Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
spottybrowncow

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by spottybrowncow »

Stevealger wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 am
Just a quick question for John , you often speak about your computer skills. Why is your website so rudimentary?
Not trying to pick a fight just curious.
Not answering for John, but your comment prompts an observation on my part.
Simplicity is really, quite often, a virtue in and of itself.
I think people are drawn to this website purely by the ideas expressed on it.

JCP

Post by JCP »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 am
Stevealger wrote:
Just a quick question for John , you often speak about your computer skills. Why is your website so rudimentary?
Not trying to pick a fight just curious.
Not answering for John, but your comment prompts an observation on my part.
Simplicity is really, quite often, a virtue in and of itself.
I think people are drawn to this website purely by the ideas expressed on it.
I like the website as it is. Keep it simple.

John

Post by John »

** 19-Jan-2021 World View: Web Site simplicity
Stevealger wrote:
> Just a quick question for John , you often speak about your
> computer skills. Why is your website so rudimentary? Not trying
> to pick a fight just curious.
Well, I wrote the web site code in the early 2000s in a couple of
hundred thousand lines of Perl code. I implemented an enormous amount
of functionality (very sophisticated for that time), and it's served
me very well for almost 20 years. Over the years I've set up about
ten complete web sites using the same core code. I used a layered
approach so that the entire web site is described by ascii files. So
I can set up a whole new web site in a day, and I've done that several
times. The web site code is very powerful, and does everything that I
need.

Also, Perl itself is powerful and simple. Languages like Java, C++,
and even Php are constantly coming out with new versions, new upgrades
and new libraries that require the web site to changed or at least
recompiled. That's not a problem with my web site. Also my web site
could run on a Windows, Linux, or any other server, with no changes.

So sure, I could spend a month rewriting the web site in C++ or Java,
with all kinds of bells and whistles, but why would I ever want to do
that?

And then there's this point:
spottybrowncow wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 am
> Not answering for John, but your comment prompts an observation on
> my part. Simplicity is really, quite often, a virtue in and of
> itself. I think people are drawn to this website purely by the
> ideas expressed on it.
Absolutely! It's probably a generational thing, but I dread it when I
receive an e-mail message from an online service I've been using, and
it says: "Get ready for a whole new online experience!! Our new web
site will be up next week, and you'll be dazzled and thrilled by what
you see!! Just wait -- you're going to be soooooo happy and excited."
Lol!

I dread those announcements because I know that the new web site will
be bloated, buggy, slow and barely usable, with all kinds of gifs and
videos popping up all over the place getting in way of getting work
done. Then of course since the new web site was probably written by a
kid who knows nothing about software engineering except how to set up
a web page, the new web site will link to about 50 other web sites
through Javascript, which means that the web site will be unusable
unless I enable javascript for those 50 other sites. All in all,
those web sites are a piece of crap for several months until the bugs
are worked out.

Sooooooo, as spotty points out, I like the simplicity of my web site.
The people who come to my web site are interested in content. Would I
get more clicks if the web site were more dazzling? I would be
interesting in somebody trying to make that argument, but I don't
think so.
JCP wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 am
> I like the website as it is. Keep it simple.
Me too. Thanks.

JCP

Post by JCP »

And Amazon can't kick you off of the cloud...

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

I find this whole thing of dire predictions laughable in the sense that if they are true, the only way out given all of y'all's hysteria ... is bitcoin.

Go re-read what everyone has written and re-think the only possibility of "saving" you and escaping the "exit tax" system, etc.

The irony here is amazing. I am not predicting anything per se, which is why I ask a lot of questions about all of the predictions here. I set a probability for each claimed scenario. There is one thing you cannot go wrong with and is the only way out, though, and it is what I have said. The lack of understanding this is really a tremendous frailty in all of your understanding, given that all I see around here is heavily based on (secular) end of times type thinking.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:28 pm
I find this whole thing of dire predictions laughable in the sense that if they are true, the only way out given all of y'all's hysteria ... is bitcoin.

Go re-read what everyone has written and re-think the only possibility of "saving" you and escaping the "exit tax" system, etc.

The irony here is amazing. I am not predicting anything per se, which is why I ask a lot of questions about all of the predictions here. I set a probability for each claimed scenario. There is one thing you cannot go wrong with and is the only way out, though, and it is what I have said. The lack of understanding this is really a tremendous frailty in all of your understanding, given that all I see around here is heavily based on (secular) end of times type thinking.
Do NOT convert your money to bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency. Not even if you know how to set up a "cold wallet" so you can access it without an internet connection.

Once war breaks out, large portions of the internet will go down indefinitely; so it will be much more difficult to make online transactions, including those necessary to convert your cryptocurrency back into normal currency. And that's assuming your cryptocurrency isn't erased from existence by an EMP attack.

A much safer option would be to convert your money into physical assets, such as gold and silver. Those won't be erased from existence by war.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

John wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 pm
18-Jan-21 World View -- Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan

Iran offers Shia fighters to fight the Taliban and ISIS

** 18-Jan-21 World View -- Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e210118

Contents:
Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan
Why the Afghan peace agreement must fail
Abandoning the peace talks
I agree with you that there is no settlement to be made in Afghanistan.

While people can make many complaints about Trump, one of his best qualities is that he didn't get the US into more wars and ratcheted down troop committed to former wars. I think it's unfortunate he couldn't have done a complete withdrawal from Afghanistan before he left office. 20 years, 2,400 American lives, hundreds of billions of dollars and very little to show for it. The US tried a lot of things and most of them failed.

If Iran or China wants to give it shot, let them waste their blood and treasure for a change.

Burner Prime

Post by Burner Prime »

There will be a lot of brave celebrities at Biden's inauguration, sadly Cuomo won't be attending...'cause he skeered...

But thousands of fearless supporters are coming!

https://nypost.com/cover/january-19-2021/

hahahahaha
You all are toast, America is toast...

Burner Prime

Post by Burner Prime »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 pm
John wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 pm
18-Jan-21 World View -- Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan

** 18-Jan-21 World View -- Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e210118

Contents:
Chaos grows in Afghanistan as American troops leave in hope of delusional peace plan
Why the Afghan peace agreement must fail
I agree with you that there is no settlement to be made in Afghanistan.

While people can make many complaints about Trump, one of his best qualities is that he didn't get the US into more wars and ratcheted down troop committed to former wars.
You guys are worried about a couple thousand troops deployed halfway across the world when millions of people are set to invade the southern border over the next few years, and ten million illegals tracked for citizenship "On Day One(Trademark) of my Administration". (kekw)

Even if the Taliban took over completely or Al Qaeda fully regrouped it would pose no existential threat to the US. The Trade Towers catastrophe was not an existential threat; the invasion by 10's of millions, the demographic change on the order of 50-100million will change the nature of this country forever.

This country is behaving the same as people I've known whose life is collapsing. They tend to worry about other people and spend all their time trying to solve other people's problems, while totally ignoring their own obvious collapse. It a way to ignore the problem right in front of their eyes.

The US is trying to solve other countries' problems in the same way.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Burner Prime wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:58 pm
You guys are worried about a couple thousand troops deployed halfway across the world when millions of people are set to invade the southern border over the next few years, and ten million illegals tracked for citizenship "On Day One(Trademark) of my Administration". (kekw)

Even if the Taliban took over completely or Al Qaeda fully regrouped it would pose no existential threat to the US. The Trade Towers catastrophe was not an existential threat; the invasion by 10's of millions, the demographic change on the order of 50-100million will change the nature of this country forever.

This country is behaving the same as people I've known whose life is collapsing. They tend to worry about other people and spend all their time trying to solve other people's problems, while totally ignoring their own obvious collapse. It a way to ignore the problem right in front of their eyes.

The US is trying to solve other countries' problems in the same way.
Actually, there is an existential threat coming out of the Middle East. It's called the petrodollar agreement. That goes, and our economy instantly collapses like a house of cards.

That's why we're getting involved in the Middle East so much. It's all about protecting Saudi Arabia and advancing its geopolitical interests. If we don't do that, we risk an economic disaster worse than the Great Depression.

Saudi Arabia is probably the only country whose clout over our economy rivals that of China's. In fact, it may even surpass China's.