to exert their authority. Now they are taking advantage of a country being invaded to pull the wooly over your eyes. This whole Ukraine situation is a diversion to the problems (crime, food and goods shortages, inflation, Chinese/border entry fentanyl, etc.) here in the US. Ignoring these problems will only make them worse. When they get worse, there will be chaos. When chaos erupts, Martial Law will be declared. Martial Law will allow the powers in charge to declare that there will not be an election in November (because they know they will lose this election). No election means they will have complete power. Period. Stop. It all ends there.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Six takeaways from Zelensky's address to Congress and Biden's response
Kevin Liptak-Profile-Image
By Kevin Liptak, CNN
Updated 1:56 PM ET, Wed March 16, 2022
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/politics ... index.html

OnPolitics: The president announces additional aid to Ukraine
Amy Nakamura
Chelsey Cox
USA TODAY
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 066288001/

World War III 'may have already started' with Russian invasion, Zelenskyy says
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/worl ... -rcna19967

March 16, 2022 10:23am EDT
Ukraine's Zelenskyy addresses Congress, invokes 9/11, Pearl Harbor, MLK as he pleads for pivotal aid
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/zelens ... russia-war

San Diegans react to Ukrainian President Zelenskyy's speech to Congress
6,924 viewsMar 16, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5VDdsQ84J0

Opinion: Zelenskyy is the leader of the free world now
Brian Dickerson
Detroit Free Press
https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/col ... 059665001/

Zelensky has called — will Biden listen?
By Post Editorial Board
March 16, 2022 1:27pm
https://nypost.com/2022/03/16/zelensky- ... en-listen/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:21 am
Guest wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:58 pm
I don't see people in Europe or North America or even places like Japan using a petro yuan currency. China is going the way of North Korea. The Chinese are losing factories and the products they make for domestic consumption are substandard, crap really. The US dollar is valuable everywhere you go; the yuan is not.
The problem is that China manipulates its currency for political purposes. Accepting market rick is one thing but political risk is something else. You're correct, dollars are accepted anywhere.
I see manufacturing returning to the US, even it it may end up being heavily automated.
It may be more that high value manufacturing (which didn't move overseas as much) returns. Low value plastic stuff is more sensitive to labor costs, though China isn't a cheap manufacturing country anymore. Labor shortages are getting real.
I don't see the Saudis dumping the US dollar or British pound because the Saudis like London and New York, even LA, not toxic Beijing or Moscow. The oil states love Western luxury and (believe it or not) the western lifestyle. I've seen Saudi princes partying in Paris with my own eyes. They will not replace Paris or London with Changchun or even Shanghai. The rich Arabs shop at Chanel and Asprey, not Walmart. The Saudi Crown prince is an a-h, and everyone knows it. Is he going to use his Yuan to buy houses in Mayfair and Rolls Royce's? Saudi Arabia is ruled by a jaded and corrupt family. They like Western luxuries. MB is playing games, but he will lose.
I don't think the Arab countries are playing games, they're sending messages. Biden has been playing footsie with Iran again and the Arab states are showing their displeasure. Unfortunately Biden and the morons around him have political reasons for the things they do and tend to ignore the real world consequences.
Another point: China and Russia are unreliable and even dangerous friends. Would you trust your them to deal honestly with you and come to your defense? China and Russia will steal as much as they can. Any deal one makes with Russians and Chinese becomes worse by the day.
I keep trying to point this out to Indians who seem to think they have some kind of obligation to support Russia. Yes, India was stupid enough to buy goat loads of Russian weapons, but there has to come a time to realize that you're at the bottom of a hole and to stop digging. As we've seen, Russian weapons aren't even that good.
A new Cold War has began. I don't think the oil states want to end up behind the Iron Curtain. I don't.

What products are they going to buy with Yuan? Russian pharmaceuticals? Russian cars? Russian fashion brands? Russian products are low quality. Why are the Russians that can afford to leave leaving? They don't want to live like Soviet peasants.

The West has Rule of Law, Russia and China rule from the barrel of a gun. Why do the oligarch's (and Putin) keep most of their money in Western banks?

I think nuclear power is about to make a huge comeback...
More succinctly, if you want to buy stuff or sell stuff, you'll have to choose one side or the other. The Western nations may not allow others to sit on the fence anymore.
Some valid points but old world thinking. You’re both overlooking the emergence of digital currencies.

I agree wholeheartedly that Russia should not trust China. Russia thinks China will be a consumer of oil and gas from Russia. However at some point China will try to just take that oil and gas by force - either economic or physical. However that’s a loner term play. I believe Xi and Putin both are basing their strategies in short terms gains.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”