Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Topics related to current and historical events occurring in various countries and regions
thomasglee

Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Post by thomasglee »

I was hoping to get a country study on South Korea as that is a main area of business for me and and area of interest (my name is Lee, but think of Lee as in Robert E.) as I am married to a Korean (for over 20 years), have family (her's) there and many long time friends. I was stationed in Korea in the late 80's while in the Army and I consider the country my "second home".

I would not consider World War II as a Generational Crisis War for South Korea. The Korean's have always been a "conquered" people (they don't like to admit it, but they've pretty much always been subservient to either the Japanese or the Chinese - depending on who was strongest at any given time) as Korea was always stuck between China and Japan. I would consider the Korean War as a Generational Crisis though as that war, more than World War II, seemed to impact Korea the most. Remember, Korea was officially annexed in 1910 (sooner in reality) and while Koreans had some involvement in WWII, it wasn't that vast and they weren't "terrorized" as the Chinese were.

When I look at the Koreans of today, they seem to be moving into their Culture Wars (Unraveling Era), which puts them not that far behind us.

I just came across your site and I'm very impressed. I've always made comparisons to where Korea is in it's development to various states of America's. I didn't know about GD, but now that I do... I get it!
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

thomasglee

Re: Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Post by thomasglee »

Of course, now that I've gone back and read more on your theory, I see how I am most likely wrong in my assumption. I'm going to do a little of my own research to learn where Korea stands today. I know that the Korean war was more "damaging" to the Korean people than WWII (they suffered a hell of a lot more), but it still might not meet the standards of a crisis war. I still think it might though, but for different reasons. Knowing the culture, the people and the "history behind the history" gives me some insight that I will try to share and get opinions on.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

John

Post by John »

Dear Thomas,

Welcome to the forum!
thomasglee wrote: > I was hoping to get a country study on South Korea as that is a
> main area of business for me and and area of interest (my name is
> Lee, but think of Lee as in Robert E.) as I am married to a Korean
> (for over 20 years), have family (her's) there and many long time
> friends. I was stationed in Korea in the late 80's while in the
> Army and I consider the country my "second home".
I've written many reports on the relationships between South Korea,
North Korea, Japan and China. The following has a historical summary:

** South Korean politicians are 'euphoric' over North Korea nuclear deal
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 16#e070216

John

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

John wrote:Dear Thomas,

Welcome to the forum!

I've written many reports on the relationships between South Korea,
North Korea, Japan and China. The following has a historical summary:

** South Korean politicians are 'euphoric' over North Korea nuclear deal
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 16#e070216

John
Thank you for the welcome and the link. Your analysis makes a lot of sense - they have skipped a generation.

How do you believe migration affects GD? I see a lot of Koreans that were raised in America heading back to Korea and the impact it is having on the country. In my opinion migration has contributed a lot to Korea having skipped one to one and a half generations. There is a huge disparity between Koreans raised in Korea and Koreans raised in America but now living in Korea. I also see within the Korean community in America a HUGE difference between the families that immigrated here in the 60's, 70's and early 80's and those from the late 80's to present.

I lived in Korea from 1986 to 1989 as a young soldier. I'm blessed though in that I recognized my time there was during a very historical era for the country and I look back fondly on seeing how the country changed for the Olympics. When I arrived in 1986 Chun Do Hwan was the military dictator and when I left in 1989, they had had their first free election and the country as much less militaristic. I was in Korea last month and will going again next week and it's not the same country!

Your site is very addictive and I'm enjoying reading it. Thank you!