5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy / Philippines harassed by 'cabbage strategy'

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy / Philippines harassed by 'cabbage strategy'

Post by John »

5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy

Philippine fishermen harassed by China's 'cabbage strategy'

** 5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e150505

Contents:
China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy
Philippine fishermen harassed by China's 'cabbage strategy'

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, People's Liberation Army (Navy), PLA(N),
YJ-18, DF-21D, Philippines, Zhang Zhaozhong,
South China Sea, Scarborough Shoal

Trevor

Re: 5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy / Philippines harassed by 'cabbage strat

Post by Trevor »

What I always wondered back when I was in school was how other nations could have been so blind to Germany and Japan's intentions, that they refused to do anything even when it was obvious that they were preparing for war. I must be getting wiser over time, because I understand it now, and this time, we're likely to pay an even higher price for it.

Our defense system can probably take down 80-85% of their missiles. The problem is that if they launch 1,000, which is quite possible, that still means that 150 of them are going to end up hitting our naval vessels. I hope at least some people in the military are thinking about this, and what China's preparations mean.

vincecate

Re: 5-May-15 World View -- China builds Navy designed to overwhelm the US Navy / Philippines harassed by 'cabbage strat

Post by vincecate »

John wrote:The heart of China's current buildup in the PLA(N) (People's Liberation Army (Navy)) is the YJ-18 supersonic anti-ship cruise missile, with a maximum range of 111 miles at a speed of Mach .08 and a higher speed range of 24 miles.
Typeo. You meant Mach 0.8.

"After the missile is ejected from the VLS, the missile's turbojet engine propels the missile at Mach 0.8 for 180 kilometers, after which the turbojet separates and the rocket booster is ignited, allowing the missile to fly at Mach 2.5-3.0 for 40 kilometers; "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YJ-12#YJ-18

China first flew a supersonic missile in 1999. They have a normal heat signal on cruise and a big one when the rocket is going. I would say there is a good chance that the USA has something so that something in the air sees them coming and tells guns on the ships which way to send lots of lead. It might be they can stop these by now. Or at least small numbers. Of course if you fired 20 of these at an aircraft carrier so they all got there at the same time, there would not be much time for guns to hit all of them.

John

Post by John »

Thanks for the correction.

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

Meanwhile, high power laser technology has come a long way and is continuing to develop. The Navy is also looking into disposable, small, drones for swarming attacks--though I doubt cruise missile would be the intended targets. There is asymetry warfare on both sides.

John

Post by John »

Trevor wrote: > What I always wondered back when I was in school was how other
> nations could have been so blind to Germany and Japan's
> intentions, that they refused to do anything even when it was
> obvious that they were preparing for war. I must be getting wiser
> over time, because I understand it now, and this time, we're
> likely to pay an even higher price for it.
I'm beginning to understand that this kind of thing happens
frequently throughout history.

I've starting looking at the story of Ezekiel, who is one of the
prophets in the Bible. He predicted things that were not believed,
and then he had to watch as the disasters he predicted came true.

The interesting thing is that you'd normally have to be religious to
believe the Biblical story, but from what I've seen so far, Ezekiel's
story is quite believable from a secular point of view. Ezekiel's
experience is the same as Cassandra's, Churchill's ......... and mine.

wander

Post by wander »

I believe China would open the battle with shooting down or otherwise disabling GPS satellites first in order to hinder US capability, as well as some SCADA/utility hacks or attacks against US infrastructure. This would likely be the opening salvo to get the US fleet in position for a high volume missile attack.

It's also highly probably that there is a good deal of zero day code in every day items "internet of things" that are listening for some command from China to cause them to shut down or be disabled.

I also think it's a mistake to call them stupid - arrogant maybe, but not stupid. The Chinese have been infiltrating the US by multiple avenues for 25+ years. All of the US goods that households depend on are made in China. There have been record land purchases in US, and many US based corporations have a good deal of assets in China that would be seized without notice.

John

Post by John »

It's possible for someone to be brilliant in one respect,
and incredibly stupid in other respects.

gerald

Post by gerald »

John wrote:
Trevor wrote: > What I always wondered back when I was in school was how other
> nations could have been so blind to Germany and Japan's
> intentions, that they refused to do anything even when it was
> obvious that they were preparing for war. I must be getting wiser
> over time, because I understand it now, and this time, we're
> likely to pay an even higher price for it.
I'm beginning to understand that this kind of thing happens
frequently throughout history.

I've starting looking at the story of Ezekiel, who is one of the
prophets in the Bible. He predicted things that were not believed,
and then he had to watch as the disasters he predicted came true.

The interesting thing is that you'd normally have to be religious to
believe the Biblical story, but from what I've seen so far, Ezekiel's
story is quite believable from a secular point of view. Ezekiel's
experience is the same as Cassandra's, Churchill's ......... and mine.
John -- disasters and end times -- a comment from -- California Adopts "Unprecedented" Restrictions On Water Use As Drought Worsens
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-0 ... ht-worsens

Wed, 05/06/2015 - 08:12 | 6064994Oh regional Indian
Oh regional Indian's picture
I was told in 1995 before I was leaving for the US that California is actually Kali-Fornia and that it has long been predicted that it's disappearence in to the pacific will mark the beginning of the end of the Age of Kali.

I ended up living in Cali for 8 years. It is a fake green desert in so many places that water was bound to run out.

The entire central valley farming boom was based on near ZERO local water, all canals.

I used to visit UC Davis (friends) which is big on Agri and all around it was a dust bowl. Hot dust bowl.

So, Kali-Purna (Incidentally Purna in Sanskrit means Ended, or finished)...

There ya go...

New today, Sequence 15, Tabla (Indian Drums)...something different :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJU_flXZMuk
------------------------------------------------------------------

The coming end of the "Age of Iron"? According to the cycles described in Hinduism? -- Hinduism has no founders only ancient texts and supposedly some scholars say goes back at least 24,000 years. That would place it in the Pleistocene Epoch, we are currently in the Holocene ( started about 11,700 years ago ) about the time of the end of the supposed Atlantian civilization. --- The Pleistocene was a long epoch, if the Holocene were to end shortly it would be a short epoch, which would correspond ( time wise ) to the age of Kali ( age of Iron ) being the shortest of the Hindu ages.
Interesting.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
When reading religious or ancient texts one must be aware of the translation issue. such as translations of translations ( misinterpretations ) and lack of words to describe an idea or thing ( for example, some Arab languages do not have a word for snow ). Therefore when reading such works sometimes one has to ask ones self What are they trying to describe?

cheers

Antwerp

Post by Antwerp »

Are the Chinese stupid? Were the Nazis and Hitler stupid? In any case the Germans made incredible good use of the technologies of their time and their armed forces were much better organized than those of their enemies. See Martin van Creveld: Fighting Power: German and US Army performance, 1939-1945, Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1982
In May 1940 the Germans defeated France and Britain at the western front within days. All those impressive, sophisticated great forts in France and Belgium were bypassed with an "impossible" attack or conquered by "impossible" attacks from special forces. Yes, Hitler was stupid and arrogant in ordering the German troops to stop at Dunkirk. Without this stupidity, Britain would have lost almost all of its soldiers. WW2 might have ended very differently in that case.
At the eastern front the Germans too were not that stupid, but rather very impressive.
What made WW2 and the Nazis a prelude of the 21th century was:
  • The Germans thought they had to fight a resource war. They though they were short of land, oil, ores and other resources. See William Catton: Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change In fact the Nazis were right in the long run, although after WW2 the abundance of cheap fossil fuels gave mankind, and the Germans, for some decades the illusion that there are enough resources and no reasons for big wars
  • The Nazis made innovative and surprising use of the latest technologies of their time.
In WW3 the impression of resource scarcity my be the main driver leading to war, while innovative use of the latest technologies may pave the way to new kinds of "Blitz-wars" and swift victories.

Much more important than new weapons for the the Chinese Navy may become the still further growing vulnerability of the western industrial nations electrical and electronic infrastructure. The novels One Second Afterfrom William F. Forstchen and SS18: The Satan Lecacy from Patrick Lowrie as well as the report of the emp-comission and Rohan Nation: Reinventing America After the 2020 Collapse from Drew Miller, are some good readings to get an idea of how the Western Nations can be crippled and wiped out.
By the way, I think that Putin's real objective in the Ukraine an Crimean Crisis is to ass-kick those peace drunken, irresponsible European's awake, so that they rearm themselves and prepare for war. If Putin succeeds in motivating the Europeans to prepare for a war with Russia, he will succeed by this in preparing the Europeans at least a little bit to become more helpful allies for Russia in WW3. One may call Putin's strategy "leading Europe from behind".