Diversity

Post by Bob Butler »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:23 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 am
Higgenbotham wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:24 pm
When you want to issue demands for abortion for the purpose of making sacrifices to the gods of materialism and corporate profits that sounds an awful lot like pagan ritual sacrifice to appease the gods based on the superstition of deriving some benefit. Based on that, making demands for abortion so you can harvest more corporate profits when it really will not do anything like that in the long run is closer to a "medieval superstition" than the enduring belief that a human has a soul.
I have never heard of a god of materialism or corporate profits.
Watch the first 3 minutes of this video and then you will have.
Someone who is really into materialism or corporate profits will not focus on a god. That thought pattern is fairly modern. He will think in very different terms. One does not accumulate a large fortune by worship, sacrifice, prayer, etc…. One learns to buy and sell stocks wisely, or produce a profitable product well and cheaply.

The Billy Graham presentation turned me off. The two greatest commandments according to the nuns were to love God and love one’s neighbor. Graham’s focus on the church, on the bureaucracy, was little to do with my struggle with God, with the paradox of being an engineering student and member of the Christian Fellowship. Under what conditions will God disregard his very predicable scientific rules? Is the universe physical or spiritual? Graham’s speech might have reflected what was important to him, but he felt way off base.

But mostly it is about diversity. Different people want different things, come from different cultures. The thought that all should focus all attention on the same thing seems wrong. In the abortion issue you have women creating families in their own time and way. Some may care a lot about their job, or their football team, or their political party. To suggest there is one way to perceive and focus the world is just wrong. Freedom implies each gets to make their own choice on what is important in their life, how they will spend their energy.

On my computer, I have a 3D art program, a flight simulator and a web browser. All three could become the important central focus of my life. But I don’t lock myself into one thing only. I cared deeply about communism and worked on defense. I cared about my role playing games. I owned a catamaran. I was a big fan in turn of Bobby Orr, Larry Bird and Tom Brady. I had and have a diversity of interests, and can understand how others would also have their diverse foci. Love is an important one. Others might concentrate on hating, oppressing and killing anyone different. A coercive person might want others to forget all about their own interests and take up whatever they think is important, such as a medieval superstition.

Let it go. Let each person become him or her self. Don’t try to make everyone you.

Higgenbotham

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
Bob Butler wrote:

Someone who is really into materialism or corporate profits will not focus on a god.
Now that you've heard about the gods of materialism from the pastor who counseled 7 or 8 Presidents of the United States, he explained the distinction between worshiping the gods of materialism versus the one true God (according to Christianity).

Those who worship the gods of materialism have substituted worship of money for worship of the one true God. They think nothing of demanding abortions, that fetuses be sacrificed in order to accumulate even more money. Technical details aside, it essentially amounts to neo-pagan human sacrifice to the gods of materialism.

You speak as if I'm trying to tell liberals what to do. No, I'm telling what liberals actually do.

I'm only discussing this because you obsessively moan about it and insult Christians (I am not a practicing Christian, as my post history would indicate). I made 2 significant posts in 11 years about abortion and 1 insignificant post before you started moaning about it. That's documented.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Re: Two Madonnas?

Post by guest »

Bob Butler wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:58 pm
Guest wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:33 am
Bob Butler wrote:

How about Madonna?
Which one? The virgin is an almost sorta goddess. The singer is a rockstar. They don't muddle together very well. They do kind of exemplify the medieval and modern ideals of what a woman should be I suppose. They show how expecting the two worldviews to play well together wouldn't be expected. Trying to force one to be the other doesn't work very well.
Oh, yeah, he must have meant the Mother of Christ... :roll:

Bob Butler

Materialism as the liberal ideal?

Post by Bob Butler »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:04 am

Now that you've heard about the gods of materialism from the pastor who counseled 7 or 8 Presidents of the United States, he explained the distinction between worshiping the gods of materialism versus the one true God (according to Christianity).

Those who worship the gods of materialism have substituted worship of money for worship of the one true God. They think nothing of demanding abortions, that fetuses be sacrificed in order to accumulate even more money. Technical details aside, it essentially amounts to neo-pagan human sacrifice to the gods of materialism, including the women who value control of their own bodies, health care, and families. There is much more to life than just dollars.

You speak as if I'm trying to tell liberals what to do. No, I'm telling what liberals actually do.

I'm only discussing this because you obsessively moan about it and insult Christians (I am not a practicing Christian, as my post history would indicate). I made 2 significant posts in 11 years about abortion and 1 insignificant post before you started moaning about it. That's documented.
And I think you mistaken. I got into communications as my father was an old New England Telephone guy. I grew up playing with old surplus phone equipment, and was good at it and it seemed easy to manipulate low voltage electricity. I stuck with one company rather than chasing the highest possible salary during times when some were jumping around to maximize salary. I wasn’t driven by materialism, nor do I believe most liberals are so driven. My diversity of interests reflects many people.

Was that true in medieval times? There was at least an attempt to put God in the center of things. This was regarded as His proper place. These days His place is diminishing for many people, including but hardly limited to women who value control of their own bodies, health care and families. Let it. Imposing medieval superstitions on others is not the government’s place.

We should likely move this discussion to the abortion thread.

Bob Butler

A Double Standard?

Post by Bob Butler »

guest wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:46 am
The double standard never leaves you, mate.
There was a double standard before Jan 6. If a leftist cause attempted a protest, Trump would invoke as much security as he could. If a rightist cause were involved, he would want to cut the magnometers and allow weapons for use against government employees. In this example, a policy that is evenly enforceable was followed. Would if the practiced equitably and fairly? I'd be tempted to watch, to see if the policy is really consistent.

Higgenbotham

Re: Materialism as the liberal ideal?

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:26 am
Higgenbotham wrote:

Those who worship the gods of materialism have substituted worship of money for worship of the one true God. They think nothing of demanding abortions, that fetuses be sacrificed in order to accumulate even more money. Technical details aside, it essentially amounts to neo-pagan human sacrifice to the gods of materialism.

And I think you mistaken. I got into communications as my father was an old New England Telephone guy. I grew up playing with old surplus phone equipment, and was good at it and it seemed easy to manipulate low voltage electricity. I stuck with one company rather than chasing the highest possible salary during times when some were jumping around to maximize salary. I wasn’t driven by materialism, nor do I believe most liberals are so driven. My diversity of interests reflects many people.

Was that true in medieval times? There was at least an attempt to put God in the center of things. This was regarded as His proper place. These days His place is diminishing for many people, including but hardly limited to women who value control of their own bodies, health care and families. Let it. Imposing medieval superstitions on others is not the government’s place.

We should likely move this discussion to the abortion thread.
First, I removed your editing of my post from this post. By editing my post, you demonstrated how obsessive you are about this topic.

Basically, the high priests of materialism (an example would be Warren Buffett, the so-called "Oracle of Omaha" who heads up the so-called "Pilgrimage to Omaha" for those who attend his annual meeting having to do with how to make more more more money) lead the herd. The media reports in detail to the herd about every move and every word that the high priests of materialism make or say. That is usually accompanied by the word "billionaire". You and I are part of the herd. To some extent, we all are, as we all live in this stew that the high priests of materialism have had an outsized hand in creating. You are a true believer in what the high priests of materialism are doling out to the herd about the topic of abortion. I am not.
Buffett bequests billions for abortion

JACK FOWLER
July 8, 2022

Warren Buffet’s mega estate—$90 billion and counting—is poised to flood the abortion movement.

Warren Buffett, the aging and revered Nebraska investor, long ago shook the philanthropy world with his promise in 2006 (when he was worth only $44 billion) to distribute the overwhelming majority of his massive Berkshire Hathaway wealth to nonprofits during his lifetime. He’s had the time to make partial good on his word. On the cusp of his 92nd birthday (August 30th), the amount of Berkshire Hathaway stock the “Oracle of Omaha” has donated (to several family charities, and primarily to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation) has reached at least a cumulative $40 billion.

Much of this largesse, especially those donated funds that have found their way into the coffers of the Buffett family’s private foundation, have been redistributed to organizations advocating, fighting, and training for—as well as providing and even bankrolling—abortion.

There’s been decades of generosity here. But in terms of raw dollars donated to the NARALs of the world, this may have been just an opening act.

Well before he made widely reported philanthropic proclamations—such as his charity partnership with Bill Gates, and the development of The Giving Pledge—Buffett’s original foundation made regular and large grants (they have totaled well over a billion dollars) to standbys like Planned Parenthood, the Guttmacher Institute, National Abortion Federation, to entities engaged in abortion-related research (Buffett was a major supporter of the “RU-486” abortion pill), and to a phalanx of other groups, small and large, swimming in the same bloody waters of “reproductive choice.”

These charity recipients include many not-so-obvious institutions that have proven central to abortion practices. And they weren’t getting chump change. An example of such, from a Mother Jones 2016 article cataloguing Buffett’s broad abortion philanthropy, finds that college-giving—a thing unsuspicious at first glance—could indeed be hard-core abortion-giving:

Buffett’s main academic partner (receiving at least $88 million from 2001 to 2014) has been the University of California-San Francisco, a medical research institution with a strong reproductive health infrastructure. (Abortion opponents’ perspective is a bit different: “America’s abortion training academy,” one National Right to Life official recently called it).

That was then. As for now, and for what’s over the horizon, a fair question is, How much more is there to give? From the perspective of pro-life organizations, the question may be more appropriately stated, How much more are our opponents to receive?

The answer to either question is “plenty,” and wondering about this and more has become a topic of increasing public interest. Buffett-watchers predict that much of his estate is likely to find its way into abortion-rights causes and advocacy, as well as the actual bloody performance of that life-ending act.
https://philanthropydaily.com/buffett-b ... -abortion/

No surprise.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Cool Breeze

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Cool Breeze »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Bob Butler wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:

Someone who is really into materialism or corporate profits will not focus on a god.

The guy worships the state/Caesar, who poses as a God.

Everything these people talk about are idols that are passing away, which is why God warned against them (beyond the fact that they are temporarily governed or allowed to have association with rebellious/evil spirits).

He has trust in the government and not God, and he thinks his god can "fix things." Meanwhile, as the state got bigger and more "powerful" per his desire (and his friends, who are also deceived), the culture and economy have become increasingly broken. Instead of coming to his senses about this, he blames other things, people, to hide the obvious truth and foolishness of his ways.

As I've said many times, he has chosen to follow lies, and that means the Father of Lies of course, the progenitor of such confusion and chaos.

I would stop interacting with him, as nothing good can come of it. I tried for a while. It's a complete waste of time.

Bob Butler

Diverse values

Post by Bob Butler »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:21 am
Basically, the high priests of materialism (an example would be Warren Buffett, the so-called "Oracle of Omaha" who heads up the so-called "Pilgrimage to Omaha"...
Well, I did visit Omaha. I went to Offutt Air Force Base a long time ago (1980?) to install one of my communications projects. That had little to do with any desire for materialistic things. I thought at the time you had to ‘pay your dues”. Do your schoolwork. Be productive at work. The monetary reward just came with it.

As an oddity, my tenant’s grandparents were jewelers, and were more than a little rich. (Understatement, Big understatement.) I have been helping my tenant out, and may be very rich too someday as an oversized thank you. (It is really bad form to declare your mother dead to steal her inheritance, when you know she isn’t dead. We call the ramifications The Saga.. Big mess. (Understatement.)) Anyway, I would just have no idea what to do with all that money.

My daydreams include setting up scholarships for my four great nieces/nephew. My niece is the curator of Cape Cod’s shark museum. (It is possible to be all about great white sharks and afraid of turtles. It is possible to care much more about sea life than financial security.) I might do something for the sharks. She is the only member of the family involved in something resembling a charity.

My supposed obsession with money is limited to using mutual accounts set up when I was working. You have to do something with your money.

I did edit your post, but it was in an effort to keep the entry short. John doesn’t seem to like my putting long posts in the main thread. Glad for the move.

In short, you seem very confused about what I value and believe. Imposing medieval superstitions on others is not the government’s place. I care more about the Constitution than abortion or finance.
Last edited by Bob Butler on Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bob Butler

Personal Attacks

Post by Bob Butler »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:30 am
I would stop interacting with him, as nothing good can come of it. I tried for a while. It's a complete waste of time.
I too stopped responding to your many personal attacks, but every once in a while you talk about an issue. Against my better judgement, I sometimes respond.

Higgenbotham

Re: Diverse values

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:07 am
Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:21 am
Basically, the high priests of materialism (an example would be Warren Buffett, the so-called "Oracle of Omaha" who heads up the so-called "Pilgrimage to Omaha"...
Well, I did visit Omaha. I went to Offutt Air Force Base a long time ago (1980?) to install one of my communications projects. That had little to do with any desire for materialistic things. I thought at the time you had to ‘pay your dues”. Do your schoolwork. Be productive at work. The monetary reward just came with it.

As an oddity, my tenant’s grandparents were jewelers, and were more than a little rich. (Understatement, Big understatement.) I have been helping my tenant out, and may be very rich too someday as an oversized thank you. (It is really bad form to declare your mother dead to steal her inheritance, when you know she isn’t dead. We call the ramifications The Saga.. Big mess. (Understatement.)) Anyway, I would just have no idea what to do with all that money.

My daydreams include setting up scholarships for my four great nieces/nephew. My niece is the curator of Cape Cod’s shark museum. (It is possible to be all about great white sharks and afraid of turtles. It is possible to care much more about sea life than financial security.) I might do something for the sharks. She is the only member of the family involved in something resembling a charity.

My supposed obsession with money is limited to using mutual accounts set up when I was working. You have to do something with your money.

I did edit your post, but it was in an effort to keep the entry short. John doesn’t seem to like my putting long posts in the main thread. Glad for the move.

In short, you seem very confused about what I value and believe. Imposing medieval superstitions on others is not the government’s place. I care more about the Constitution than abortion or finance.
I am not accusing you of having any obsession with money. I believe the opposite - that you have lived your life in such a way that you are relatively unconcerned and unaware of money. That unawareness would probably make you not able to clearly recognize the corrupting influence of money on the question of abortion.

So let me spell it out step by step, very slowly.

1. America is the richest country in the world.
2. America has a very high wealth gap.
3. Due to factors 1. and 2., there are a lot of very, very rich people in America.
4. The very, very rich people in America, by and large, want to keep it that way.
5. Rich people generally spend almost all of their time working or thinking about money and that's one reason why they are rich.
6. When a person spends all of his time working or thinking about money, that experience influences his view of the world.
7. For such a person, when any given topic comes up, how to make some money automatically enters front and center into the thought process.
8. For any given topic, some of the ways money can be made are buying political influence and influencing public opinion.
9. To influence public opinion, you can, for example, play to the media or buy a newspaper (The Washington Post, for example).
10. If you are going to buy media influence it helps to get it cheap because it buys more influence.
11. Very rich people understand that the average person is not as interested in money as they are.
12. The rich use things that the average person does care about to influence their opinions.
13. There are many ways the rich influence opinions to make money on any given issue and they will figure out how to do that before others do.
14. The average person may not understand how and why the rich influence their opinions because the average person doesn't think that way.
15. Added in anticipation - no, this is not a conspiracy theory.