Race and Racism

As requested, this sub-forum is for partying, fun, gossip, conundrums, flirting, comedy, tragedy, or whatever.
Millenial83

Re: Race and Racism

Post by Millenial83 »

Because John is terrified of where the Crisis is heading he moves comments so he can hide like the Boomer Bitch he is.

Millenial83

Post by Millenial83 »

hy do you keep moving comments you have no logical reply to just because they make you uncomfortable?

Millenial83

Post by Millenial83 »

John wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 am
** 01-Jul-2020 World View: Civil war

For years, I've been receiving questions about an approaching Second
American Civil War.

Mostly, these have been Republican vs Democrat civil war fantasies.

Lately, they have been black uprising civil war fantasies.

None of that is going to happen. It's pure fantasy.

What we are seeing is increases in left-wing violence -- urban riots,
tearing down statues, etc. As far as I can tell, these anarchists are
mostly privileged white Democrats. But there is no civil war on the
horizon.

In the last few days, some posts have been edging in the direction of
racism. Please don't make me remove posts, since I REALLY hate doing
that.
"Really HATE doing that" OK John then why don't you discuss the obvious differences in human races drving so many current issues is the US instead of sending these posts off to a sub forum no one sees? Or right because for all your smarts to see the patterns of generational cycles your still a dumb boomer who thinks races are "equal" and our only difference is skin color.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

John's a greek

beyond that, he's no dummy - I don't think he denies the realities of biology

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

There is a difference between a culture and a race. I guess the major example is the ghetto culture. If you believe if you are going to get ahead, you have to become a sports star, a drug pusher, or a mother, you get stuck in a rut. And yet, with people not hiring minorities that display that culture, there is enough truth in it. You cannot understand urban problems without understanding the urban culture.

But race is not culture. If you grew up in a region where the self defeating beliefs are not obvious, you are likely to grow up without the ghetto culture. My career was software development for the military. I worked with people who have an engineer’s or military perspective. Assume ghetto culture and you are way off. The minorities if they had once been tainted with it had long since had it overwhelmed by other experience.

So you have to know ghetto culture exists, and that you have to deal with it to deal with urban problems, but you cannot assume that all people with a given skin tone fit one particular pattern.

I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Millenial83 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 am
hy do you keep moving comments you have no logical reply to just because they make you uncomfortable?
Gee. And I thought it was just me. :)

pbrower2a1

Post by pbrower2a1 »

Bob Butler wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am
There is a difference between a culture and a race. I guess the major example is the ghetto culture. If you believe if you are going to get ahead, you have to become a sports star, a drug pusher, or a mother, you get stuck in a rut. And yet, with people not hiring minorities that display that culture, there is enough truth in it. You cannot understand urban problems without understanding the urban culture.
Sports stars are usually winners -- if they don't mess up. But that is a high-reward, low-likelihood career choice. Getting away from the ghetto is itself a rebellion from the ghetto. ("Ghetto" obviously does not mean "black"; there are lily-white areas such as much of Appalachia in which the housing isn't crowded. If a self-destructive way of life is so entrenched in a place that one must rebel against it to escape it, then that area has problems).
But race is not culture. If you grew up in a region where the self defeating beliefs are not obvious, you are likely to grow up without the ghetto culture. My career was software development for the military. I worked with people who have an engineer’s or military perspective. Assume ghetto culture and you are way off. The minorities if they had once been tainted with it had long since had it overwhelmed by other experience.
Having steady work with a middle income is non-ghetto. Getting a solid education is non-ghetto. Getting people in a ghetto to give up ways that consign them to failure is non-ghetto... and heroic.
So you have to know ghetto culture exists, and that you have to deal with it to deal with urban problems, but you cannot assume that all people with a given skin tone fit one particular pattern.
Most of us know examples. Speaking proper English, refusing to use profanity except under stress, having good work habits... maybe we are surprised at times, but then some people defy stereotypes.
I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.
But England has its ways, and people adapt or fail. So it is if one is from some dying city in Ohio.

ironclark

Post by ironclark »

pbrower2a1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am
Sports stars are usually winners -- if they don't mess up. But that is a high-reward, low-likelihood career choice. Getting away from the ghetto is itself a rebellion from the ghetto. ("Ghetto" obviously does not mean "black"; there are lily-white areas such as much of Appalachia in which the housing isn't crowded. If a self-destructive way of life is so entrenched in a place that one must rebel against it to escape it, then that area has problems).
Having steady work with a middle income is non-ghetto. Getting a solid education is non-ghetto. Getting people in a ghetto to give up ways that consign them to failure is non-ghetto... and heroic.
Most of us know examples. Speaking proper English, refusing to use profanity except under stress, having good work habits... maybe we are surprised at times, but then some people defy stereotypes.
I have also heard that as India was once part of the British Empire, they wound up with many poor immigrants who struggled in India. In the United States though, many from India came to omegle cps test get a quality education. As a result, the two culture have different ideas of what it means to be from India. Those that pre judge people by their place of origin or skin color can be spectacularly wrong in their pre judgements.
But England has its ways, and people adapt or fail. So it is if one is from some dying city in Ohio.
thank you!

LaimNoah

Post by LaimNoah »

Equality is important to me. Castes exist in animals, but not in humans, so every human being should be equal.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

LaimNoah wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:39 am
Equality is important to me. Castes exist in animals, but not in humans, so every human being should be equal.
Freedom is important to me. Why? It can exist - and more importantly, it is inherently good. Equality can't, at least when people are free, which is why in itself it means nothing.

It's sad I have to tell yet another delusional ideologue this.