Middle Earth Magic

As requested, this sub-forum is for partying, fun, gossip, conundrums, flirting, comedy, tragedy, or whatever.
Bob Butler

Middle Earth Magic

Post by Bob Butler »

The following has nothing to do with modern politics, save perhaps loose throwing around of the word ‘fool’. I am a big fan of Tolkien, and spotted a patten which few have. It has much to say of the magic of Middle Earth. Basically, when two important folks square off in combat, there is an exchange of something between a curse and a prophecy. These can come to have much effect on the ensuing combat and the major conflicts of the time.

Five examples.

1. Frodo against the Nazgul before Rivendell.
Tolkien wrote:“Go back.”

“To Mordor we will take you.”

“By Luthien and Elbereth the fair, you shall have neither the ring nor me.”
Straight forward simple prophecy. Easy to miss. Not conclusive.

2. Gandalf against the Balrog.
Tolkien wrote:""You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."
Again, a simple statement. Unfair as the Balrog is not taking part in the dialogue. A statement of what is to come.

3. Gandalf against the Witch King at the gates of Mines Tirith. The first complex dual between two adepts, and likely the most messy example.
Tolkien wrote:“You cannot enter here,’ said Gandalf and the huge shadow halted. ‘Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!’

The black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! He had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.

‘Old fool!’ He said. ‘Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!’ And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizards or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin’s sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
Note, Gandalf with his prophecy was not just looking to turn the Witch King at the gate. He included Sauron in his curse. He was out to win the war then and there. The counter curse, to come true, required the Nazgul to kill Gandalf then and there. He didn’t. He also declared it his hour. Earlier in the books, it was established that in Gondor, the first hour of the day began with sunrise. The cock crowing indicated that the Witch King’s self proclaimed hour had ended.

4. Eowyn against the Witch King.
Tolkien wrote:‘Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!’

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.’

A sword rang as it was drawn. ‘Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.’

‘Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!’

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. ‘But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.’

The winged creature screamed at her, but the Ringwraith made no answer, and was silent, as if in sudden doubt.
The Nazgul knew he had lost the exchange of prophecies.

5. The One Ring against Gollum

After Gollum’s next to last fight against Frodo, the One Ring itself took a turn.
Tolkien wrote:Then suddenly, as before under the eves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than the shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet fill with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire there spoke a commanding voice.

‘Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.’
And there you have it. In all of fantasy, the dumbest possible prophecy.

osnwewe

Re: Middle Earth Magic

Post by osnwewe »

Middle Earth Magic" truly captivates the imagination with its enchanting blend of mysticism, epic storytelling, and intricate world-building. J.R.R. Tolkien's creation has left an indelible mark on the fantasy genre, drawing readers and viewers into a realm where magic is intertwined with the very fabric of existence. From the wise wizards to the powerful artifacts, this magical tapestry adds a rich layer to the already captivating tales of Middle-earth. It's a testament to Tolkien's genius that Middle-earth continues to inspire mba paper writer online and transport us to a world where magic is not just a plot device but an integral part of the narrative's heart and soul.

Tom Mazanec

Re: Middle Earth Magic

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Thanks osnwewe and BB.
I learned about Tolkien’s cosmos in 1972, in 8th grade. My friend Mark asked if I had read The Hobbit. I had never heard of it and thought he had said The Habit, supposing it was a book about drug addiction (1972 remember). He told me about it…when we went on a pre-graduation retreat a few days later the retreat master had us howl for some reason and Mark said we were orcs :-)
I spent the first month of my summer vacation reading LOTR and loved it.
Tolkien’s magic is the best developed in all fantasy. For example, Sauron had to pour his life force into the One Ring to wield it as a tool. So when it was destroyed by being cast into the volcano where it was forged, Sauron himself was destroyed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain